Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two monitors not calibrating evenly  (Read 811 times)

JohnFynPhoto

• Portfolio John Fyn Photography
Two monitors not calibrating evenly
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:56:32 am »

Greetings folks ;

Hoping someone can help -

I have two monitors, both Adobe RGB spec,
 - Benq SW2700PT
 - Eizo ColorEdge CG241W

I use an X-Rite i1 DisplayPro to calibrate.

When these are calibrated, the Eizo is noticeably warmer in color than the BENQ, which looks cool by comparision. (If both are in CAL mode)
If I switch both to built in SRGB mode, they are spot on identical.

Steps I have taken:
 - On the BENQ, Palette Master Element, BENQ's native software
 - On Eizo, use Color Navigator 6, Eizo's native software

Same result, warm on Eizo.

Then I try X-Rite's software, iProfiler 3.1.1 on both screens, so I can use exact same settings.
Same result, warm on Eizo

So, it seems that using each monitors native calibrate software, or using X-Rite software on both, does yeild the same result (which, at least this is consistant), the Eizo is warmer.

Again, if I come off the Calibrated Setting on each monitopr and use inbuilt sRGB, the monitors are spot on identical.

I can't work this out and its driving me nuts!

Thank you
John

bjanes

Re: Two monitors not calibrating evenly
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:05:14 am »

John,

You do not state what OS (Mac vs Windows) or video card(s) you are using. I understand that dual monitor support is better on the Mac than on some earlier versions of Windows.

Please refer to these two x-rite articles:

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/calibrating_and_profiling_dual_monitors_on_windows_platforms

https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?ID=1970&Action=Support&SupportID=3507

If on Windows, the second monitor needs to be set to extended (not mirrored) but I assume that you have already done this if you want to display different information on the two screens.

The process is rather complicated and involves LUTs (look up tables). The OS needs to load the LUTs into the video card or directly into the monitor. Higher end monitors such as you have offer 14 bit LUTs built into the monitor hardware. If you need additional help, I would suggest calling x-rite support which is excellent.

Regards and good luck,

Bill

JohnFynPhoto

• Portfolio John Fyn Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:10:08 am »

Ah good point,

Running Windows 10 x64, latest build, and nVidia Geforce 1060 card.

The windows are extended you are correct.

I will have a look at those links, thank you, and will report back if I get anywhere.

Cheers

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:22:05 am »

The solution is somewhat easy. You need two dissimilar settings to produce a match. If the Eizo is too warm you need a higher CCT Kelvin value until you get a match.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

simon.garrett@iee.org

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 01:13:44 pm »

I agree with Andrew (digitaldog).

I've had the same problem with an Eizo CS2420 and other monitors - currently a Benq SW271.  In my case, the Eizo always is cooler, even if I calibrate with the same xrite software (rather than using Eizo's Colornavigator and Benq's PaletteMaster).  I think it's the Eizo that's out on mine. Try setting a different K value.  Alter 100K at a time until they then measure the same after calibration/profiling. 

MauriceRR

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 03:29:30 pm »

The solution is somewhat easy. You need two dissimilar settings to produce a match. If the Eizo is too warm you need a higher CCT Kelvin value until you get a match.
So, for you, the white point is not really a measure with the xrite colormeter and calibration software, but a setting ?
So wich screen do you think is probably closer to an accurate measure with a thermocolorimeter ? (it has probably not much sense, as the good one is the one that suits my needs, but I'm curious...).
I also noticed a similar behaviour at my work where I have a dual monitor (NecPA and Eizo CS) with a slight difference between them, the Nec is slightly greener than the other one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 03:33:49 pm by MauriceRR »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 04:36:58 pm »

It's a measure of a substantial range of possible colors:
 http://digitaldog.net/files/22Thecolorofwhite.pdf

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Gray

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 05:27:19 pm »

So, for you, the white point is not really a measure with the xrite colormeter and calibration software, but a setting ?
So wich screen do you think is probably closer to an accurate measure with a thermocolorimeter ? (it has probably not much sense, as the good one is the one that suits my needs, but I'm curious...).
I also noticed a similar behaviour at my work where I have a dual monitor (NecPA and Eizo CS) with a slight difference between them, the Nec is slightly greener than the other one.

A monitor's white point is established by luminance (cd/m^) and either xy coordinates or a specific D value such as D65, D55, D50, etc., each of which has a specific xy coordinate. As Andrew notes, CCT (color temp) is only one dimension and doesn't account for green/magenta tint.

There is also the issue of individual variation in spectral response. Even if the xy coordinates are measured with lab grade equipment there can often be significant variation in the perceived tint if the monitor's backlight has differing technologies or spectra from the R,G and B components. This variation can be perceived and is similar to variations of as high as deltaE 10. I would look at the spectra of the two monitor's whites when set at the same xy (or D value). if the spectras have peaks in different locations then this could well be a problem. There are ways to adjust for this but it's a bit complicated. Basically one has to set the xy of the white point on one monitor so that it looks the same as the other.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:08:03 pm »

Me too. I have two NEC monitors, 30 and 26 inches, and I could never get them to calibrate the same, one being warmer than the other. After fussing with this for a while, I decided -- so what? The 30" matches the prints so I use that for soft-proofing. The other I use for menus, directories, and the like. They don't match? Big whoop. Don't fuss with your monitors, do photography!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up