Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Bridge showing previews in sRGB?  (Read 1231 times)

The View

Is Bridge showing previews in sRGB?
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:48:07 am »

I again have one of those images that look great in Photoshop, but when you look at the Bridge preview, all life has flown out of it.

The key problem is that the sky has a leaning to cyan in Photoshop, and in the Bridge preview it is a reddish blue that looks horrible.

I have created a custom color file, and then in Bridge synced Photoshop and Bridge - but the Bridge preview is still like baby poop.

Also the purple dress looks lifeless. The image was composed on a color contrast cyan/purple and now its shitty baby blue/soggy purplish pink with no luster.

Can it be that in 2019 Adobe Bridge can only preview in sRGB?

The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Re: Is Bridge showing previews in sRGB?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:59:17 am »

I just did a test.

I converted a copy of the file to sRGB and opened it in Photoshop.

Opening it up in Photoshop it looks just as shitty as the Bridge preview.

I can't believe it - but Bridge is unable to display anything but sRGB.

What is wrong with this company?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

MauriceRR

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 03:54:29 am »

Adobe Bridge is correctly color managed since ages.
You must take a look to your color settings, photoshop included.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:07:15 am »

Didn't we discuss this at length here once before:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=122481.0

I would say if it is that important, Adobe can be requested to incorporate the ability in future versions.  I know they have a formal bug reporting process somewhere but not sure if they have one for software feature requests.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:46:03 pm »

My version of Bridge is absolutely color managed as far as it's previews. All I have to do is examine an image in ProPhoto RGB*, in my case, on a wide gamut display.

* http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Gamut_Test_File_Flat.tif
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:31:27 pm »

"I converted a copy of the file to sRGB and opened it in Photoshop.
Opening it up in Photoshop it looks just as shitty as the Bridge preview
".

I also have no issues with the images displayed in Bridge-CS6.

I have just converted one of my reference images(Bill Atkinson) to sRGB and when opening it in PS it is an exact match to the original file.  Therefore, aside from your somewhat questionable language I would say that you should probably check you Color Settings in PS as mentioned previously.   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

The View

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:44:02 pm »

"I converted a copy of the file to sRGB and opened it in Photoshop.
Opening it up in Photoshop it looks just as shitty as the Bridge preview
".

I also have no issues with the images displayed in Bridge-CS6.

I have just converted one of my reference images(Bill Atkinson) to sRGB and when opening it in PS it is an exact match to the original file.  Therefore, aside from your somewhat questionable language I would say that you should probably check you Color Settings in PS as mentioned previously.

I did that. It is a minority of images that do not display correctly in Adobe Bridge.

I have, by the way, created a custom settings file, and synced it via Bridge - and I have the dialogue that I have synced all Adobe applications in color.

The particular picture that has a color contrast of blue/cyan and purple is ruined in the Bridge preview which obviously only is in sRGB. The sRGB conversion opened in Photoshop and the display of the ProPhoto original in Bridge is a perfect match.

Bridge cannot display any color space larger than sRGB.

this mismatch happens rarely - probably as the translation into sRGB works quite well and only with cyan and purple leads to such catastrophic results.

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:34:28 pm »

"It is a minority of images that do not display correctly in Adobe Bridge."

Have you been able to find anything in particular that perhaps all of the minority of images have in common?  It would seem that there is perhaps a color setting or profile that is causing this issue in Bridge with a particular group of image files.  However, at the moment I cannot think of any other part of the image processing to research for this problem.  Hopefully someone will be able to offer more helpful advice.     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

MauriceRR

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 01:27:36 am »

I did that. It is a minority of images that do not display correctly in Adobe Bridge.

I have, by the way, created a custom settings file, and synced it via Bridge - and I have the dialogue that I have synced all Adobe applications in color.

The particular picture that has a color contrast of blue/cyan and purple is ruined in the Bridge preview which obviously only is in sRGB. The sRGB conversion opened in Photoshop and the display of the ProPhoto original in Bridge is a perfect match.

Bridge cannot display any color space larger than sRGB.

this mismatch happens rarely - probably as the translation into sRGB works quite well and only with cyan and purple leads to such catastrophic results.
Could you provide the file ? Or a small version ?
Could it be a cache problem ? Did you try to clear it ?

BAB

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 09:55:37 pm »

There is a bug in the Mojave OS when running two screens and using say LR on your MacBook Pro and PS on the external monitor where the color profile jumps to a contaminated state until you click back to P S on your external monitor. Not alway but sometimes often. Apple has had a problem using PS on two displays for ever why ?.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

The View

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 04:15:37 pm »

Could you provide the file ? Or a small version ?
Could it be a cache problem ? Did you try to clear it ?

Yes, cyans are impossible. There is a certain glowing cyan that Bridge (just as sRGB) cannot display.

I have had 2 images that I could not at all show as their "dumbing down into sRGB" completely destroyed them.

Purple is the other color sRGB/Bridge has problems with.

As noted, I created an sRGB conversion and compared it with the display of the image in Bridge. They matched, which proves that Bridge can only display sRGB. Which is ridiculous in 2019.

The particular image had a glowing cyan/purple color contrast and sRGB totally kills that image.

time to discard this poor color space on the web. sRGB was just created for those old computers who couldn't handle too much color information and those slow dial-up internet connections.

MauriceRR

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »

So provide the files or reduced copies.
Your stateme't is wrong. Adobe Bridge is correctly color managed, bugs are not impossibles of course, but it's probably with photoshop the best color motor engine for viewing/editing photos/images.
Your settings are probably wrong or misunderstood.
On my side I run on Windows 10 with eizo wide gamut screen. Everything is calibrated from camera to pinter without any problem with Bridge. I even have a cs2 version (wihch has something like 15 years) on my computer which is working perfectly in term of color management.
Pages: [1]   Go Up