Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136628 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #3840 on: February 04, 2020, 02:30:29 pm »

I'm a small federal government guy and would rather see most issues being handled by the states.  If the Senators were picked by the state legislature, they would be less likely to ceed any power of the state to the federal government since doing so may end up getting them removed from office. 

Allowing the people to decided the Senators weakens this significantly, hence one reason why the federal government has gotten so big. 
I'm a small federal government guy and would rather see most issues being handled by the states.  If the Senators were picked by the state legislature, they would be less likely to ceed any power of the state to the federal government since doing so may end up getting them removed from office. 

Allowing the people to decided the Senators weakens this significantly, hence one reason why the federal government has gotten so big. 

Good point.  There would be less desire to push through a lot of free Federal programs to buy votes. . So we have less taxes and less stupid programs. More freedom. Hadn't thought of that.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3841 on: February 04, 2020, 02:33:40 pm »

The thought of a person like Trump being on top of things really makes me cringe.

Might make you cringe, Bart, but your compatriots might like having your economy bloom and your unemployment drop to historic lows. You could go ahead and cringe through all of that. Those who benefited might see you cringing and laugh.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3842 on: February 04, 2020, 02:39:25 pm »

Add to that, although the results from yesterday are still any one's guess, turn out was significantly lower then expected. 

Just maybe, just maybe, those in the media and the Beltway are grossly over estimating just how much middle American dislikes the president.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:08:28 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3843 on: February 04, 2020, 03:33:51 pm »

Add to that, although the results from yesterday are still any one's guess, turn out was significantly lower then expected

Just maybe, just maybe, those in the media and the Beltway are grossly over estimating just how much middle American dislikes the president.
Also, if things are going pretty well for people, they're not too interested in politics.  They have other things to do.  Terrorism is at a real low, we're not in a major conflict with Turkey or the Kurds, the economy is good.  I don;t think we're going to hear much from Iran after the last drone strike.   CHina's got it's own problems.  NK isn;t saying much.  The EU has to deal with Brexit and trying to hold the rest of the EU together. What's America to complain about?  Trump is Trump.  Sure, the Democrats are making an issue out of him.  But they've been doing that for 3 1/2 years.  People get tired of the old same-o' same-o'.  They're going to continue to talk about him through the election.  They've got nothing else to run on. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3844 on: February 04, 2020, 08:50:40 pm »

Trump approval rating hits new high in Gallup poll, despite impeachment trial
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/trump-approval-hits-new-high-in-gallup-poll-despite-impeachment.html

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3845 on: February 04, 2020, 09:03:57 pm »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/trump-approval-hits-new-high-in-gallup-poll-despite-impeachment.html

There was a great article I read recently by Victor Davis Hanson, a historian with the Hoover Institute and professor at  one of the CA schools, who said most of Trump's policies are privately support even though they are publicly condemned. 

I have a feeling it only going to go up, and if it stays this high or gets higher, he is a shoo-in to win.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:22:45 pm by JoeKitchen »

James Clark

« Reply #3846 on: February 04, 2020, 11:54:46 pm »

I don’t even know where to put this, but first Trump refuses to shake Pelosi’s hand, then she rips up a copy of his speech.   What a bunch of a holes.  ::) ::) ::)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3847 on: February 05, 2020, 12:17:25 am »

Trump didn't shake VP's hand either.  Was it truly a swipe at Pelosi, or did he miss it with both of them?  On the other hand, I suppose he did take a swipe at the person who impeached him.  He's still under the impeachment.  I suppose he could have shot her.  On the other hand she could have shot him.  So maybe ripping up his speech was a kind thing to do. 

I actually think that her ripping up the speech will lessen the strength of his speech as that scene will be replayed over and over on TV.  So maybe it was more than antics or anger on her part; just her politicking.

Someone once said politics ain't tiddlywinks. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3848 on: February 05, 2020, 12:42:48 am »

Watched part of the Trump's speech. The weather report, showing the European floods and the local snow flurries was more interesting, and devoid from the silly clapping.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3849 on: February 05, 2020, 12:46:38 am »

The clapping is always funny with all State of the Union speeches.  Nothing new.  The president's party congressmen and senators are cheering incessantly.  And the opposition party sits there stoneface like someone made them eat porridge before the speech. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3850 on: February 05, 2020, 01:19:25 am »

Most of the speeches by Reagan, Clinton and Obama were quite uplifting, making you feel better.
Trump's State of Union 2020 speech was not only boring and annoying, but a total waste of time. His rally performances are much more entertaining.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3851 on: February 05, 2020, 01:33:01 am »

His speech was calm and not hostile.  Strong but not too much bravuro.  He put on a performance with all the extras, a master of ceremonies, a taste of what's to come. He's changing his style for the election.  Becoming statesmanlike. That's the most important part.  No one is going to remember the details.  This is not by accident.  This is all planned.  Before he was the bad cop.  Now he's the good cop saving the community, doing his job.

The opposition will continue with the "Trump is bad.   Blah. Blah. Blah." With nothing else to say at their peril.  He's stating things he did while they'll be just complaining about him, being personal, just attacking him like they have for three years.  Voters want more than that.  If all the Democrats are going to do is rip up a transcript of his speech, if that's all they have to say, if they don;t have a plan to run the country, showing more of their anger, he's a shoe-in.  People who think Trump is a clown who doesn;t know what he's doing are making a big mistake.  He didn't get where he is because he's no dope. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #3852 on: February 05, 2020, 01:55:09 am »

Pelosi's anger by ripping up the speech weakens her argument for the impeachment. It just looks like a temper tantrum in both cases. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3853 on: February 05, 2020, 04:20:08 am »

I agree. It was not a classy act. Différence entre un homme et une femme. I don't think a man would react that way, but no doubt, she'll say that he drove her to do it.
Did she do it because of the handshake snub, was it a reaction to the actual speech or did she plan it already before the event? 
Being an outsider, I wonder if the official handshake before the commencement of the speech is a standard procedure or is it something like a friendly and polite pat.

Pelosi said "It was the courteous thing to do considering the alternatives, It was such a dirty speech."
In a statement she doubled down, calling it a "manifesto of mistruths".
Personally, I didn't think that the address was an exemplary literary piece. To put it mildly, it was quite irritating self-gratulatory speech.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:07:20 am by LesPalenik »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3854 on: February 05, 2020, 04:35:07 am »

Pelosi's anger by ripping up the speech weakens her argument for the impeachment. It just looks like a temper tantrum in both cases.

It was almost as bad as Trump refusing to shake her hand.

I agree she shouldn’t have done it. It’s the first time she lowers herself to the level of Trump.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 04:44:47 am by BernardLanguillier »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3855 on: February 05, 2020, 04:45:29 am »

Alan, I am deeply hurt... you don’t read even my posts anymore!? I posted that on the previous page.... with quotes  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #3856 on: February 05, 2020, 06:04:36 am »

Alan, I am deeply hurt... you don’t read even my posts anymore!? I posted that on the previous page.... with quotes  ;)

Slobodan, give up hope all ye who enter therein.

That little bubble is so tightly sealed that not even the warmth of noon sunshine gets in to disturb the cobwebs with a delicate little ripple of motion. As for the absorption of anything an inch to either side of the catechism... the perfect, unquestioning disciple, in other words.

You'd be better off interacting with the menu of a Fuji or a Sony.

;-)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3857 on: February 05, 2020, 07:13:51 am »

Never get in a fight with a pig.  You'll both get dirty, but the pig enjoys it! 

This pretty much sums up how Trump deals with his adversaries.  Trump is Trump and him snubbing a handshake from the lady who is trying to remove him from office through impeachment, although puerile, is part of his brand.  People expect it and when he does it, it does not move anyone. 

However, Pelosi lowering herself and ripping up the speech, showing he true self, looks real bad for her.  In the last 6 or 7 months, Trump has goaded Pelosi into destroying her respectable reputation.  He has done this with everyone too. 

Add to that, this only gins up enthusiasm amongst his supporters, and, judging by the posts here, does nothing to help out Pelosi or the Dems. 

Maybe she should get on the Trump re-election pay roll. 

PS, I have to agree with my liberal friends here, Trump is no great orator, or even a mediocre orator.  For someone who can captivate giant audiences at his rallies, he gives one boring as hell speech. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:42:46 am by JoeKitchen »

RSL

« Reply #3858 on: February 05, 2020, 07:36:09 am »

It's not "despite." It's more like "with help from."

RSL

« Reply #3859 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:51 am »

It’s the first time she lowers herself to the level of Trump.
Cheers,
Bernard

;D ;D :o

Evidently Japanese TV leaves a lot out of its coverage.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 196   Go Up