Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-M5 iii  (Read 5013 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: E-M5 iii
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2019, 10:08:38 pm »

If you'd like to see what I mean, I created a 4K movie and dumped it on Youtube.  These were photoes reduced to 3840x2160 and published on a 4k video and uploaded to Youtube.  If you have a 4K TV and the bandwidth on your internet, you can check the difference between 4K and HD (2K).  You tell me if you can see a difference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MogdCeRNqBM

Watch in 4k then switch to 2k with the TV uprezing to 4K.  On the Youtube display, you pause the video.  Then go to the three dot menu and change the selection from 4K to 1920x1080 (2K).  Run it some more.  You'll see artifacts on the 2K if you get very close.  The 4K should be pixel for pixel.  But can you tell the difference sitting in the back in your lounger?   I think there's a slight improvement that makes the 4K richer.  What do you think? 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2019, 10:10:14 pm »

You can also check both on a SD TV HDTV 1080 or on your monitor.  Do the same process and tell me what you think?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2019, 10:23:00 pm »

Ok, so I ran my own test with the Yotube video I created.  I have to say the 4K seems sharper over the full depth of where looking especially the closer you get.  There's a better sharpness and clarity with 4K even though the pixelation goes away out about 8 feet or so.  So even though there's no discernment of pixels, the overall image appears shaper with 4K.

HAving said that, the average viewer, probably 99 out of 100 wouldn't notice.  Especially if he was not comparing between two versions.  The 1080 2k would probably be very acceptable to him.

There's one other factor.  I don;t know what bandwidth Youtube is outputting.  The higher it is, the less pixelation.  You probably get better bandwidth out of your own memory card attached to the UHDTV than you get from Youtube over the internet.  Plus the speed of your internet affects their transmission as well.  (So not select Auto.  Select the actual setting either 4k or 1080p.   So that would affect the results a little as well.

What do you think?  How did you interpret it on your TV?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2019, 10:25:43 pm »

I check lettering and numbers and edges of things  for sharpness and clarity and pixelation. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2019, 10:39:17 pm »

During my Youtube test, internet speed was 158Mbps.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 12:47:50 pm »

A couple of days ago I went for a walk in the park with the kids, and they wanted cameras for themselves (the desire only lasted for half of the walk but that's a different story).
So for one of them I got the E-M5ii with a zoom. Minutes into the walk he complains that something is wrong with the camera, and I figured it out he was accidentally switching to manual focus. Which button was that? Good luck, I didn't recall so I dived in the menus and changed it there. A minute later, same thing. So I had to figure it out which button was the culprit but good luck doing that with the moderate thickness gloves, I had to take them off. Eventually I figured it out it was the button next to the lens mount which was getting pressed accidentally and after a little instruction things were better. But this brings me to an older complaint, if I have difficulties operating the E-M5ii with gloves, how can I do it with the E-M5iii which is even smaller?
I was able to operate a Z7 (with a little effort for the next to mount buttons) and a X-T2 (no issues) with the same gloves.
Not to mention that it requires constant and frequent use to recall all the options, you can't just pick the camera after a couple of months and use it without issues; if the m43 is your only system that's probably not a problem, but I still alternate between multiple systems and currently the m43 gets used the least.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 01:34:39 pm »

Whenever I run into a problem with settings, I switch it to full Auto and shoot away. Hopefully the camera knows what it's doing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up