Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what do you guys think about an Uber-Z?  (Read 1051 times)

John Camp

So what do you guys think about an Uber-Z?
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:37:33 pm »

I have a Z6, which I like a little better than I thought I would. I've started investing in glass, though I've got quite a bit of F glass and the adapter. So far, I have the 24-70 and 85, and have the 50 and 35 or order, supposedly to be delivered Friday.

Now I'm thinking...Z7? I've seen representations of a more advanced Nikon Z-mount camera, believed to be either a 61mp Z8 or a Z9, which would be a mirrorless version of the pro-sports oriented D6. Both would apparently be quite a bit chunkier than the current Zs, which would be a major downside for me. I'm not sure 61mp would be much improvement over 47mp, so there's that. What to do? Order a Z7 now or wait? And how long would the wait probably be? Isn't there a major Japanese camera show in January? With the Olympics coming, wouldn't that be a point where new cameras would be revealed?

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: So what do you guys think about an Uber-Z?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:01:44 pm »

I would wait for a successor... since you have the Z6... a successor would be better on more fronts than only the extra MP's... (for instance a better EVF- lot of development in that area)
The Z7 is only better because of the extra pixels... on other qualities the Z6 is better...- video- AF in dark spaces etc...
I would expect one before summer 2020- but that is just a guess.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:57:52 pm »

having used two 100mp cameras for a few years now, I see a move from 46mp to 61mp as mostly irrelevant. You may see a tiny difference in some scenes captured with the best lenses at f4. If resolution is needed then stitching is the solution.

If I were to buy a Z8 I would hope to get 2 memory slots, a further improved AF performance and AF UI and optionally the EVF of the GFX100. I would also prefer its size to remain as compact as possible but with an optional pro-spec vertical release grip.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:03:32 am by BernardLanguillier »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 01:44:41 am »

I think an uber Z must happen. I suppose it could follow the spirit of the Sony A7R4, and I don’t mean in a copying sense, more in the sense of a super high res. If I was a Nikon user I would be more hoping for a mirrorless  version of a D6/5. Thing with that is Nikon needs lenses. I mean dedicated Z lenses. I can’t see a sport mirrorless body being successful with adapted glass and all the native mount lenses being under 100mm.

Quite frankly I cannot see a Z sport camera being announced anytime soon. Lens roll out and road map indicates that it might be years until there is a lens range available for such a body.

Please note I am frequently wrong about such matters. I’m just a photographer.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 02:58:06 am »

I can't see into the future but I imagine my Z7 bodies will meet my needs for many years to come.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 04:41:13 am »

I think an uber Z must happen. I suppose it could follow the spirit of the Sony A7R4, and I don’t mean in a copying sense, more in the sense of a super high res. If I was a Nikon user I would be more hoping for a mirrorless  version of a D6/5. Thing with that is Nikon needs lenses. I mean dedicated Z lenses. I can’t see a sport mirrorless body being successful with adapted glass and all the native mount lenses being under 100mm.

Quite frankly I cannot see a Z sport camera being announced anytime soon. Lens roll out and road map indicates that it might be years until there is a lens range available for such a body.

The thing is that the Z focuses very well with the existing super tele lenses through the FTZ adapter, at least not any worse than with native Z lenses.

This is a guess also, but I am pretty sure that the recently announced 120-300mm f2.8 will close any possible gap between its focusing abilities on F mount bodies and Z mount bodies.

I don't think we will ever see, nor need to see, dedicated Z super tele lenses. All the upcoming replacement will be like the 120-300mm f2.8, natively compatible with both F and Z mounts.

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 05:35:15 am »

The thing is that the Z focuses very well with the existing super tele lenses through the FTZ adapter, at least not any worse than with native Z lenses.

This is a guess also, but I am pretty sure that the recently announced 120-300mm f2.8 will close any possible gap between its focusing abilities on F mount bodies and Z mount bodies.

I don't think we will ever see, nor need to see, dedicated Z super tele lenses. All the upcoming replacement will be like the 120-300mm f2.8, natively compatible with both F and Z mounts.

Cheers,
Bernard

If that is all true then why bother developing the new Z mount and how do you explain all the hype around the new mount if a lens developed for the old mount running an adapter is as good as anything that could be made for the Z mount?  Is the Z mount then only superior for shorter lenses? Seems a waste of effort and marketing to me

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 06:57:59 am »

If that is all true then why bother developing the new Z mount and how do you explain all the hype around the new mount if a lens developed for the old mount running an adapter is as good as anything that could be made for the Z mount?  Is the Z mount then only superior for shorter lenses? Seems a waste of effort and marketing to me

Yes, for long lenses it doesn't make any difference.

Look at the Sony 400mm f2.8 vs the latest Canon. they are copy cats of each others.

Cheers,
Bernard

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 12:21:50 pm »

Yes, for long lenses it doesn't make any difference.
Cheers,
Bernard

A friend has the 500mm PF lens on his Z7.  Astounding images result.  He loves it.  His D850 is on the block.

faberryman

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 12:53:33 pm »

Before Nikon can offer an uber-z, Sony will have to agree to sell Nikon its 61MP chip. For competition reasons, that might be a while.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 01:03:29 pm »

Before Nikon can offer an uber-z, Sony will have to agree to sell Nikon its 61MP chip. For competition reasons, that might be a while.

But Nikon could make a sport camera. I should think Sony would sell them the A9 sensor. It’s been around for a few years now. Nikon could do a good job on that I’m sure.

John Camp

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 01:44:47 pm »

I read somewhere -- I don't remember where -- that Nikon already had a deal for that sensor. There are a number of on-line business stories that suggest the sensor business is run almost independently of the overall Sony conglomerate (in fact, one major Sony investor believes it should be spun off and run as a separate company.) The point being that the sensor company is not exactly joined at the hip with the camera company - in fact, most of the sensor company's attention goes to cell phones, and not conventional cameras.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 08:23:34 pm »

It seems certain that Nikon has a full fledged FF mirrorless strategy that will include both a sports body and a higher res one.

The only question is when.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up