Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I Batch Move Files in Capture One?  (Read 716 times)

Aram Hăvărneanu

How can I Batch Move Files in Capture One?
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:40:48 am »

With process recipes you can easily place files wherever you want, but to my knowledge that requires converting the files to some format. I just want to move the raw files. Is this possible?

Also, can I have dependencies between recipes, and have everything just work automatically?

Thanks!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: How can I Batch Move Files in Capture One?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 11:26:57 am »

With process recipes you can easily place files wherever you want, but to my knowledge that requires converting the files to some format. I just want to move the raw files. Is this possible?

Also, can I have dependencies between recipes, and have everything just work automatically?

Hi Aram,

You can drag entire folders with Raw files (and accompanying variant settings, etc.) in Capture One's Library panel.

Not sure what you mean with dependencies between recipes. Could you elaborate?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 03:15:56 pm »

For example when doing focus stacking, I would prefer the following workflow:
  • demosaic image to linear DNG (still a raw file), with no distortion correction and no capture sharpening (I use a 3rd party, non C1 program to do this step)
  • stack those images in some 3rd party software that can stitch raw files, like HeliconFocus
  • apply sharpening and perhaps distortion correction after stitching
Basically each step depends on the results of the previous step and can't proceed until the precending step has completed. I can do thise steps manually, but I wish there was a way the software could keep track of all this on its own. Also the intermediary DNG files are of no use to me after HeliconFocus returns. It would be great if the software would know to delete these intermediary files.

However, it seems the recipe feature of C1 is designed for something else, mostly for producing final files. Not only it can't keep track of dependencies, but it lacks other features that I would need to make use of it this way, like the ability to run some 3rd party program on the files.

I would be happy if C1 could generate the DNG for me, so I wouldn't need to use some other tool, but C1 can't do that, AFAICT. C1 will happily encode an image into a DNG container, but it lacks the ability of generating a trully scene-referred file with no color translation. Also, in case you are wondering why I don't let Helicon Focus do the raw processing, it's because I would lack control over it.

This is mostly academical. Currently I don't use C1 at all, but I am evaluating whether it would make sense for me to start using it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 03:52:26 pm by Aram Hăvărneanu »

IanSeward

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 03:46:31 pm »

For example when doing focus stacking, I would prefer the following workflow:
  • demosaic image to linear DNG (still a raw file), with no distortion correction and no capture sharpening (I use a 3rd party, non C1 program to do this step)
  • stack those images in some 3rd party software that can stitch raw files, like HeliconFocus
  • apply sharpening and perhaps distortion correction after stitching
Basically each step depends on the results of the previous step and can't proceed until the precending step has completed. I can do thise steps manually, but I wish there was a way the software could keep track of all this on its own. Also the intermediary DNG files are of no use to me after HeliconFocus returns. It would be great if the software would know to delete these intermediary files.

However, it seems the recipe feature of C1 is designed for something else, mostly for producing final files. Not only it can't keep track of dependencies, but it lacks other features that I would need to make use of it this way, like the ability to run some 3rd party program on the files.

I would be happy if C1 could generate the DNG for me, so I wouldn't need to use some other tool, but C1 can't do that, AFAICT. C1 will happily encode an image into a DNG container, but it lacks the ability of generating a trully scene-referred file with no color translation. Also, in case you are wondering why I don't let Helicon Focus do the raw processing, it's because I would lack control over it.

This is mostly academical. Currently I don't use C1 at all, but I am evaluating whether it would make sense for me to start using it.

Just a clarification a linear dng is not a raw file but is a demosaiced RGB file, but unlike a tif there is no white balance set.

I am not sure how you apply lens correction after focus stacking as some image cropping can occur? I would have thought it best to apply lens correction to each image during raw conversion?

SrMi

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:12:54 pm »

Just a clarification a linear dng is not a raw file but is a demosaiced RGB file, but unlike a tif there is no white balance set.

I am not sure how you apply lens correction after focus stacking as some image cropping can occur? I would have thought it best to apply lens correction to each image during raw conversion?

Most importantly, a linear DNG file is still scene-referred (like RAW file), not output-referred like TIFFs. That means, if staying within the same 'demosaicing' framework, a linear-DNG file has all the advantages of the original raw file. Applying WB, lens correction, highlights/shadows, etc has the same effect on RAW as on the corresponding linear DNG file.

Good point about lens correction and cropping. If necessary, I think lens correction should be applied while converting to linear DNG.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 12:37:21 pm »

For stiching lens corrections should be applied prior to stiching (unless using a shift lens? not sure).

For focus stacking, it's not clear whether lens corrections should be applied before or after stacking. There are advantages and disadvantages either way. Same for sharpening. Also for macro depends whether you refocus the lens or move the camera.

SrMi

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 12:52:57 pm »

For stiching lens corrections should be applied prior to stiching (unless using a shift lens? not sure).

For focus stacking, it's not clear whether lens corrections should be applied before or after stacking. There are advantages and disadvantages either way. Same for sharpening. Also for macro depends whether you refocus the lens or move the camera.

You cannot apply SDC if the focus stacked image had to be cropped during focus stacking. Otherwise, everything could be done on the linear-DNG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up