Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Denoise -- wow!!  (Read 951 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Topaz Denoise -- wow!!
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:19:18 am »

I tried this program because of a glowing review on Mark Smith's photo website. And was he ever right! I am astounded by the results. See the examples below. It's not perfect, of course, nothing can replicate low ISO shooting. And some people have reported color shifts, although I have not experienced any. Well worth a try, me thinks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Topaz Denoise -- wow!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:45:08 am »

Any noiseware program can remove noise. The question is at what detail expense. Not quite clear from your examples.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:55:49 pm »

One technique I've found that works is to run the NR software on a separate layer and maybe go a little overboard. Once the filter runs, it's very easy to lower the opacity of the layer and create just the right balance between "plastic" (over processed) and "grain (noise)."
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:25:55 pm »

One technique I've found that works is to run the NR software on a separate layer and maybe go a little overboard. Once the filter runs, it's very easy to lower the opacity of the layer and create just the right balance between "plastic" (over processed) and "grain (noise)."

I just tried denoise and i am not impressed; maybe i tried not lang enough or well enough...
At this point i find Neat image better; it keeps a more normal photo after processing.
The suggestion to mix a noisy and a denoised layer might be a solution in some cases indeed.
Anyway- the noise problem- is mostly when viewed at 100% of the original. You use that large image in print - and in print noise is much less than on screen.
In general the noise i see on screen is almost gone in print.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 09:56:01 pm »

I still use Neat Image as my go tool solution when needing to remove noise. A quick fix for social media and so on I just use LR. I have Topaz Denoise but never really got on with it. Could be someth8ng I’m not doing correctly.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

JaapD

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:32:07 am »

+1. I have similar experiences with Denoise and NeatImage. By the way this also counts for Topaz Sharpen AI versus FocusMagic where I get in general better, more realistic results with FocusMagic. But I have high hopes that AI will get better in the end…

Regards,
Jaap.

MauriceRR

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 02:35:34 am »

Topaz denoise is interesting. On the other hand, it's not the most interesting of ai product from topaz. Gigapixel is clearly the best of all, with sharpen (défocus and stabilize option).

Topaz denoise requieres jpg/tiff in input. It does a great job if you don't have acces to raw files. However, if you own the raw files, a good demosaicing+denoising in raw domain will be more efficient (even with conventionnal algorithmes).
Of course you can manage with both for fine tuning.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 08:02:44 am »

+1. I have similar experiences with Denoise and NeatImage. By the way this also counts for Topaz Sharpen AI versus FocusMagic where I get in general better, more realistic results with FocusMagic. But I have high hopes that AI will get better in the end…

Regards,
Jaap.

I agree about Focus Magic--I am not very impressed with the TOPAZ sharpening tool.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 10:35:40 am »

I agree about Focus Magic--I am not very impressed with the TOPAZ sharpening tool.

It was good for a short time, so it is possible, but then they used a differently trained model and now it's not good anymore.
So when they retrain the AI models, things will improve again.

But it would help if masking capability was added, so the sharpening can be applied selectively.
The same goes for Denoise AI, which does a nice job, but is too heavy handed on dark tones.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

brandon

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 04:15:51 pm »

It was good for a short time, so it is possible, but then they used a differently trained model and now it's not good anymore.

But it would help if masking capability was added, so the sharpening can be applied selectively.
The same goes for Denoise AI, which does a nice job, but is too heavy handed on dark tones.

Cheers,
Bart

I haven't re-tried the software on the same images with each update but anecdotally I do find that the "focus" module causes big artifacts (on tiffs ex Capture One, sharpening disabled) at default settings more than I first recall, whereas "stabilize" seems to be quite remarkable at auto setting, but I still often turn down the settings. Re "sharpen",  again I wonder if its not so good now (I compared the first version directly with focus magic in trial mode and purchased Topaz). How much is "post honeymoon" and how much is actual worsening Im not sure. Has it been to make the software faster? Bart, you have beta tested haven't you..so I guess you have directly seen comparisons of the versions?
Can one roll-back to earlier versions with the installation approach that Topaz uses?

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 05:14:54 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

If you use Denoise or Sharpen on a layer couldn't you use blend-if and protect the shadow areas?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 06:36:57 pm »

If you use Denoise or Sharpen on a layer couldn't you use blend-if and protect the shadow areas?

Yes, but :
1) it shouldn't be necessary with Denoise (especially) when the image has moderate amounts of noise, to begin with
2) if obe uses a plugin to do the job, it shouldn't be necessary to use another application to finish the task.

Sharpening could be a bit different, but would still benefit for workflow reasons if everything could be done within the plugin. Another thing they could add, if that works well with the AI, is an Apply button, which would allow doing multiple runs on the same source image without having to save and reload the intermediate results.

All of these have been requested by beta testers, so over time it might be added, we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 06:43:50 pm »

I haven't re-tried the software on the same images with each update but anecdotally I do find that the "focus" module causes big artifacts (on tiffs ex Capture One, sharpening disabled) at default settings more than I first recall, whereas "stabilize" seems to be quite remarkable at auto setting, but I still often turn down the settings. Re "sharpen",  again I wonder if its not so good now (I compared the first version directly with focus magic in trial mode and purchased Topaz). How much is "post honeymoon" and how much is actual worsening Im not sure. Has it been to make the software faster? Bart, you have beta tested haven't you..so I guess you have directly seen comparisons of the versions?
Can one roll-back to earlier versions with the installation approach that Topaz uses?

Yes, I've been beta testing, which is why I said that it was good at one point, and is not as good now. But that also means that it can be better. I'll keep pointing it out to the developers, so someday they might listen ...  ;)

There is no rollback to previous point release versions possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up