Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outsmarting Facial Recognition  (Read 284 times)

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Outsmarting Facial Recognition
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:15:02 am »

It will be interesting to see how legal authorities react to this. We haven't done much about hoodies up to now, don't they conceal the face? Ironic that Halloween is coming up. :)
--
Robert

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:21:08 am »

It will be interesting to see how legal authorities react to this. We haven't done much about hoodies up to now, don't they conceal the face? Ironic that Halloween is coming up. :)

Indeed. One imagines the policed public square, no go zones and anti-tech/5g citadels. Or was I reared on a steady diet of near future sci-fi ???
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 07:35:42 am »

If we can imagine it, it's a good bet that someone else has already thought of it and has made contingency plans.

Do the authorities have the right to know where you are all the of the time? Why?

We don't have to go to great lengths to see some issues arising. Here in Ottawa, there are several places around town (coffee shops and small retail outlets) who no longer accept cash. I get it, handling cash is a pain for them. This will probably only expand. Will it be the case one day soon that using ATMs to withdraw cash will correlate with illegal activities and be worth monitoring? (A friend of mine joked the other day that the only reason to withdraw cash from an ATM is to buy illegal drugs or visit sex workers. Funny line maybe, but with a grain of truth too.)

One aspect that I've noticed as a fan of British TV detective fiction is how often the solution of crimes (on TV anyway) relies on the extensive British public CCTV network. I have no idea if this is creative license or not. I see some unbelievably silly things on CSI-type shows, identifying faces via enhanced analysis of reflections in concave mirrors from across the street in the dark, so I know that TV shows lie.
--
Robert

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 07:49:13 am »

If we can imagine it, it's a good bet that someone else has already thought of it and has made contingency plans.

Do the authorities have the right to know where you are all the of the time? Why?

No, I don't think so. However, in the UK (in London, at least) there are (disturbingly) large areas that you imagine are public, but are in fact owned by someone, and that someone may claim the right to surveil (is that a word?) stuff happening on "their" property.

One aspect that I've noticed as a fan of British TV detective fiction is how often the solution of crimes (on TV anyway) relies on the extensive British public CCTV network. I have no idea if this is creative license or not. I see some unbelievably silly things on CSI-type shows, identifying faces via enhanced analysis of reflections in concave mirrors from across the street in the dark, so I know that TV shows lie.

There was a recent TV show called "Capture" which is based on the idea that law enforcement agencies "correct" CCTV to "show"  baddies doing bad things that the real CCTV did not show, on the basis that it is for the greater good to lock these people away regardless of the actual proof. It was quite good - maybe you can find it for download.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:29:38 am »

Being monitored by government disturbs me. On the other hand,  when someone commits a crime today,  there are so many private surveillance cameras around, the police get their tapes and are able to broadcast their identity and use thre public to find the criminals. I assumed criminals would be more careful hiding their identity.   But most are stupid enough to not care and then get subsequently caught.
Pages: [1]   Go Up