Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More waterfalls from Scotland  (Read 215 times)

KMRennie

More waterfalls from Scotland
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:59:51 am »

Bracklinn falls in central Scotland. I spent a few days camping in Central Scotland looking for unphotographed waterfalls but sunshine and blue skies spoiled my shots. These shots were taken at a well known and photographed beauty spot in low light after the sun had set, for the last image I had to crank the ISO up to 500 to get the shutter speed up to 1.3s with only a polariser fitted. I am getting more interested in the patterns produced in the splash pools rather than the falling water so prefer the last image. All images taken with Nikon 70-200 f4 lens and this has been my favourite lens for landscapes for the last year, so much so that I will have to leave it at home to force myself to practice with wider lenses as I seem to be unable to "see" grand landscapes and need the practice. Ken

stamper

Re: More waterfalls from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 10:04:39 am »

Very nice! You have three outstanding images.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:06:56 am »

...All images taken with Nikon 70-200 f4 lens and this has been my favourite lens for landscapes for the last year, so much so that I will have to leave it at home to force myself to practice with wider lenses as I seem to be unable to "see" grand landscapes and need the practice. Ken

Keep using that long lens! I especially like #3.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:51:06 am »

All images taken with Nikon 70-200 f4 lens and this has been my favourite lens for landscapes for the last year

Mine, too.   And maddogmurph's.  A superb tool.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 12:52:24 pm »

... camping in Central Scotland ... but sunshine and blue skies spoiled my shots.

Not a frequent problem in that part of the world! Good work: I like the third best.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 02:09:04 pm »

Yes, the third one is outstanding.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 05:46:19 am »

Very nice set, the third is very powerful and dynamic.
Francois

guido

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 06:44:57 am »

Lovely set Ken!

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 09:04:58 am »

Nice to see these Ken. I think your interest as you say in
patterns produced in the splash pools rather than the falling water
and your choice of shutter speed in particular to get that is really brilliant. One of the reasons that second image was so powerful in your earlier trio of waterfall images - the "thin vertical strands" of the fall... then the energetic/graphic splaying of pattern below it. Kudos.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:10:50 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 11:42:16 am »

A lovely set of images Ken, especially the third one.

Yes I too have trimmed down my use of lenses these days and seem to only ever take out my 70/200 and 16/35 2.8's. Which means I now only seem to see images in either ultra wide or telephoto shots these days.

If you want to go to a really nice waterfall in Scotland that absolutely no one else seems to know about, then the next time you are up near to Eilean Donan Castle area, then go up the back road behind the castle on the Carr Brae road and then on towards Keppoch and a little further on, then park here and go through this gate (if it stll works). You will then walk along beside the An Leth-allt River on your right and then over an old wooden bridge (that had partially collapsed the last time I investigated here about six years ago, but it was still passable back then) and then up to quite a large wide but totally hidden away waterfall - best time to go would be after a good deluge of course, but still very nice at most other times as well. But Shhh, don't tell anybody else about it, or we might have to share it  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:48:36 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: [1]   Go Up