Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1" vs. M43 Cameras  (Read 5336 times)

DP

Re: 1" vs. M43 Cameras
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 01:13:30 pm »

This is what I meant when I said the high ISO shots from the RX10iv can be quite variable in quality.
Both at iso 3200, default LR settings. 100% crops.

as "ISO" is not part of the exposure the right way to say is - based on exposure shots can be different in quality @ the same gain (high or low, whatever)

BJL

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2020, 01:30:49 pm »

The m4/3 made sense when I started with it, but not anymore, since there are excellent APS-C cameras that are physically smaller. For example, the Sony A6400.
I have to dispute once again that the dominant motivation for using a smaller format system is smaller bodies—it is not as if choices between cameras in the same format are dominated by preferring the smallest body! With EVF cameras, there is a lower limit on good body size dictated by the ergonomics of controls, grip, rear screen and such that a particular user wants, not sensor size (which I will note is far smaller than the LCD right behind it, even in 35mm format.)

As far as size goes, what is far more important for many of us (telephoto users in particular) is the lenses, and things like having the smallest total kit that gets the job done for us. That is where smaller formats continue to offer an advantage.

But apart from generalities, the choice between MFT, Sony E, Fujifilm X, Canon M, etc. often comes down to the specifics of how well the system is supported by lenses that go well with the bodies, typically needing a good array of lenses designed for that format and lens mount, rather than lenses designed for a larger format or different lens mount, so requiring a heavy crop of the FOV they were designed for and/or a mount adaptor. There, I would say that MFT and Fujifilm X make a strong case with respect to the other "APS-C" format EVF camera systems, whose makers now seem chronically distracted by 35mm format.

But maybe that lens system issue is not important to Marc, given this comment:
All those lenses were taking the fun out of photography for me, and I found I was leaving the Olympus at home. Just acquired a fixed-lens Fuji X100F.
I agree than for many, a fixed-lens camera in 1", 4/3: or APS-C format can be the better choice, at least for a lightweight kit. But a singe focal length camera like the X100F is the absolute opposite of what I am looking for!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2020, 08:57:44 pm »

Looking at some Z50 data on Bill Claff's site I noticed some interesting things.

1. At base ISO Sony RX10m4 has practically the same dynamic range as Olympus E-M5ii, and gets behind 1-1.5 stops at higher ISOs
2. The newer Oly E-M5iii has almost 1/2 stop more DR at low ISOs than the 2 version but it's the same at ISO 400 and above
3. The Oly E-M1ii has practically the DR as the Fuji X-T2, while X-T3 has 1/2 stop more DR only at base ISOs after which is the same as the X-T2

spidermario

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 06:27:41 pm »

- The Canon G1 X Mk III in its "1.6x" APS-C format, with lens equivalent to 12-36/2.3-4.5 in 4/3" (16-38/2.8-5.6 true values?)

Not quite, the true values are 15-45mm f/2.8-5.6. It’s marketed as a 24-72mm equivalent (which matches your 12-36mm M43 equivalent). In fact, I have one and when the UI displays a focal length (which is not often), it displays the 35mm-equivalent one between 24 and 72, not the true one between 15 and 45.

It’s nice but the lens is somewhat slow at the “long” end (which is also not very long). Still, it’s sharp, has optical stabilization, and is weather-sealed, all in 400 grams (that’s 0.9 lb). It’s the camera that I always have in my backpack in case a photo opportunity presents itself unannounced.

BJL

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 07:36:36 pm »

Not quite, the true values are 15-45mm f/2.8-5.6. It’s marketed as a 24-72mm equivalent...
Thanks: a mixture of a typo and bad arithmetic up there, so I added a correction.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up