Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed: How to apply color gels to Profoto Prohead plus?  (Read 2676 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Help needed: How to apply color gels to Profoto Prohead plus?
« on: October 20, 2019, 04:25:14 pm »

Dear lighting experts/Profoto users,

I have always used my Profoto Prohead plus heads in my own studio without needing to color correct them.

Now I need to use it on location in a mixed lighting setup that will require color correction on the head, and I realize that I don’t know how to apply colored gels to the Prohead plus.

On the D1 I cut round gels that fit on front of the monolight body, but that won’t work with the non recessed tube design of the Prohead Plus.

- would the OCF gel kit work?
- any other third party solution readily available?
- any DIY recommendations?

This is a bit urgent so any advise would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:01:30 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BernardLanguillier

Re: Help needed: How to apply color gels to Profoto Prohead plus?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 03:36:18 am »

The only solution I have found so far is to tape color gel sheets on the inner diffuser of my softboxes.

That doesn't work well for the Paras considering how large the opening is. I have a diffuser cloth for my 88 and that may fly for this one, but the surface to gel for larger paras would be un-manageable... I am therefore considering taping gel on the part supporting the head inside the para... has anyone done that?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:42:33 am by BernardLanguillier »

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 04:03:48 am »

Hi Bernard
I don't use Profoto but with the Broncolor Grafit and Scoro you can change the color temperature +-200K. You also can buy an uncoated protective glass which makes +500K.
If that's not enough you have to tape the gel around the protective glass, but don't use the modelling light with that solution, its too hot!
If you need the modelling light you should use a second unprepared protecting glass for the para to adjust.
Without the mate protecting glass you will have a complete other light.
Hope that helps,
Ben

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 04:30:51 pm »

Don´t cover up the protective dome, you would close the vent holes that are crucial for cooling the flash tube. Also the heat emmitted by the flash tube can easily melt your tape or gel and leave sticky stuff. Always keep space between the dome and the gel. C-47s (clothes pins) work great to attach a gel.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 06:20:26 pm »

Thanks a lot for your kind help!

In the end there was so little prep time for the shoot (less than 10 mins) that I decided to juste switch off the room lights and go with window light and monolight strobe only.

Cheers,
Bernard

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:28:07 pm »

Yes, turning off the offending lights is the easiest solution. I have a grid and gel holder that is designed for the job but will use grip tape to hold gel if using a soft box. I think that I bought mine for $100 on eBay a few years ago. As mentioned, keep a safe distance from the tube so heat does not melt anything.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 10:09:28 pm »

If there was time, and it made more sense, and they weren’t directly visible...I’ve gelled the existing lights instead to match my strobes or daylight.  That’s an option too.  Easier with today’s LEDs as opposed to tungsten bulbs...be mindful of heat!
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Jim Metzger

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:39:53 am »

Depending on the situation I might have done a second exposure with the room lights on, color correct the fixtures / light sources themselves to match the strobes and cut and pasted the fixtures into the full scene.

A good friend does color correction work for a living and will correct every color cast independently in the image. It is crazy time intensive but he can make it look like you spent two days getting everything balanced "in camera".
Pages: [1]   Go Up