Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji XF 10-24 defocus/decentered?  (Read 770 times)

Naturimago

Fuji XF 10-24 defocus/decentered?
« on: October 16, 2019, 06:13:56 am »

Dear fellow shooters,

I'm a seasoned semi-pro photographer coming from Canon, I'm just starting in the Fuji X series with a brand new X-T30 and I'm loving it! For my first lens I bought a used (in apparent good condition) XF 10-24 f/4 OIS, since I also loved that focal range on my former APS-C canon system. At first glance everything was working great at close up shots with that lens, unfortunately after close inspection I started noticing some strange asymmetrical right side, defocused shots when shooting landscapes at focal lengths greater than 10mm. I tested for decentering with a lot of focal length and aperture combinations with the natestech test chart, with both handheld with OIS and on a tripod without OIS and can't in all honesty see decentering effects. A physical inspection of the lens also shows no signs of significant dust, no fungus at all, no rattling, no bent bayonet, no scratched elements, noting.

I do get slight less bluring when manual focusing (with peaking aid) the same scene, versus autofocusing (single point, non-continuous AF).

I'm at lost here. What can it be? Should I return the lens? Could the camera somehow be the culprit here? Should I lent a lens to test that hypothesis?

XF10-24_AF_18mm

XF10-24_MF_18mm

Best regards,

DC

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Fuji XF 10-24 defocus/decentered?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 07:53:59 am »

Hi DC,

You may find like minded folks on the fuji forum. When I became a Fuji owner, I found help here...https://www.fujix-forum.com/forums/

Hope you find some helpful direction...

Peter

faberryman

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:17:37 am »

Hi DC,

You may find like minded folks on the fuji forum. When I became a Fuji owner, I found help here...https://www.fujix-forum.com/forums/

Hope you find some helpful direction...
The Fuji-X Forum has some of the worst photography imaginable.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:34:36 am »

The Fuji-X Forum has some of the worst photography imaginable.

All forums, and I mean all, are in contention for that moniker...However I would take advice from anywhere if it  solved my issue.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:46:51 am by petermfiore »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 09:25:33 am »

The 10-24 has intermittent issues with OIS when you can get a blurred corner. It is intermittent though and not always reproducible.

Naturimago

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:55 am »

Hi Peter and Faberryman,

Thank you for your input. I already posted on other forums and am still hoping for a reply that might nudge me in the decision to try to return or not the lens...

Armand,

I also read about it elsewhere, I did test with and without OIS and I rather consistently get the same results either way. Thanks.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:41:56 am »

Mine occasionally displays it, mostly in portrait mode. Frustrating when it happens as it's tough to catch it on the camera screen and it's rare enough that I'm not looking for it. It is mostly the corner though, not an entire side.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »

I've used the 10-24 on my X-T1 and X-T2 and not noticed any issues like you describe.

Any chance you could send it to Fuji Support to get the lens checked out?
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up