Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 136624 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #540 on: October 24, 2019, 11:59:21 am »

I only use the word 'dim' as it applies to light bulbs.  this is why I have been installing LED bulbs and light strips.  They provide nice illumination though I'm not sure they are the best for viewing photographs.
LED lights come in different Kelvins.  I use 2800 for normal home use as they have a warm rosy look.   5000 are a bright white like noontime sun and o.jare better for photos except they make everyone look like they need to go ro the beach and get a suntan.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #541 on: October 24, 2019, 12:08:06 pm »

It'll be dimmer around here. Plus who will I spar with?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #542 on: October 24, 2019, 12:12:54 pm »

Joe that's interesting.   I wasn't aware the Obama administration was doing the same thing as Trump was trying to do.   Using American aid to push them to investigate corruption in their country.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #543 on: October 24, 2019, 12:57:59 pm »

Well it seems more and more the Dems have put themselves between a rock and hard place.  They can either vote to impeach or not, both of which are a loose loose. 
they can release all the transcripts and then vote to censure the President for specific reasons.  While falling short of an Impeachment vote, it does offer another avenue after the investigation is completed.

None of us know what has been happening behind closed doors and until we do it is difficult to make any prediction.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #544 on: October 24, 2019, 01:00:32 pm »

they can release all the transcripts and then vote to censure the President for specific reasons.  While falling short of an Impeachment vote, it does offer another avenue after the investigation is completed.

None of us know what has been happening behind closed doors and until we do it is difficult to make any prediction.
True, and interesting point on the censuring of the President.  However, I am not sure if this would be politically viable since the Dems voted against censuring Schiff who did make stuff up during a congressional hearing and have repeatably lied. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #545 on: October 24, 2019, 01:03:47 pm »

LED lights come in different Kelvins.  I use 2800 for normal home use as they have a warm rosy look.   5000 are a bright white like noontime sun and o.jare better for photos except they make everyone look like they need to go ro the beach and get a suntan.
I had to replace the fluorescent fixtures in the family room where my work station is located as they were old and the ballast on both sets needed replacing.  there were several different color temps offered and I bought the daylight version (6200 I think)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #546 on: October 24, 2019, 01:07:01 pm »

I had to replace the fluorescent fixtures in the family room where my work station is located as they were old and the ballast on both sets needed replacing.  there were several different color temps offered and I bought the daylight version (6200 I think)

The real issue, regardless of color temp, is that all LEDs have a discontinuous light spectrum, just like all fluorescents.  Also, for most LEDs, they emit a lower amount of the spectrum then fluorescents.  This greatly effects color, especially in photography; LEDs are the bane of my work.  For viewing prints under, I dont know if it would matter as much. 

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #547 on: October 24, 2019, 01:10:05 pm »

The real issue, regardless of color temp, is that all LEDs have a discontinuous light spectrum, just like all fluorescents.  Also, for most LEDs, they emit a lower amount of the spectrum then fluorescents.  This greatly effects color, especially in photography; LEDs are the bane of my work.  For viewing prints under, I dont know if it would matter as much.
When I'm doing critical photo editing, I turn off the lights so that my monitor is not affected.  I have a separate Spectraview calibration for the lower light level.  Lights are much brighter than the fluorescents they replaced which was jarring when they were first installed.  I'm used to them now. 8)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #548 on: October 24, 2019, 01:37:46 pm »

It's like those secret trials the Soviets used to do. Find the people guilty then let you know the evidence they found.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #549 on: October 24, 2019, 01:53:30 pm »

It's like those secret trials the Soviets used to do. Find the people guilty then let you know the evidence they found.
I honestly don't know how you can say this.  What is happening right now is no different from the Benghazi investigation of Secretary Clinton.  Trey Gowdy argued that closed hearings were the best approach to getting reliable testimony.  He is a Republican and former prosecutor.  The Democrats have already said that this will move into a public venue with release of the transcripts.  Arguing over procedure or making over the top statements such as the above doesn't to the Republicans any good.  As with yesterday's intrusion of a secure hearing room, it makes them look petty and foolish.

John Camp

« Reply #550 on: October 24, 2019, 02:17:13 pm »

I honestly don't know how you can say this.  What is happening right now is no different from the Benghazi investigation of Secretary Clinton.  Trey Gowdy argued that closed hearings were the best approach to getting reliable testimony.  He is a Republican and former prosecutor.  The Democrats have already said that this will move into a public venue with release of the transcripts.  Arguing over procedure or making over the top statements such as the above doesn't to the Republicans any good.  As with yesterday's intrusion of a secure hearing room, it makes them look petty and foolish.

I don't think it makes all Republicans look petty and foolish, but those Tea Party guys are basically idiots and they do much damage to the Republican Party, which is a shame. We really do need a strong two party system, IMHO. I think Joe is way off base with his predictions of damage to the Democrats by the current investigation. Eventually, I think two things will damage Trump almost irrecoverably: the disaster in Syria and the extortion in the Ukraine. There was apparently nothing illegal about his decision in Syria, but the PR is so terrible that I think it turned lots of people against him, who might have otherwise stuck with him, even if holding their noses. Even the military is getting restive, as you see in comments from retired military people, including his former secretary of defense. The Ukraine deal was typical thuggish Trump strong-arming, and that could get him impeached. I still doubt that he'd be convicted in the Senate, no matter what he did.

One thing we don't know about is what's going to happen when the appeals court orders the IRS to give his eight years of tax returns to the Manhattan prosecutor. Manhattan, of course, leans Democratic (I joke) and Trump has a long and ugly history of cheating on his taxes. It's interesting that they asked for eight years of tax returns -- going back before he was President, and when he might not have been seriously thinking of running, and therefore might have felt freer to cheat. If he did that, I would expect state indictments about the most delicate time for Trump in the election process. Say, about next October, close enough to the election to to do serious damage, not far enough away for him to mount an effective defense.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #551 on: October 24, 2019, 02:28:04 pm »

In a nutshell ...

U.S. diplomat testifies Trump tied Ukraine aid to politically motivated probes
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-whistleblower/u-s-diplomat-testifies-trump-tied-ukraine-aid-to-politically-motivated-probes-idUSKBN1X10BC
The comments by William Taylor, a career diplomat and former Army officer who serves as the charge d’affaires in the U.S. embassy in Ukraine, were in a copy of his statement to lawmakers posted online by U.S. media.

Taylor’s statement to the three Democratic-led House of Representatives committees leading an impeachment inquiry against the Republican president marked a pivotal development in the political drama unfolding in Washington that threatens Trump’s presidency even as he pursues re-election.

It ran counter to Trump’s contention that there was no quid pro quo - a Latin phrase meaning a favor for a favor - related to the $391 million in security assistance approved by the U.S. Congress to help combat Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine that Trump had withheld.

“It was the most damning testimony,” Democratic Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz told Reuters.

In closed-door testimony, Taylor said he was told by Gordon Sondland, the U.S. envoy to the European Union, that Trump had linked release of the aid to public declarations by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that he would investigate Trump’s domestic political rival Joe Biden, and his son Hunter Biden, as well as a debunked conspiracy theory about the 2016 election.

Zelenskiy agreed to the request. The aid was later released
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #552 on: October 24, 2019, 02:35:38 pm »

No one cares about Benghazi and certainly no one ever heard of Trey Gowdy. What people care about is that the president of the United States is being indicted in a secret Hearing in a soundproof room being run by Democrats where Republicans aren't allowed to defend him. Of course if you read CNN or MSNBC, everything seems like it's on the up-and-up. But Independents hopefully will look at how this is being done and draw their conclusions.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #553 on: October 24, 2019, 02:46:58 pm »

In closed-door testimony, Taylor said he was told by...

So damning ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #554 on: October 24, 2019, 02:47:45 pm »

I don't think it makes all Republicans look petty and foolish, but those Tea Party guys are basically idiots and they do much damage to the Republican Party, which is a shame. We really do need a strong two party system, IMHO. I think Joe is way off base with his predictions of damage to the Democrats by the current investigation. Eventually, I think two things will damage Trump almost irrecoverably: the disaster in Syria and the extortion in the Ukraine. There was apparently nothing illegal about his decision in Syria, but the PR is so terrible that I think it turned lots of people against him, who might have otherwise stuck with him, even if holding their noses. Even the military is getting restive, as you see in comments from retired military people, including his former secretary of defense. The Ukraine deal was typical thuggish Trump strong-arming, and that could get him impeached. I still doubt that he'd be convicted in the Senate, no matter what he did.

One thing we don't know about is what's going to happen when the appeals court orders the IRS to give his eight years of tax returns to the Manhattan prosecutor. Manhattan, of course, leans Democratic (I joke) and Trump has a long and ugly history of cheating on his taxes. It's interesting that they asked for eight years of tax returns -- going back before he was President, and when he might not have been seriously thinking of running, and therefore might have felt freer to cheat. If he did that, I would expect state indictments about the most delicate time for Trump in the election process. Say, about next October, close enough to the election to to do serious damage, not far enough away for him to mount an effective defense.
Who you been listening to? MSNBC and CNN? Trump has never been charged with tax fraud. That's a very severe charge that isn't true. 

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #555 on: October 24, 2019, 02:59:41 pm »

No one cares about Benghazi and certainly no one ever heard of Trey Gowdy. What people care about is that the president of the United States is being indicted in a secret Hearing in a soundproof room being run by Democrats where Republicans aren't allowed to defend him. Of course if you read CNN or MSNBC, everything seems like it's on the up-and-up. But Independents hopefully will look at how this is being done and draw their conclusions.
As with a couple of other posters here, you are going to soon enter my 'no-read' zone.  Your statement about Congressman Gowdy is just silly given his prominence in past inquiries.  Gowdy led the House appointed committee that investigated Secretary Clinton and was also seriously considered as a lawyer to help President Trump negotiate the current impeachment difficulties.  If you so desire you can read more about Gowdy and how the President's crew botched the attempt to hire him:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/us/politics/trey-gowdy-trump-impeachment.html  The President is not being indicted in a secret hearing in a soundproof room.  The three Congressional Committees are collecting evidence the same way a Grand Jury does.  Indictment only takes place with an impeachment vote and the trial is the conducted with the Senate sitting as the jury.  this is all pretty much Civics 101. 

Your statement about independents is important and Nate Silver's poll aggregation shows public opinion for impeachment climbing by 14 points over the past month getting close to the 50% point:  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/  Of course you are free to disbelieve data as you see fit.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #556 on: October 24, 2019, 05:21:01 pm »

As with a couple of other posters here, you are going to soon enter my 'no-read' zone.  Your statement about Congressman Gowdy is just silly given his prominence in past inquiries.  Gowdy led the House appointed committee that investigated Secretary Clinton and was also seriously considered as a lawyer to help President Trump negotiate the current impeachment difficulties.  If you so desire you can read more about Gowdy and how the President's crew botched the attempt to hire him:  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/us/politics/trey-gowdy-trump-impeachment.html  The President is not being indicted in a secret hearing in a soundproof room.  The three Congressional Committees are collecting evidence the same way a Grand Jury does.  Indictment only takes place with an impeachment vote and the trial is the conducted with the Senate sitting as the jury.  this is all pretty much Civics 101. 

Your statement about independents is important and Nate Silver's poll aggregation shows public opinion for impeachment climbing by 14 points over the past month getting close to the 50% point:  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/  Of course you are free to disbelieve data as you see fit.

Yes, but if you look at party break down, the numbers show that overall it is Dems wanting impeachment.  Very very few republicans do and less then half of independents.  On top of that, the NYT polled swing states and those numbers don't look good for impeachment there, and it is the in swing states where you win. 

"When you strike the king, you better kill him."  If the Dems can't get a conviction at this point, they are in serious trouble, especially considering the current Democratic field. 

Like I said before, unless clear evidence comes out, the Dems best course of action is to drop this impeachment inquiry and get actual bills passed so the vulnerable Dems have something to run on.  Maybe, if they do this, they will actually retain the house. 

faberryman

« Reply #557 on: October 24, 2019, 05:24:33 pm »

Like I said before, unless clear evidence comes out, the Dems best course of action is to drop this impeachment inquiry and get actual bills passed so the vulnerable Dems have something to run on.  Maybe, if they do this, they will actually retain the house.
How can House Democrats get bills passed if McConnell won't bring them to the Senate floor?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #558 on: October 24, 2019, 06:15:37 pm »

How can House Democrats get bills passed if McConnell won't bring them to the Senate floor?

This crazy idea called bi-partisanship. 

Maybe the moderate Dems ignore the progressives and work with the moderate Republicans to create bills the Senate would actually consider. 

John Camp

« Reply #559 on: October 24, 2019, 06:33:22 pm »

This crazy idea called bi-partisanship. 

Maybe the moderate Dems ignore the progressives and work with the moderate Republicans to create bills the Senate would actually consider.

You don't understand how it works, Joe. Mitch McConnell alone decides which bills get voted on. Not the Republican moderates.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 196   Go Up