Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136653 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #600 on: October 25, 2019, 05:32:32 pm »

Can be a record deficit a valid reason for impeachment?

The U.S. Treasury on Friday said that the federal deficit for fiscal 2019 was $984 billion. The gap between revenues and spending was the widest it’s been in seven years as expenditures on defense, Medicare and interest payments on the national debt ballooned the shortfall.

The government said corporate tax revenues totaled $230 billion, up 12%, thanks to a rebound in the second half of the year. Individual tax revenues rose 2% to $1.7 trillion. Receipts totaled $3.4 trillion, up 4% through September, while federal spending rose 8%, to $4.4 trillion. The U.S. government also collected nearly $71 billion in customs duties, or tariffs, a 70% increase compared to the year-ago period.

Annual deficits have nearly doubled under President Donald Trump’s tenure notwithstanding an unemployment rate at multidecade lows and better earnings figures. Deficits usually shrink during times of economic growth as higher incomes and Wall Street profits buoy Treasury coffers, while automatic spending on items like food stamps decline. Two big bipartisan spending bills, combined with the administration’s landmark tax cuts, however, have defied the typical trends and instead aggravated deficits. The Congressional Budget Office projects the trillion-dollar deficit could come as soon as fiscal 2020.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/federal-deficit-increases-26percent-to-984-billion-for-fiscal-2019.html

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #601 on: October 25, 2019, 05:43:35 pm »

I take this to mean that you would ignore a Grand Jury summons if one was presented to you and you felt that was a closed session.  I honestly don't know how you can make such statements.  Grand Juries do not try or judge people!!!!  This joint committee is not trying the President or anyone else.  that is the responsibility of the Senate (read the Constitution!).  All that is happening right now is evidence is being gathered.

Subpoena's are meant to mean something.  If we can just choose to ignore them when we see fit, the nation is no longer under the rule of law.  Eventually these claims of immunity and executive privilege will be decided by the courts and not you, the President, or any of his enablers.  I always hate to get repetitious, but there is nothing wrong with the way the House is proceeding.  they are using rules passed when the Republicans were in power and John Boehner was Speaker.  Do you think that what they did was wrong when they used the EXACT same approach to probe what happened in Benghazi.  You also cannot draw any parallels with either the Nixon or Clinton investigations because they had special counsels that did all the grunt work up front.

As I and others have pointed out, Republicans serve on this investigative committee and have the right to question witnesses.  In the end it will come down to how the public process of reviewing these statements and those of public witnesses that are called. 
This is a palace coup being run by the Democrats.  Schiff is acting like a Commisar. The government isn't like a grand jury.  The Constitution respects equal powers between the Congress and the Executive. The Executive may resist subpoenas and in this case especially when the Democrats only aim is to destroy the President to gain power for the Democrats.  To argue something else is going on is just bias on your part.    If the executive witnesses wrongfully resisting subpoenas, the Federal courts will decide who's right.  That's how it works.  Of course you disagree because you want to impeach the President come hell or high water. 

faberryman

« Reply #602 on: October 25, 2019, 05:56:24 pm »

To argue something else is going on is just bias on your part.
Or bias on your part.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:59:57 pm by faberryman »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #603 on: October 25, 2019, 06:02:44 pm »

Do non-Americans actually watch Fox?  It must be very few people.  Most of the news people get from here are bylines in your regular press.  So that press is regurgitating American liberal press from the NY TImes or Washington Post or one of the major broadcast TV stations, ABC, NBC or CBS.  I doubt if 1% watch Fox.

"Regurgitating?" Please. The NY Times is perhaps the most respected newspaper in the world, with accurate and in-depth reporting every day. The Post is not far behind. Yes, their editorial opinions are liberal, but their news reporting is accurate. When they make an error, it is reported as a "correction" very soon.

Lord, what fun to be a conservative, where anything you WANT to be true just becomes true in you mind. No thinking, no smarts, no research.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #604 on: October 25, 2019, 06:04:13 pm »

No.

The delegates to the 18th-Century U.S. consitutional convention rejected a proposal that "maladminstration"—what currently might be referred to as "incompetence" or "defective judgment"—be included as one of the grounds for impeachment.  They substituted the common law term "high crimes and misdemeanors," which might best be summarized as "abuse of power" or, in the American constitutional context, "behavior inconsistent with the defendant's oath of office."

Also, it's not clear whether President Trump ever actually understood the content of the tax law he signed at the end of 2017, which was enacted by the then Republican majorities in the House of Representatives and the Senate—reportedly without personal involvement on his part.  (Tax law is complicated; Trump doesn't seem to have much patience for dealing with complexity.)

faberryman

« Reply #605 on: October 25, 2019, 06:07:39 pm »

I doubt if 1% watch Fox.
I think I have see statements to the effect that Fox News has been the most watched cable news program for the past 17 years.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #606 on: October 25, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »

[...]
Lord, what fun to be a conservative, where anything you WANT to be true just becomes true in you mind. No thinking, no smarts, no research.

I heard the following comment in one of the many news programs, that seems to illustrate that:
"People weren't voting in their own economic interest. They were voting to try and keep the country the way they hoped it would be. They really wanted to bring us back to the 1980s or something."

The 2020 elections may be different in the sense that a large number of voters (the Millenials) will vote for the first time in their lives, so they are not necessarily so conservative. The turnout of the voters can be decisive.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #607 on: October 25, 2019, 06:24:08 pm »

Do the work Slobodan. You aren’t afraid of the truth are you?

Bernard, I said "please." The reason I asked you to provide the links is so that you and I are reading the same source.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #608 on: October 25, 2019, 06:26:16 pm »

Only "liberal" deficits are bad.
--
Robert

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #609 on: October 25, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »

Can you provide a link to those claims, please?
Main link about Republican statements on closed hearings is here (you won't like this one):  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/22/then-now-how-republicans-downplay-subpoenas-when-they-target-trump/

There are 47 Republicans on the joint committees that are taking testimony during the closed sessions.  12 of them were in the group that stormed the meeting room (I know that Congressmen Jordan and Meadows are on the joint committee but don't know the other names.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #610 on: October 25, 2019, 06:28:53 pm »

... The NY Times is perhaps the most respected newspaper in the world, with accurate and in-depth reporting every day. The Post is not far behind...

They are bat-shit crazy liberals, respected by... liberals. Otherwise, they are just a more foxy (pardon the pun) propaganda outlet.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #611 on: October 25, 2019, 06:30:18 pm »

I think I have see statements to the effect that Fox News has been the most watched cable news program for the past 17 years.

Have you noticed that Alan was referring to non-Americans (i.e., audience abroad)?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #612 on: October 25, 2019, 06:34:51 pm »

Main link about Republican statements on closed hearings is here (you won't like this one):  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/22/then-now-how-republicans-downplay-subpoenas-when-they-target-trump/

There are 47 Republicans on the joint committees that are taking testimony during the closed sessions.  12 of them were in the group that stormed the meeting room (I know that Congressmen Jordan and Meadows are on the joint committee but don't know the other names.

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't' find anything about 47/12 Republicans there? Maybe I was reading too fast?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #613 on: October 25, 2019, 07:57:59 pm »

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't' find anything about 47/12 Republicans there? Maybe I was reading too fast?
there are too many stories out there.  I couldn't remember where I saw the number but will look at a couple of other places other than the WaPo or NYT.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:22:13 pm by Alan Goldhammer »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #614 on: October 25, 2019, 08:26:43 pm »

Slobodan's right, nothing in there except more reporting that shows Democrat Schiff running it like he's an Inquisitor in a Star Chamber trial.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #615 on: October 25, 2019, 08:28:04 pm »

And here's another (similar) take on that:

Cuomo to Graham: Impeachment hasn't changed ... you have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I69ASeEv8kc

Hipocricy of republicans rules ...

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #616 on: October 25, 2019, 08:31:07 pm »

Have you noticed that Alan was referring to non-Americans (i.e., audience abroad)?

Of course, we (non-US citizens) are not stupid.

And no, I'm not going to report you to the LuLa Moderator for the insult ...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:40:46 pm by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #617 on: October 25, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »

Or bias on your part.
Moi? Never happen.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #618 on: October 25, 2019, 08:39:05 pm »

Which raises question I wanted to ask. How many people here have changed their minds about what should happen?  Only the Yes people have to post.  It'll be easier to count.  :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #619 on: October 25, 2019, 08:42:31 pm »

Which raises question I wanted to ask. How many people here have changed their minds about what should happen?  Only the Yes people have to post.  It'll be easier to count.  :)

Yes, the more information that has emerged, the stronger my initial disgust has become.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 196   Go Up