Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136556 times)

Rob C

Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #3880 on: February 05, 2020, 05:12:13 pm »

"Senate acquits Trump on abuse of power, obstruction of Congress charges"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-acquits-president-trump-impeachment-vote

Please don't cry! There is plenty of time for a few more coup attempts until November  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Time for tears passed a while back. What you have now is the official confirmation of no more moral high ground. What y'all just did was blow it. And it ain't coming back.

Does not a one of you see what has just been approved to great cheering, the national self-harm that's been achieved?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3881 on: February 05, 2020, 05:18:45 pm »

Time for tears passed a while back. What you have now is the official confirmation of no more moral high ground. What y'all just did was blow it. And it ain't coming back.

Does not a one of you see what has just been approved to great cheering, the national self-harm that's been achieved?

Indeed, self-destruction at its worth.

The officialization that cheating and breaking the law is fine as long as you have the right friends.

Such a great teaching for the kids of America.

Cheers,
Bernard

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3882 on: February 05, 2020, 05:58:36 pm »

The officialization that cheating and breaking the law is fine as long as you have the right friends.

Nihil novi sub sole

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3883 on: February 05, 2020, 06:04:53 pm »

Nihil novi sub sole

Yes, but this is reaching new heights.

The degree matters.

Cheers,
Bernard

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3884 on: February 05, 2020, 06:26:44 pm »

After Trump was elected, but before he took office, I was commiserating with a friend. I expressed my belief that there were enough honorable and honest Republican Senators, Representatives, etc. to keep Trump in check. Boy was I ever wrong. They have almost all turned into a bunch of sniveling toadies who don't give squat about this country. But bravo to Romney.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3885 on: February 05, 2020, 06:49:17 pm »

Nihil novi sub sole

Yes, but this is reaching new heights.

Except maybe with respect to Mitt Romney.  It couldn't have been easy for him.  I suspect many traditional Republicans, including many of Romney's colleagues in the Senate, have been harboring hopes that somehow Trump could be persuaded not to run for re-election, and that they could draft Romney to take his place.  The former was probably always unrealistic, and any chance of the latter has been destroyed by Romney's decision to put conscience over partisanship.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3886 on: February 05, 2020, 06:49:44 pm »

From a piece Mike Huckabee wrote,

"Democrat voters who called into the SOTU 'reaction' segment on C-SPAN certainly don’t seem to think Pelosi’s tantrum was 'the courteous thing to do.' One caller, who has been a Democrat for nearly as long as Pelosi has been alive, called her behavior 'appalling,' 'disrespectful,' and 'embarrassing,' vowing that 'I am never voting for a Democrat again.' Another caller reported that she and her entire family had voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, but could not bring themselves to vote Democrat ever again after watching Pelosi’s spectacle.  'I am no longer a Democrat,' another caller said sadly, no doubt capturing the feelings of countless Democrats and independent voters across the country."

What a bad week for Democrats.  Someone earilier this week made the analogy that the current Democratic party is looking like the White Sox in 1919, as if they are trying to loose.  After this, I kind of have to agree with him. 

And bear in mind, polling this morning found that over 80% of independents thought it was a good speech. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:53:00 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3887 on: February 05, 2020, 06:51:07 pm »

Awww... you are still crying. Here, take a tissue.

;D ;D ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3888 on: February 05, 2020, 06:54:46 pm »

Time to close this thread, too painful to watch our dear friends cry.

Time to open a new thread: “Recalling Mitt Romney.”

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3889 on: February 05, 2020, 06:55:23 pm »

"Senate acquits Trump on abuse of power, obstruction of Congress charges"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-acquits-president-trump-impeachment-vote
P.S. Now, recall Romney!

Great and historical valuable speech by Romney in that link... For me he put it all in the right perspective.
Like he stated; Boltons testimony could have made things more clear eitherway, but he was not allowed to testify by the republicans, making the defense very poor.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

texshooter

« Reply #3890 on: February 05, 2020, 06:59:59 pm »

P.S. Now, recall Romney!

I predict Romney will run in 2024.  He thinks voting to convict Trump now will win him votes from swing democrats later. It's the ol' "enemy of my enemy is my friend" move.  Yeah, right, sure, uhha.   

faberryman

« Reply #3891 on: February 05, 2020, 07:17:13 pm »

From a piece Mike Huckabee wrote...
Exactly what you would expect Mike Huckabee to say. No news there. I am sure the Rush Limbaugh fans were ecstatic too.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3892 on: February 05, 2020, 07:38:43 pm »

After Trump was elected, but before he took office, I was commiserating with a friend. I expressed my belief that there were enough honorable and honest Republican Senators, Representatives, etc. to keep Trump in check. Boy was I ever wrong. They have almost all turned into a bunch of sniveling toadies who don't give squat about this country. But bravo to Romney.

Well said!  I don't know what was more painful, looking at and listening to the clapping of his spineless apostles or to the devil himself.

The old fable comes to mind:

Many years ago there was an Emperor so exceedingly fond of new clothes that he spent all his money on being well dressed. He cared nothing about reviewing his soldiers, going to the theatre, or going for a ride in his carriage, except to show off his new clothes. He had a coat for every hour of the day, and instead of saying, as one might, about any other ruler, "The King's in council," here they always said. "The Emperor's in his dressing room."

In the great city where he lived, life was always gay. Every day many strangers came to town, and among them one day came two swindlers. They let it be known they were weavers, and they said they could weave the most magnificent fabrics imaginable. Not only were their colors and patterns uncommonly fine, but clothes made of this cloth had a wonderful way of becoming invisible to anyone who was unfit for his office, or who was unusually stupid.

So off went the Emperor in procession under his splendid canopy. Everyone in the streets and the windows said, "Oh, how fine are the Emperor's new clothes! Don't they fit him to perfection? And see his long train!" Nobody would confess that he couldn't see anything, for that would prove him either unfit for his position, or a fool. No costume the Emperor had worn before was ever such a complete success.

"But he hasn't got anything on," a little child said. "Did you ever hear such innocent prattle?" said its father. And one person whispered to another what the child had said, "He hasn't anything on. A child says he hasn't anything on." "But he hasn't got anything on!" the whole town cried out at last. The Emperor shivered, for he suspected they were right. But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all.

Full text here:
https://andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/hersholt/TheEmperorsNewClothes_e.html

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3893 on: February 05, 2020, 07:41:32 pm »

I predict Romney will run in 2024.  He thinks voting to convict Trump now will win him votes from swing democrats later. It's the ol' "enemy of my enemy is my friend" move.  Yeah, right, sure, uhha.   

Only a moron could have lost that election against Obama. And here he is.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3894 on: February 05, 2020, 07:44:34 pm »

Exactly what you would expect Mike Huckabee to say. No news there. I am sure the Rush Limbaugh fans were ecstatic too.

I believe the more important part is what the Dems who called into C-SPAN said. 

Face it, Pelosi embarrassed herself and pretty much turned her "Trump is too childish" critique right back on her. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3895 on: February 05, 2020, 08:03:56 pm »

Time to open a new thread: “Recalling Mitt Romney.”

Nothing in the U.S. Constitution authorizes states to provide for the recall of a federal senator or a member of the House of Representatives.  The two federal legislative chambers are responsible for determining whether and, pursuant to their respective rules, how their members may be removed from office prior to the expiration of their elective terms.

Of course, if the Republican majority in the Senate wanted to remove Romney, they have the ability to do it.

Edited to eliminate my earlier reference to removal by a majority: a two-thirds supermajority of a chamber is required to remove one of its members by Article I §5 of the U.S. Constitution.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:16:21 am by Chris Kern »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3896 on: February 05, 2020, 09:38:00 pm »

I thought Romney would have made a good president.  I was wrong.  He did very poorly in his campaign and wasn't tough enough.  He didn't know how to fight and defend himself against the Democrats and Obama.  He became petty after Trump insulted him like McCain.  Both of them turned against their party taking out their hostility against Trump.  I thought they would act that way after Trump played them like fools. They did. That's Trump's own fault.  On the other hand, they put their animosity against Trump ahead of their party and hurt it, which is a rather selfish thing to do.  Republican senators won;t talk about it.  But I'm sure they're pissed.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3897 on: February 06, 2020, 12:49:41 am »

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3898 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51:45 am »

Romney was the only republicans behaving ethically and with the balls to oppose the big bully.

For many people, there is only one person in the GOP worth something and that's Romney.

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3899 on: February 06, 2020, 03:24:07 am »

Nothing in the U.S. Constitution authorizes states to provide for the recall of a federal senator or a member of the House of Representatives.  The two federal legislative chambers are responsible for determining whether and, pursuant to their respective rules, how their members may be removed from office prior to the expiration of their elective terms.

Of course, if the Republican majority in the Senate wanted to remove Romney, they have the ability to do it.

Edited to eliminate my earlier reference to removal by a majority: a two-thirds supermajority of a chamber is required to remove one of its members by Article I §5 of the U.S. Constitution.

True.

However:

https://nationalfile.com/utah-conservatives-launch-recall-romney-effort-to-defend-president-trump/

http://kutv.com/news/local/utah-bill-would-allow-voters-to-remove-their-us-senators
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196   Go Up