Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 137365 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2019, 03:20:09 am »

Please dont Bart! Yours are the main reason to visit the site!

Bart is far and away the most constructive and informative contributor to this (sub-)forum, and it's no wonder that he (very rarely) loses patience with those who are less honest. If he were to be driven away because he expresses that impatience in a straightforward way without flowery language or snide insinuation, that would be the forum's loss.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2019, 05:00:33 am »

+1

rabanito

« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2019, 05:24:54 am »

+1
I couldn't care less about these discussions on that person Trump or whatever.
Letting it happen was the mistake of the moderator IMHO in the first place. A "whim".
But it is very bad again IMHO when a contributor that many of us appreciate thinks of moving
It's OUR loss..

I  agree with jeremyrh

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #523 on: October 24, 2019, 07:09:42 am »

Bart is far and away the most constructive and informative contributor to this (sub-)forum, and it's no wonder that he (very rarely) loses patience with those who are less honest. If he were to be driven away because he expresses that impatience in a straightforward way without flowery language or snide insinuation, that would be the forum's loss.

I agree that it is a loss. The use of the word "dim" was problematic, but is no worse than other examples that were not commented or acted on. But forum moderation is not an exact science.
--
Robert

stamper

« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2019, 07:20:04 am »

Quite a few members have " called" Alan out without being rebuked. Some of his comments are provocative therefore he has brought it upon himself? ::)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2019, 07:22:20 am »

Jeremy,  Your nonchalance is not appreciated. Bart personally attacked me and deliberately called me stupid and was called out for it.    I have done the same myself a couple of times in the heat of battle and was called out for it as well. I took my medicine and tried to correct my ways and then moved on.   No one is forcing him out, certainly not me or the moderator. It's his call.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #526 on: October 24, 2019, 07:31:57 am »

Quite a few members have " called" Alan out without being rebuked. Some of his comments are provocative therefore he has brought it upon himself? ::)
If you can't read my posts because they're provocative, whatever that means,  and the only response you can come up with is to call me names,  you ought to stop reading my posts.   I wouldn't want to upset you and ruin your day.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #527 on: October 24, 2019, 08:19:38 am »

Because of the complaints, the Democrat party changed their procedures.  I believe they still have superdelegates.  But they can't be used unless the first round of voting for the nominee does not get a majority.  Then they can go back to their shifty ways.  :)
Let's also not forget the current attempts by three states to eliminate Republican party primary voting even though there are three announced candidates running against President Trump.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #528 on: October 24, 2019, 08:26:04 am »

To answer the question, the lowest administrative voting level in the US is usually a city (town, township) or, occasionally, a county if there is no substantial city in that county. You would sign up to vote with your town or county. Usually (and in my experience, virtually always) when you sign up to vote at the lowest level, you're also signing up to vote at every level, up to and including federal elections.

Congress also passed a law making it easier to register to vote back in 1993 with the passage of the National Voter Registration Act.  this was done on the elections clause of the Constitution.

"The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing [sic] Senators."

stamper

« Reply #529 on: October 24, 2019, 08:30:35 am »

If you can't read my posts because they're provocative, whatever that means,  and the only response you can come up with is to call me names,  you ought to stop reading my posts.   I wouldn't want to upset you and ruin your day.

I haven't called you names. Re read my post. I said that some of your posts are provocative. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #530 on: October 24, 2019, 08:42:23 am »

Let's also not forget the current attempts by three states to eliminate Republican party primary voting even though there are three announced candidates running against President Trump.  Nor show if they learned their lesson.
That's also not right.   But let's face it,  the superdelegate situation with Hillary and Bernie was a major embarrassment to the Democrat party. Not sure if they learned their lesson.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #531 on: October 24, 2019, 08:46:19 am »

I haven't called you names. Re read my post. I said that some of your posts are provocative. 
I've said enough on this matter and have moved on.   If anything I've said may have offended you,  I apologize. Thank you.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #532 on: October 24, 2019, 09:07:17 am »

Thank you to those who have expressed their appreciation for my contributions.

So far I've been busy removing about a hundred of my posts from this and a few other threads, which took some time. It would take much more time to delete the other, approx. 9000 contributions. I have not (yet) removed myself from LuLa, but I do have a growing reluctance to contribute to making some of the Lula forum threads more informative.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I thought the thread was about Impeaching Donald Trump, but I'm probably wrong about that as well.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #533 on: October 24, 2019, 09:10:19 am »

Thank you to those who have expressed their appreciation for my contributions.

So far I've been busy removing about a hundred of my posts from this and a few other threads, which took some time. It would take much more time to delete the other, approx. 9000 contributions. I have not (yet) removed myself from LuLa, but I do have a growing reluctance to contribute to making some of the Lula forum threads more informative.

Cheers,
Bart
To paraphrase the Washington Post's logo:  Democracy and truth die in darkness

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2019, 09:14:20 am »

To paraphrase the Washington Post's logo:  Democracy and truth die in darkness

Glad you avoided the word "dim". ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:21:36 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #535 on: October 24, 2019, 09:18:34 am »

Where have I heard that word used before? 😀

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #536 on: October 24, 2019, 09:23:03 am »

Glad you avoided the word "dim". ;)
I only use the word 'dim' as it applies to light bulbs.  this is why I have been installing LED bulbs and light strips.  They provide nice illumination though I'm not sure they are the best for viewing photographs.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #537 on: October 24, 2019, 11:09:48 am »

Well it seems more and more the Dems have put themselves between a rock and hard place.  They can either vote to impeach or not, both of which are a loose loose. 

Lets take a look at voting for impeachment.  In the beginning of this, the main focus was on whether or not Trump withheld aid for investigations on Biden.  This would be especially bad if it were true, however, after the release of the transcript and the fact the Ukrainians were not aware of aid being withheld, this theory fell apart.  Now the goal posts have shift and Biden is not even being talked about, even though Pelosi promised this would be a very focused investigation, to whether or not the Trump administration engaged in any kind of quid pro quo at all.  First, countries do not work together out of the goodness of their hearts, but for some kind of benefit, or a quid pro quo, which is the point Mulvaney made, albeit in a clumsy fashion.  So in this case, Trump asked for the Ukrainians to continue investigating 2016 election interference, and Trump considered withholding the aid to try and get it done.  The problem here is two fold, first the Dems did the same thing to Ukraine in previous investigations.  They required Ukraine to work with them in investigating 2016 election interference at the expense of withholding aid.  Not only does this imply that the Dems feel investigating 2016 election interference is important, but that they are willing to use the same tactic that they are vilifying Trump for.  And second, since the Ukrainians were not aware of aid being withheld, this is still not a real quid pro quo. 

All things considered at this point, the case is very weak and would not pass if it made it to the Senate.  This would only help Trump. 

Second option is to not hold a vote and let the impeachment slowly fade away.  Although this "may" help those Dems in weak districts, this still hurts the Dems overall.  Not bringing a vote will certainly demoralize the progressive base and could effect voter turnout.  On top of that, this whole process will end being another Mueller Report bust, further eroding public confidence of the House.  This combined with lack of reasonable legislation getting passed will be a plus for the Republicans and Trump.  It may not be as much of a plus as an actual vote, but still a plus. 

Unless some bomb shell comes along that proves Trump engaged in a quid pro quo outside of the normal operations of diplomacy, such as only being concerned with Joe Biden, this whole thing will blow up in the Dems faces.  One analogy I read recently was comparing buying some aspirin from a local pharmacy vs. buying some heroin from a drug dealer.  Both are quid pro quos, but one is legal and the other is not.  For all intents and purposes, it seeming more and more Trump engaged in the former, but the Dems are desperately trying to make it look like the latter. 

As an aside, does anyone know if the new MacBooks have issues with the space bar?  I keep on accidentally typing double spaces, and it getting to be quite annoying. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:21:27 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #538 on: October 24, 2019, 11:19:08 am »

So far I've been busy removing about a hundred of my posts from this and a few other threads, which took some time.

If I had considered any of those hundred posts to have been offensive, I'd have let you know; and no doubt if anyone else had so considered them, they would have let either you or me know. I didn't, and as far as I am aware, they haven't.

You may stay or leave, of course; but to depart after one reprimand would appear, to me at least, overly sensitive.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #539 on: October 24, 2019, 11:24:30 am »

Besides that, we'll miss your charts if you go away, Bart. Stick around.  ;D ::)
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 196   Go Up