Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Main workspace instead looks much worse than the Smart object does  (Read 515 times)

PDeXplore

Main workspace instead looks much worse than the Smart object does
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:02:38 am »

Can't figure out what's going on here. Working with a black and white image opened as a smart object in Photoshop. Upon import it looks ok so far as i can tell. I then opened the smart object (so Adobe camera raw i believe) and made some edits like darkening the exposure. Image still looks good. Now i save my changes and ACR closes. Now the image in my workspace looks different from what i was seeing in the ACR editor. The most obvious is a slightly blue color cast around some of the shadow regions. If i keep going back and forth between the two, it's obvious the image in my main workspace isn't rendering properly.

I've never noticed this before, but I've also never worked in Black and white. Any thoughts as to what might be going on? Is it a setting that I'm missing?

Peano

• Radiant Pics
Re: Main workspace instead looks much worse than the Smart object does
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:30:46 pm »

Did you make the B&W conversion in ACR before opening it in Photoshop as a smart object? Inside Photoshop, what happens if you click Image>Mode>Grayscale? Does the blue cast disappear? Or, instead of converting to grayscale, what happens if you open a B&W adjustment layer above the smart object?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:35:12 pm by Peano »

PDeXplore

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:12:20 pm »

Sorry i meant to clarify that this is originally coming from Lightroom and yes was set to Black and White. The smart object, in ACR, also shows as black and white mode.

I tried converting to greyscale and that did indeed fix the issue. Is that what I'm supposed to be doing when working in b&w? What the heck is Photoshop doing that it's adding color to an image where there aren't even any adjustments or layers yet made?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:56:41 pm »

The only way it could is if somehow some adjustments were made in the Split Toning tab (within ACR or LR).  No reason for that to happen if you didn't adjust them, but maybe check anyway.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 07:11:09 pm by mcbroomf »

PDeXplore

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 06:53:20 pm »

That could be the case, i was messing around with the split toning! Why would that happen though, even still? Why wouldn't it match what in seeing in Lightroom or ACR?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:25:58 pm »

What colour space is the file in, in PS (when you had the file in B&W mode, but before you converted to greyspace)

PDeXplore

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 09:24:27 am »

Adobe rgb i believe

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 02:42:07 pm »

That could be the case, i was messing around with the split toning! Why would that happen though, even still? Why wouldn't it match what in seeing in Lightroom or ACR?
As i believe split toning is really for printing purposes and is not correctly shown on a monitor, because it all depends on the printing technique and how it is caried out.
It is for printing two colours after each other. Most used are black + one colour.
It was much used in the netherlands when full colour was much ore expensive becuase it needed 4 colours (CMYK)
For CMYK you can make profiles that are shown on your monitor but also that system is a rough estimate and depends on the printing press.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up