Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 196   Go Down

Author Topic: Impeaching Donald Trump  (Read 137331 times)

jeremyrh

Re: Impeaching Donald Trump
« Reply #340 on: October 11, 2019, 04:00:18 pm »

Regardless of what the government did or didn't do, it's private investment capital that's taking the risk. 

You can't have been reading properly - it was the governmnet that took the risk in funding the startups' technology.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #341 on: October 11, 2019, 05:51:43 pm »

quite right.  That's exactly what I did and it worked fine for about five years when most of my clients went their own way.  At that point, I was happy to just go into retirement and let the LLC fade into obscurity.  I still get occasional press calls because of the pharma experience but that doesn't pay very much!!! ;D

I am sure you knew that, but thought it would be good to point it out for others. 

And it is, somewhat, reassuring to know press rates suck in other lines of work beside just photography. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

John Camp

« Reply #342 on: October 11, 2019, 05:57:25 pm »

Ah, yes, the granola thread.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #343 on: October 11, 2019, 06:12:42 pm »

You can't have been reading properly - it was the governmnet that took the risk in funding the startups' technology.
I don't know anything about startups. No one ever helped me when I started my business.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #344 on: October 12, 2019, 09:10:12 am »

I don't know anything about startups. No one ever helped me when I started my business.
I think Jeremy was speaking about all the government funded research (DARPA, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Heath, Department of Agriculture) that many tech startups took advantage of.  Certainly in my area of expertise, key discoveries by federally funded university researchers led to the creation of the biotechnology industry and the development of a lot of novel pharmaceuticals.

jeremyrh

« Reply #345 on: October 13, 2019, 11:35:55 am »

I think Jeremy was speaking about all the government funded research (DARPA, National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Heath, Department of Agriculture) that many tech startups took advantage of.  Certainly in my area of expertise, key discoveries by federally funded university researchers led to the creation of the biotechnology industry and the development of a lot of novel pharmaceuticals.

From the first paragraph of the HBR article I linked to:

"Many of the revolutionary technologies that make the iPhone and other products and services “smart” were funded by the U.S. government. Take, for instance, the Internet, GPS, touchscreen display, as well as the latest voice-activated personal assistant, Siri. And Apple did not just benefit from government-funded research activities. It also received its early stage finance from the U.S. government’s Small Business Investment Company program. Venture capitalists entered only after government funding had gotten the company to the critical proof of concept."

Peter McLennan

« Reply #346 on: October 13, 2019, 12:42:29 pm »

"I'm from the government and we're here to help"  :)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2019, 01:27:51 pm »

That's what also Trump said:

“I want to add that I’m here to help you folks do well, and you’re doing well right now,” he said to a room that included Apple CEO Tim Cook, Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos and Alphabet CEO Larry Page.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdrange/2016/12/14/donald-trump-to-techs-leaders-im-on-your-side/#57877aec591f

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #348 on: October 13, 2019, 07:40:18 pm »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #349 on: October 13, 2019, 07:46:04 pm »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #350 on: October 13, 2019, 10:34:35 pm »

From the first paragraph of the HBR article I linked to:

"Many of the revolutionary technologies that make the iPhone and other products and services “smart” were funded by the U.S. government. Take, for instance, the Internet, GPS, touchscreen display, as well as the latest voice-activated personal assistant, Siri. And Apple did not just benefit from government-funded research activities. It also received its early stage finance from the U.S. government’s Small Business Investment Company program. Venture capitalists entered only after government funding had gotten the company to the critical proof of concept."

It's true that the government also buys things from companies.  So you could argue that a highway contractor who got a job from the Feds to re-pave US Route 66 and got his business started that way was government funded.  But what really happened is the company was privately funded and got work from the government.  The investors were still taking a risk with their investments.  There's no guarantee that the company would survive in a competitive business world.   

But I don't know what you're suggesting in any case. Should government seize the company after it becomes successful?  The thing to remember is that when the company starts making profits, they'll be taxed by the government so it will get some of its success in the end.  So will the public because they will use those government taxes for public use.  Employees of those companies also pay taxes to the Feds as do the stockholders with dividends and when they sell their stock pay capital gains tax.  If the Feds were to seize the companie for itself, you wind up like Cuba or the USSR. 

jeremyrh

« Reply #351 on: October 14, 2019, 01:29:29 am »

But I don't know what you're suggesting in any case.

That Apple et al should pay their taxes.

If the Feds were to seize the companie for itself, you wind up like Cuba or the USSR.

Unlikely. You haven't got the music.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #352 on: October 14, 2019, 01:40:57 am »

That Apple et al should pay their taxes.

Unlikely. You haven't got the music.
We got jazz, swing, country and rock n roll. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »

Senate leader Republican Mitch McConnell calls House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's bluff about impeachment and Pelosi blinks.
https://www.vox.com/2019/10/17/20919037/nancy-pelosi-mitch-mcconnell-impeachment-timeline-donald-trump

faberryman

« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2019, 04:27:13 pm »

Senate leader Republican Mitch McConnell calls House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's bluff about impeachment and Pelosi blinks.
https://www.vox.com/2019/10/17/20919037/nancy-pelosi-mitch-mcconnell-impeachment-timeline-donald-trump
How did McConnell call Pelosi’s bluff and how did she blink?

James Clark

« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2019, 07:47:41 pm »

Oh look.  Corruption.  But hey, look over there.  Hunter Biden. HUNTER BIDEN!

::). This alone is impeachable. And illegal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:54:22 pm by James Clark »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2019, 08:06:30 pm »

Oh look.  Corruption.  But hey, look over there.  Hunter Biden. HUNTER BIDEN!

::). This alone is impeachable. And illegal.

Good luck with this one; I guess sometimes you just need to see what sticks. 

Personally I dont see how this rises to the level of gifts, especially if Trump is sponsoring the summit and not making any money.  (I have no idea if this is the case; I could only read the headline and not the full article.)  And if the property did take in revenue for this event, it would be money paid for services provided, which is not exactly a gift.  He would need to make a profit beyond what is normal. 

Anyway, personally you may be able to get him on the Emoluments Clause with the democrats.  Putting Warren on the ticket would be the best gift of his career. 

James Clark

« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2019, 09:02:17 pm »

Good luck with this one; I guess sometimes you just need to see what sticks. 

Personally I dont see how this rises to the level of gifts, especially if Trump is sponsoring the summit and not making any money.  (I have no idea if this is the case; I could only read the headline and not the full article.)  And if the property did take in revenue for this event, it would be money paid for services provided, which is not exactly a gift.  He would need to make a profit beyond what is normal. 

Really?  You don't see the complete and total self-dealing and conflict of interest here?   Listen.  If we come back and find that Donald Trump, in his generosity and magnanimity donated the rooms, the space, and the catering then that's great.  I find that... doubtful.

Then there's the issue of a complete and utter lack of self-awareness this shows, but that's par for the course for a man who wants to build government policy around investigating a rival's son, but happily steers business to one of his own kids directly using the office, and places his other kids in positions where they're so conflicted that a blind man could see it.   

If you're ok with that, I don't know what to tell you.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:05:45 pm by James Clark »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2019, 09:18:07 pm »

Really?  You don't see the complete and total self-dealing and conflict of interest here?   Listen.  If we come back and find that Donald Trump, in his generosity and magnanimity donated the rooms, the space, and the catering then that's great.  I find that... doubtful.

Then there's the issue of a complete and utter lack of self-awareness this shows, but that's par for the course for a man who wants to build government policy around investigating a rival's son, but happily steers business to one of his own kids directly using the office, and places his other kids in positions where they're so conflicted that a blind man could see it.   

If you're ok with that, I don't know what to tell you.

I'll give you that.  It is a head scratcher that he decided to do this considering all of the other things going on.  Seems he likes to invite criticism. 

But anyway, getting back to the point.  The Republicans in the Senate will never convict Trump, unless something more damning comes out, and it is looking more and more that the Dems in the house don't even have the numbers to actually pass a formal vote.  They tried three times before and failed to pass it, so I doubt a fourth time will be the charm. 

So, the whole premise of this impeachment thingie is tainting Trump for the election, which would certainly work if the Democratic candidates were not crazy.  But they have totally gone off the cliff, tripping over each other to prove how woke they are, and it appears the craziest one of them all will be on the ticket.  Not to mention Warren is a known lier and has been caught this week three times. 

Last, the economy is doing great.  Just read that in the last two years average middle class household income increased by $5000.  In the 8 years under Obama, it only increased $1000. 

So, unless the economy tanks by next November, or one of the moderate Dems gets the ticket, Trump will easily win re-election, especially if Warren is on the ticket. 

James Clark

« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2019, 09:58:37 pm »

I'll give you that.  It is a head scratcher that he decided to do this considering all of the other things going on.  Seems he likes to invite criticism. 

But anyway, getting back to the point.  The Republicans in the Senate will never convict Trump, unless something more damning comes out, and it is looking more and more that the Dems in the house don't even have the numbers to actually pass a formal vote.  They tried three times before and failed to pass it, so I doubt a fourth time will be the charm. 

So, the whole premise of this impeachment thingie is tainting Trump for the election, which would certainly work if the Democratic candidates were not crazy.  But they have totally gone off the cliff, tripping over each other to prove how woke they are, and it appears the craziest one of them all will be on the ticket.  Not to mention Warren is a known lier and has been caught this week three times. 

Last, the economy is doing great.  Just read that in the last two years average middle class household income increased by $5000.  In the 8 years under Obama, it only increased $1000. 

So, unless the economy tanks by next November, or one of the moderate Dems gets the ticket, Trump will easily win re-election, especially if Warren is on the ticket.

Yeah - I hear you.  We're having two different discussions in a sense.  On one hand, there's the philosophical argument about whether Donald Trump is fit for the presidency.  I believe that the available evidence, ranging from the constant questionable decisions, to the self-dealing, to the nepotism, to the unwillingness to properly learn about things that impact every American's (and to be honest, much of the rest of the world's) life, to the abuse of power and seeming inability to actually run the government correctly, (and the various criminal/civil violations contained in these actions) make him unfit.  It's my belief that he should be impeached and removed on that basis - it's our duty to do so.  It's NOT about policy disagreements - that, as they say, are what elections are for.  Its about incompetence.  High crimes and misdemeanors in the parlance of the founders, or wanton breach of fiduciary duty in the language of today.

After that, who knows.  You may be (in fact I think you probably are) correct about the results of a Warren nomination, though I'm not at all convinced that her ideas are any wackier than some of the stuff I hear from the right.  There will be the sexists that won't vote for her because she's "shrill" and the know-nothings who won't vote for her because she's not "someone I can have a beer with" and total fools who won't vote for her because she's a "liar" even though every third word out of Trump's mouth is a lie, and so on and so on.

I'm not sure anymore, however, that the two things are relevant to one another.  For a long time I was on the side of impeachment being a bad political move for Democrats with an eye toward 2020.  But the more we find out, the more I'm convinced that a Republican administration with some sort of competence and compassion (even if I disagree with their philosophies) is a fair trade to make so long as the incompetent in office now is removed.   (And that's a nasty position to have to take, considering Mike Pence is pretty much a horror show himself.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:26:37 pm by James Clark »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 196   Go Up