Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: big hole in the ice  (Read 953 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
big hole in the ice
« on: October 10, 2019, 02:12:18 pm »

Thoughts?

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: big hole in the ice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »

That is a winner!
Don't change a thing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 03:56:41 am »

I agree with Eric, don't touch it. I like the lighter blue around the hole and all the different shades/colors variations.
It's a beauty.
Francois

stamper

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 04:27:15 am »

Spectacular, fine as it is.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »

I find no faults in processing either.
Did you get a focused shot of the background too? I usually try and then combine the 2 shots and although most of times it's better with the blurred background, occasionally it's worth it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 09:22:15 pm »

Singing the blues. Nice shot Jeremy.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 03:07:27 am »

Thanks, all. Armand, I often combine two shots with different focus but it's tricky when you're shooting from a moving Zodiac! I have fed it through Topaz Sharpen AI and the result, while suffering from horrific artefacts in the areas which were already in focus and on the snow, is really rather good. It was almost worth the 15 minutes (15 minutes!) it took to run on my iMac Pro.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 10:50:13 am »

Jeremy  What does Topaz Sharpen AI give you that let's say Lightroom can't?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 02:34:49 pm »

Jeremy  What does Topaz Sharpen AI give you that let's say Lightroom can't?

I don't know whether it's called deconvolution, but here are before and after 100% screenshots (there are some slight post-sharpening adjustments which differ as well).

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 02:37:31 pm »

Do you know if it does a better job with film scans?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 02:57:26 pm »

Do you know if it does a better job with film scans?

Better than that? I'd be seriously impressed.

I don't know. There has been a thread or two about it somewhere on the site. As far as I'm concerned, its glacial speed on Macs rules it out. Even updating previews takes nearly a minute, and quarter of an hour to process the final image, on a 2018 iMac Pro, is quite ludicrous.

Jeremy

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 03:15:07 pm »

My medium format scans run about 200mb.  At my age,  I can't afford to wait that long.  😏

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 05:43:38 pm »

Cool shot, no pun intended.  8)
-MattB

John R

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 10:13:22 pm »

Thanks, all. Armand, I often combine two shots with different focus but it's tricky when you're shooting from a moving Zodiac! I have fed it through Topaz Sharpen AI and the result, while suffering from horrific artefacts in the areas which were already in focus and on the snow, is really rather good. It was almost worth the 15 minutes (15 minutes!) it took to run on my iMac Pro.

Jeremy
Ctein thinks Topaz Sharpen is very good indeed. Here is his review.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2019/09/topaz-labs-sharpen-ai-artificial-common-sense.html

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 03:07:03 am »

Ctein thinks Topaz Sharpen is very good indeed. Here is his review.

As I wrote, John, I thought it did a very good job on the slightly blurred area through the hole, and I've blended that part of it into what is now the final image. My gripes with it were the damage it did to the areas that were already sharp (and the very curious artefacts it introduced into the snow) and the fact that life is just too short to use it. Even a ten-fold increase in speed would leave it unusable. I suppose I'll just have to keep adding to my "buy a mainframe" fund.

Jeremy

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 04:53:26 am »

very beautiful image- i like the rabbit even better...

About sharpen AI-
+1 it does a good job at some parts... but introduces weird patterns in some other...
Handle with care
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 11:24:18 am »

Is Topaz Sharpen a case where the cure is worse than the disease?

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 11:55:58 am »

As I wrote, John, I thought it did a very good job on the slightly blurred area through the hole, and I've blended that part of it into what is now the final image. My gripes with it were the damage it did to the areas that were already sharp (and the very curious artefacts it introduced into the snow) and the fact that life is just too short to use it. Even a ten-fold increase in speed would leave it unusable. I suppose I'll just have to keep adding to my "buy a mainframe" fund.

Jeremy

I use the Nik suite and for sharpening, the detail extractor is great. I'm not a Topaz user but can you not apply the sharpening to only a part of the image? Or could you create a layer mask, sharpen that globally, and then only show the parts of it you want to sharpen?
Nik has control points which are handy but if that doesn't give me enough granularity I do it with a layer in Photoshop (or Affinity) and brush in just the parts I need to be sharpened. A little can go a long way too.
-MattB

armand

• Photos
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »

You guys made me curious so I downloaded a trial version of the Topaz Sharpen AI (I do have an older version of their filters although I rarely use them, I still prefer Nik if I'm going to use filters).

On that linked article Ctein said the stabilize method is best; from my brief attempts I disagree. I tried it on 5 photos, was better only on the first (by far though).
On the rest it gives too much artifacts and the processing takes roughly 4 times longer than just sharpen.

Times processing:
- depends on the size and on the levels of detail
- in the first linked photo, a Nikon D90 @ 12MP (and others similar) it took up to 50 sec, sometimes less. Previews would take ~ 20 sec. This is the only one with the stabilize method.
- in the second, a Z7 @ 46MP, it took roughly 20 sec for preview and 50 for processing
- in the third, a Z7, took roughly 1min 30 sec processing for sharpen method, but over 6min for stabilize method. Previews for sharpen were in the 20-30sec range.
- in the fourth, also a Z7, took about 1min 20sec for processing with sharpen method but about 6min for stabilize method.

I also tried a couple of other shots.
None of Z7 photos in the compare have extra sharpening, but when I tried with one it didn't look much better. These are 100% previews.

In conclusion, it is slow but not as slow as you guys got so there must be a problem on your side. Are your files already processed and very large when you feed them? Larger than a Z7? Is it mostly on the Mac side?
My computer is older and lesser than what you have, shouldn't be faster.
Overall it seems to produce pretty good results, first was quite much better. I will try to compare it with another program, such as Nik Dfine if I have the time.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 02:50:34 pm »

I use the Nik suite and for sharpening, the detail extractor is great. I'm not a Topaz user but can you not apply the sharpening to only a part of the image? Or could you create a layer mask, sharpen that globally, and then only show the parts of it you want to sharpen?

I don't think there's a way to tell it to sharpen only part of the image, Matt. I did pretty much as you suggest: sharpen, load the original and the sharpened version as layers in PS and use a layer mask. It wasn't difficult.

I should have looked at Nik sharpener. It just struck me that this might be one for Topaz, and despite the ludicrous time it took, I'm happy with the result.

Jeremy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up