Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon pro-1000 new firmware 3.01 and tools  (Read 5710 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Canon pro-1000 new firmware 3.01 and tools
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 09:08:49 am »

I received a PM from another LuLa member about the new Firmware update as he could not see the extended paper length in the print settings.  I just checked and I cannot see this either, it still says 25 inches in the custom settings box.  I also do not see a media setting for Baryta either.  I checked on the printer for the firmware version and it says 3.01.  I'm wondering if there is a print driver that did not install.  I downloaded the firmware file:  fuu_-win-pro_1000-2_5-ea7.exe   

I see a new 'optional' print driver on the support site:  imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 series XPS Printer Driver Ver.6.60 (Windows)

Does this also need to be installed????

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 09:22:00 am »

I received a PM from another LuLa member about the new Firmware update as he could not see the extended paper length in the print settings.  I just checked and I cannot see this either, it still says 25 inches in the custom settings box.  I also do not see a media setting for Baryta either.  I checked on the printer for the firmware version and it says 3.01.  I'm wondering if there is a print driver that did not install.  I downloaded the firmware file:  fuu_-win-pro_1000-2_5-ea7.exe   

I see a new 'optional' print driver on the support site:  imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 series XPS Printer Driver Ver.6.60 (Windows)

Does this also need to be installed????

Try to uninstall the previous driver and install the latest which is version 1.10 released on 10/1/19.
In my case that installed the latest media types. But I had access in the extended print length even with the previous driver.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 09:38:41 am »

Try to uninstall the previous driver and install the latest which is version 1.10 released on 10/1/19.
In my case that installed the latest media types. But I had access in the extended print length even with the previous driver.

Thanks.  It installed fine using the remove old driver option in the dialogue box.  Both the new paper length and the Baryta setting now show up.  Canon don't make things as easy as Epson did with my old 3880.

Alan

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 10:23:44 am »

That said, B&W mode should provide somewhat longer print life but these days that's not much of an issue either with color pigment printing typically having decent life.
Print life is likely to be longer than display life.  I have several offices with print installations and am under no illusion that these will still be on display in the next 10 or so years.

Doug Gray

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 12:58:41 pm »

Print life is likely to be longer than display life.  I have several offices with print installations and am under no illusion that these will still be on display in the next 10 or so years.

Agreed, and I think it is trend as well. The value of long lived prints was much more important before the digital age as it is quite easy to create originals with the same colors as the original. And there is also the trend towards images that will only be shown on devices.

I don't think it will be long, under a decade, before we have very thin display only devices that can be hung like prints with images than can be changed at whim with phone apps.

MHMG

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 06:23:20 pm »

... The value of long lived prints was much more important before the digital age as it is quite easy to create originals with the same colors as the original. And there is also the trend towards images that will only be shown on devices.

Newer copies may indeed match a vintage print for color and tone, even correct for some perceived deficiencies in the original print, but they will still be derivative copies, not the vintage print.  Art collectors, curators, historians, archivists, etc., understand the difference even if the general public doesn't give a damn.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:26:55 pm by MHMG »

Doug Gray

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »

Newer copies may indeed match a vintage print for color and tone, even correct for some perceived deficiencies in the original print, but they will still be derivative copies, not the vintage print.  Art collectors, curators, historians, archivists, etc., understand the difference even if the general public doesn't give a damn.
And they will be around a lot longer than CDs or DVDs. Newer tech tends to have shorter lifetimes than older tech but the trend is there for everyone even if at different rates.

Such is life. I miss a lot of older stuff but people much younger than me just shrug.

Young people today will see accelerated change and it will impact them even more. They just don't know it.  Yet.

henrikolsen

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 10:14:48 am »

There is distinctly less gloss differential in the few areas it previously showed using Finestra Fine Art Natural 300gsm Bartya with the new Baryta setting. I haven't yet checked impact on gamut size. Waiting for it to dry.

There is a significant shift in colors between the Plat Pro setting and Baryta setting at "highest" with average dE76 diff of 4.  Gamut is almost identical except for low L* violets where the Baryta shows a bit more saturation. Virtually identical gamut edges otherwise. Same Black point at 2.5.  So you will need to profile the papers.

I notice that the Paper Thickness (head height) for the new paper is set to Medium-high in Media Configuration Tool, where Pro Platinum is set to Low. I haven't played with it yet (this specific paper type), but have on other tests noticed that a low head height expectedly produced sharper prints, as the ink droplets don't get dragged as long along the paper before settling in.

Is CO behaviour the same on the Baryta paper as with Pro Platinum (applied from low to highs)? Does it work in auto CO from low to highs when used as base for custom media types (in case I need that for low head height and other tweaks)? I've had issues before with custom media types, that CO wouldn't get applied from lows to highs (as with Pro Platinum) when making PBK custom media with Light or Heavy weight base choices. Hope Baryta option fixes that.

I'll report my own findings once I get there.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 03:33:40 pm »

I notice that the Paper Thickness (head height) for the new paper is set to Medium-high in Media Configuration Tool, where Pro Platinum is set to Low. I haven't played with it yet (this specific paper type), but have on other tests noticed that a low head height expectedly produced sharper prints, as the ink droplets don't get dragged as long along the paper before settling in.

Is CO behaviour the same on the Baryta paper as with Pro Platinum (applied from low to highs)? Does it work in auto CO from low to highs when used as base for custom media types (in case I need that for low head height and other tweaks)? I've had issues before with custom media types, that CO wouldn't get applied from lows to highs (as with Pro Platinum) when making PBK custom media with Light or Heavy weight base choices. Hope Baryta option fixes that.

I'll report my own findings once I get there.
Good information.  My go to baryta paper, Moab Juniper Baryta, is on back order right now and I won't be able to test the new setting until I get a box and can re-profile.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 09:09:28 am »

Anybody know if a similar Baryta mode is coming to the larger format models? I downloaded newly-released versions of the Media Configuration Tool and updated the Media Information File but didn't see anything about Baryta papers. I suspect those updates are just to support the new hardware revisions and the latest Mac OS.

henrikolsen

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2019, 04:28:24 pm »

A few observations on the Baryta paper type.

Difference between Pro Platinum and Baryta is rather significant, as reported earlier. On a 512 patch test, I get this:

de2k
Verify results:
  Total errors (CIEDE2000):     peak = 9.217798, avg = 3.392068
  Worst 10% errors (CIEDE2000): peak = 9.217798, avg = 6.850318
  Best  90% errors (CIEDE2000): peak = 6.040733, avg = 3.009485
  avg err X  0.021547, Y  0.024246, Z  0.021860
  avg err L* 3.403466, a* 1.757760, b* 2.043125
de76
Verify results:
  Total errors:     peak = 12.742354, avg = 4.896999
  Worst 10% errors: peak = 12.742354, avg = 9.243197
  Best  90% errors: peak = 7.915209, avg = 4.416183
  avg err X  0.021547, Y  0.024246, Z  0.021860
  avg err L* 3.403466, a* 1.757760, b* 2.043125

Matching the around 4 dE average reported. I can add that Baryta generally prints darker throughout the gamut. So yes, reprofiling needed.

As a base for custom media type, I can confirm that quality Highest now maps to quality 2 (as seen by Accounting Manager). Previously with other PBK based media, Highest mapped to 3, and 2 only achieved by choosing custom quality and dragging slider to the end. Seems like a bugfix.

Running a Baryta based custom media type on low head height, I got what looks like some kind of rubbing across the print (mild head strike likely) over some millimeters around 2 cm before paper end (A4). Platinum Pro defaults to low head height. I might need to increase to Standard head height, and/or level the paper so it doesn't dip down close to being done printing (I tried but seemed still an issue).

Sepia toned prints still have a lot of gloss diff / bronzing. Can look very yellow at odd angles. And yes, to me odd angles matter, when handling/passing prints around on a table, when people approach an image from the side (framed on wall) etc. Even if viewer is aware of optimal viewing angle, you cannot control an unattractive odd angle view while viewer/paper is "in transit".

Ink usage seem to be higher on Baryta.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 11:43:12 am »

Anybody know if a similar Baryta mode is coming to the larger format models? I downloaded newly-released versions of the Media Configuration Tool and updated the Media Information File but didn't see anything about Baryta papers. I suspect those updates are just to support the new hardware revisions and the latest Mac OS.

The Baryta media type is present in the PRO-4100 driver. So I expect it to be available soon for the PRO-4000 also.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 01:07:00 pm »

The Baryta media type is present in the PRO-4100 driver. So I expect it to be available soon for the PRO-4000 also.

Would it be possible for you to export the media type for it and attach it to this thread? I've upgraded to the 10/23/19 driver release and updated my media information and am not seeing it. Thanks, Ryan

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 03:34:15 pm »

Would it be possible for you to export the media type for it and attach it to this thread? I've upgraded to the 10/23/19 driver release and updated my media information and am not seeing it. Thanks, Ryan

Unfortunately I don't have a 4100, I just downloaded and installed the driver to check the differences to the 4000's driver. I noticed then that there is a Baryta media type present. Since the head and inks are the same maybe we will see it in the 4000 sometime in the future. But maybe a firmware update is needed also.

EDIT: As a second thought I believe that is impossible to import an amx1 media setting file to a different printer model.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 03:54:22 pm by Panagiotis »

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 03:46:15 pm »

Unfortunately I don't have a 4100, I just downloaded and installed the driver to check the differences to the 4000's driver. I noticed then that there is a Baryta media type present. Since the head and inks are the same maybe we will see it in the 4000 sometime in the future. But maybe a firmware update is needed also.
In the case of the Pro-1000 you had to install both the firmware and the new driver to get the Baryta setting.  Firmware alone doesn't do it as I found out.

Rusty123

• Rusty Nelson Photography
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2019, 05:28:16 pm »

I just went through the Firmware, MCTool and Driver install after checking with Cannon and made a video of it as I keep getting questions from folks about it on my Youtube channel even though I put most of it on the initial setup of the Pro 1000 video. I can see where this would be a little confusing for some people regarding updates and checking the media types especially if they are not printing regularly.  I did not have any problems.  I'm on a PC and an ethernet connection. May help some people.

https://youtu.be/ShhdAcvP7FE

all the best,
Rusty
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up