Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison of Upsizing Programs  (Read 683 times)

JaapD

Re: Comparison of Upsizing Programs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:38:59 am »

For me personally I still canít accept the artifacts that Gigapixel AI provides, very unnatural. I am positive that Topaz will get there in the end and since the money has been spent Iíll be patient  ;)

In the mean time I need to settle for second best. For small upscale factors Iíll use PS and C1 but for larger upscales Iím leaning towards Photozoom Pro8.

Same is applicable w.r.t. Denoise AI and Sharpen AI. NeatImage and FocusMagic give me less unwanted artifacts and a more natural, Ďrealí image.
So far my investment in the Topaz AI bundle hasnít been successful. Nevertheless I find the technology behind it promising for the (near) future.

Regards,
Jaap.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:45:35 pm »

For me personally I still canít accept the artifacts that Gigapixel AI provides, very unnatural. I am positive that Topaz will get there in the end and since the money has been spent Iíll be patient  ;)

Hi Jaap,

I'm not sure what kind of artifacts you are talking about, but I have noticed some differences in results between CPU processed results and GPU processed ones. The CPU processing, has recently been sped up a lot for Intel CPUs, by the use of the optional Intel OpenVINO. Check out the Advanced Preference settings. Even my older generation Intel CPU processes images more than 2x faster (or less slowly ;)).

In the mean time I need to settle for second best. For small upscale factors Iíll use PS and C1 but for larger upscales Iím leaning towards Photozoom Pro8.

Like Jim Kasson, overall I prefer the Gigapixel results. Do take into account the actual size the image detail will have in the output. It will look much better than when pixel peeping the zoomed-in pixels at close proximity on one's monitor display.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JaapD

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 06:57:02 am »

Hi Bart,

Most of the artifacts I see are around high contrast areas, i.e. tree branches and leaves against a bright sky, resulting in various kinds of artifacts. Also around edges of buildings and lamp posts, resulting in a kind of ghostly images many pixels away from the original edges. To me this is so unnatural that it is not usable.

For completeness I need to mention that Iím taking special care not to oversharpen my images.

I only apply GPU processing with my Geforce 1070Ti card. I have zero speed issues.

I fully agree with you that on Jimís images Gigapixel AI is preferable over the rest.

Regards,
Jaap.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:11:40 am »

Hi Bart,

Most of the artifacts I see are around high contrast areas, i.e. tree branches and leaves against a bright sky, resulting in various kinds of artifacts. Also around edges of buildings and lamp posts, resulting in a kind of ghostly images many pixels away from the original edges. To me this is so unnatural that it is not usable.

I understand.

Try no sharpening. I'm a Capture One user, so that still produces high resolution conversions (potentially with added 'structure'), and it reduces the risk of sharpening noise. Upscale that with Gigapixel (which still adds resolution and offers to increase sharpness), and optionally sharpen that result. When the source image has low noise, the noise reduction in Gigapixel can be set to very low levels, which brings out more detail and structure where it's supposed to be.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

earlybird

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 12:23:05 pm »

Here are some GPU vs CPU results with Win 7 x64 i7 4700MQ with Nvidia GeForce GT 740M and/or Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 running on an old Toshiba laptop.

Gigapixel seems to "see" the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 in its Graphics Info dialog.

Gigapixels GPU processing creates artifacts as exemplified in the attached images. The images were upsized in Gigapixel approximately 2.83x. The crops shown here are 200% pixel peeps. You wouldn't see the artifacts in a 300dpi print, but they are still disconcerting.

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • MfA lab.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 05:15:58 am »

In my test between 6 software: Adobe Photoshop (CC 2018), BenVista PhotoZoom Pro 7, ON1 Resize 2018, Topaz Gigapixel AI, Alien Skin Software Blow Up 3, Qimage Ultimate 2019.119, Gigapixel AI absolutely gets best performance.

I tested 22 interpolation methods and 3 upscale ratios on 4 images, that's 264 images. full test article here: part 1 | part 2

Conversely, for downsize application, bicubic is good enough.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:23:24 am by MfAlab »
Kang-Wei Hsu
inkjet printing research & color management
https://mfalab.pixnet.net/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up