Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall locations in Austria, preferably close to Vienna  (Read 1654 times)

Aram Hăvărneanu

Fall locations in Austria, preferably close to Vienna
« on: October 11, 2019, 06:22:44 am »

Can anyone suggest some areas to photograph, ideally near Vienna, Austria? Unfortunately I don't have access to a car, so it would have to be something reachable by train and/or hiking (but I can hike to remote locations, and I enjoy it, so please, suggest those!).

I tried searching flickr, but I could't find anything good (did they make GPS search worse?).

Surely there must be someone from Austria here on this forum who can lend some tips.

Many thanks!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Fall locations in Austria, preferably close to Vienna
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 05:04:15 am »

Depends what you want to photograph - landscape, streets, city parks, Schönbrunn Palace, small villages.
Vienna Woods is a large nature park with many trails and and the Kahlenberg mountain with a look-out. At the edge of the park is a small and picturesque spa town Baden bei Wien, accessible by a 40 min. bus ride from Vienna.

If you run out of sights in Vienna, you can take an inexpensive bus to downtown Bratislava in neighbouring Slovakia (8 Euro, 1hr,25min) which offers plenty of photo opportunities (old and new architecture, two castles, Danube riverside, ...) and you can be back in Vienna in the evening.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:33:08 am »

Ah, sorry, I should have been more specific. I am mostly interested in landscapes. I have already been to the Vienna Woods and Kahlenberg. Very nice places, but I am looking for something a little further away (but still not too far away, have to be accessible by train in a reasonable time and/or by hiking). I have been thinking of perhaps the Wachau valley?

The area around Hallstatt also seems nice, though it's pretty far away so I'd need to sleep there.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 04:13:29 am »

Ok, so I've been to Wachau valley. Very nice place, but photographically it doesn't work for me. It's all vineyards, which are very pretty in the fall, but they are all private property so I can't just storm in there looking for compositions. Perhaps if you know the area well you know what can you photograph without having to go into the vineyards, but since it was the first time for me there, I didn't know and came back empty handed.

At least I got to try my didymium filter in the fall. Holy crap, it really works!
Pages: [1]   Go Up