Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D vs a DSLR Thats is close to IQ on the X1D  (Read 1981 times)

rollsman44

Hasselblad X1D vs a DSLR Thats is close to IQ on the X1D
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:54:07 am »

Just speculating for a friend. He does not want to spend the money to buy a X1D and 1 XCD lens for his portraits and general photography.
  Is there a DSLR or Other Mirrorless camera that will come close to the X1D, Less than 50Mp is ok.  Easy tio use ergonomically and Excellent Skin tones. Max ISO 1600-3200. AF is a Must. Any suggestions that I can pass on to him is appreciated. ( He does NOT want Sony) Thank you

My suggestion was the Nikon D850.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:11:00 am by rollsman44 »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Hasselblad X1D vs a DSLR Thats is close to IQ on the X1D
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 10:47:44 am »

Just speculating for a friend. He does not want to spend the money to buy a X1D and 1 XCD lens for his portraits and general photography.
  Is there a DSLR or Other Mirrorless camera that will come close to the X1D, Less than 50Mp is ok.  Easy tio use ergonomically and Excellent Skin tones. Max ISO 1600-3200. AF is a Must. Any suggestions that I can pass on to him is appreciated. ( He does NOT want Sony) Thank you

Z7? GFX 50R?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 02:51:15 am »

What does "close" mean?
Seriously the specials on the X1D and one lens with cash back are incredible at the moment.
I am sure that the D850 is an excellent 5 letter Japanese camera though. I have one of those too (CANON). The X1D is smaller and about 3/4 the weight of a Nikon/ Canon DSLR. "ergonomically and Excellent Skin tones" = Hasselblad.

50MP may sound unnecessary and it usually is. However I did a portrait shoot last week with the 90mm XCD and made some great head and shoulder crops from 3/4 length images and still had 20MP to play with.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:32:33 am »

What does "close" mean?
Seriously the specials on the X1D and one lens with cash back are incredible at the moment.
I am sure that the D850 is an excellent 5 letter Japanese camera though. I have one of those too (CANON). The X1D is smaller and about 3/4 the weight of a Nikon/ Canon DSLR. "ergonomically and Excellent Skin tones" = Hasselblad.

50MP may sound unnecessary and it usually is. However I did a portrait shoot last week with the 90mm XCD and made some great head and shoulder crops from 3/4 length images and still had 20MP to play with.

That's key: however many pixels the 2x3 format has, for portraits, you generally have to dump far too many to avoid an overly narrow format for your final file shape. It's nothing new: it was my curse throughout my Kodachrome days. Looking at the picture and thinking all the time that you are going to crop away a great part of it is not good unless you are working against a roll of paper, in which case, the influence of the background upon your mind and eye is far less strong. It's about a lot more than just grain, pixels or DOF.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:42:43 am »

Any suggestions that I can pass on to him is appreciated. (He does NOT want Sony)

Tell him to rent before he buys. Then he gets an opportunity to try various lenses and a battery grip.

https://www.lensrentals.com
https://www.borrowlenses.com/

With most equipment, both of these shops allow you to buy what you’ve rented, too.
~ CB

rollsman44

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:56:15 pm »

Thank you. I will pass this on to him.  I know he wants to spend at least half the cost of the X1D body and 1 XCD lens.  Thanks 

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 04:10:56 pm »

Quality and megapixels are splitting hairs now a days.  Megapixels only matter if they matter.  Not everyone needs.  But compare apples to apples.  What does the x1d do that other cameras don’t, and vice versa in terms of the results needed.  That makes the difference.  Otherwise...”quality” is not only subjective, but I can’t imagine any of the latest sensors that can’t deliver top grade images.  It just doesn’t make sense. 

The z7 and Sony a7r 3 or 4 are probably good options that are in the same size space.  A used Fuji 50r is had for decent money too. 

I second the rental idea.  I was seriously considering the x1d until I tried one.  The interface is not for me at all.  I’m just not a touch screen person.  However, images were fantastic.  But nothing that stood out above the crowd so far the way medium format did when everything else was 12mp.  The phase 150 gives that sense...but it’s definitely passed the line of overkill for most of what I do.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

rollsman44

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 05:57:22 pm »

I understand what you are saying.  Thank you for sharing that.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 06:11:56 pm »

I tested all the mirrorless cameras at last Photokina with particular attention to the EVF and how easy it was to use the camera.  I'd ask the people at the booth how to set for example the focus peaking or turn it off and see how long it would take them and how many menus etc.  It's embarrassing that even most of the reps could not find their way through the menus on the all the prosumer brands.    My take away was that of the cameras then available (no Fuji GFX 100) the Hasselblad X1D had a much more enjoyable (for me personally ymmv) viewfinder than the Z7, EOS-R, Fuji and Sony cameras.   I also liked the Pentax 645Z which still had an optical viewfinder. 

I think being able to see what's in the image - and compose is such an important thing that it shouldn't be overlooked in camera choice.    The viewfinder in the X1D is really just seems bigger - it's not got anywhere as many pixels but it's really easy to nail focus when doing it manually which I like.   I also think the camera's simplicity of operation is really great and also the leaf shutter in lenses for strobe work.

I dunno - I own all three sets now (X1D, Sony A7R IV, and Pentax 645z) not counting all my Rollei's or other formats.  If you don't mind size and weight the Pentax is really a great camera and not as expensive as the others used particularly when you factor in lenses.   

I'd agree with the above post about color - out of the box the Hasselblad colors are really pleasing which is not true of the Pentax for sure.

Rolleiflex USA

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 08:09:05 pm »

645z - these what ifs are really hard as 'less than 50mp is ok' doesn't really help.  Grab a Fuji crop & call it good?

What are they shooting with now, what issues are they trying to resolve. Grab some of the demo files from DPR for the different bodies & figure out what color they like.
t: @PNWMF

rollsman44

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 05:52:08 pm »

Nikon D810 is now what he has. He wants to step up to a MF camera for Portraits and some general carry with him on vacations etc.
  Not too heavy as he does not want to lug around a tripod. I think the X1D is the best fit, But his budget is not that much

Mexecutioner

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 10:14:23 pm »

If I were I’m his shoes I’d keep the 810 for some more time and save up some money for something better than the 850

pschefz

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2019, 11:11:37 pm »

hard to make recommendations based on facts if the person refuses the obvious choice....
but they will end up with a sony sensor anyway....
out of all the choices the X1D is the prettiest and most expensive, as  well as the only one with high sync speed for flash (which nobody actually shooting it seems to make use of) it also has the worst AF and software/workflow but some people really swear by the color science....
I want a X1DII, so does everybody i know but that does not make it the best choice.... which is why nobody i know has one or seriously considers it....
schefz.com
artloch.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 12:00:23 am »

Yes good point about the flash sync on the X1D, and for the same reason it has the fast flash sync it also has good hand holdability thanks to the leaf shutters.  I'm pretty impressed by how steady I can shoot with the X1D and the 90mm.   The downside of leaf shutter lenses is no focal plane shutter and only e-shutter for adapted lenses. 
Rolleiflex USA

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 05:37:59 am »

hard to make recommendations based on facts if the person refuses the obvious choice....
but they will end up with a sony sensor anyway....
out of all the choices the X1D is the prettiest and most expensive, as  well as the only one with high sync speed for flash (which nobody actually shooting it seems to make use of) it also has the worst AF and software/workflow but some people really swear by the color science....
I want a X1DII, so does everybody i know but that does not make it the best choice.... which is why nobody i know has one or seriously considers it....
>the only one with high sync speed for flash (which nobody actually shooting it seems to make use of)
Well I certainly do. All of my flash shots are at 1/400 or 1/800. I haven't had the need to go 1/2000 yet.
>also has the worst AF
Probably, but I most of work is MF anyway.
>and software/workflow but some people really swear by the color science....
I have no issue with the workflow, in fact it is far better than anything involving ACR. The output colour is excellent and the Phocus software gives you built in camera calibration which you can do in less than two minutes. Even without doing a calibration it is excellent for most work.

>The downside of leaf shutter lenses is no focal plane shutter and only e-shutter for adapted lenses.
No FPS is a plus for me. No shake right at the sensor. All of the HC lenses can be used without e  shutter. The only thing I use e shutter for is the Canon TSE for landscape.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:41:13 am by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up