Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Sizing Prints in LR or PS  (Read 1315 times)

rollsman44

Help with Sizing Prints in LR or PS
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:45:38 am »

I go into PS and do my Cloning and then I save "as is" and save to a folder on my desktop. I want to size my images to be sent out for prints. I want to make a few sizes off the same file
  I am NOT that Savvy in PS so I save the adjustments I made in PS and save them to a folder on the desk top. Then I open the folder in LR Classic and want to just size the files to get the Max Resolution for each size I make up to be sent to a Color lab.  I dont print my own pictures.
 Any easy way to do this as I am NOT the good in PS.  I appreciate any help.  Thanks   

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Help with Sizing Prints in LR or PS
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 10:11:24 am »

I go into PS and do my Cloning and then I save "as is" and save to a folder on my desktop. I want to size my images to be sent out for prints. I want to make a few sizes off the same file
  I am NOT that Savvy in PS so I save the adjustments I made in PS and save them to a folder on the desk top. Then I open the folder in LR Classic and want to just size the files to get the Max Resolution for each size I make up to be sent to a Color lab.  I dont print my own pictures.
 Any easy way to do this as I am NOT the good in PS.  I appreciate any help.  Thanks

I think you are making your life more difficult than it needs to be. Just save the file at the highest resolution you can and send it to the lab with your order for the various sizes you want. They'll do the rest.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »

What size file(s) do you have (pixel dimensions)

What instructions do the print lab have on their website?  Size; pixels, resolution.  Format, colour space.. ie all instructions.

With these 2 things it should be easy to help and as Peter said it may be as easy as just sending the file and requesting the print size(s) (if you have enough pixels).

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:54:33 pm »

I guess the only thing I would add to the above tips refers to cropping.  For example, if you simply send the full frame file and stipulate an 8x10" print you are then at the mercy of the lab to crop the file accordingly.  Therefore, you would of course need to crop every image size that doesn't coincide with the aspect ratio of the original camera file.   
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 04:32:12 pm »

I guess the only thing I would add to the above tips refers to cropping.  For example, if you simply send the full frame file and stipulate an 8x10" print you are then at the mercy of the lab to crop the file accordingly.  Therefore, you would of course need to crop every image size that doesn't coincide with the aspect ratio of the original camera file.

Very good point .. I just helped someone with that exact problem, trying to fit a 2:3 print into an 11x14 matt opening (with a viewable border) ....

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 08:46:10 pm »

Here is how I'd do it using a virtual copy of your "master" and two areas in LR.....Crop and Export.

After finding out what resolution, file type and color space the Printing Service wants (say..."we recommend 300ppi, jpg and sRGB"), open your final tweaked image in LR and create a virtual copy. You'll now work only on the virtual copy, leaving your "master final" untouched.  Let's say you want an 12x14 print. 

Start with the CROP TOOL in the develop module.  In the crop tool, set your aspect ratio to custom>12x14.  Adjust the crop area per your liking on your image. 

Next, click on File>EXPORT to open the Export Window.  In Export Location, I'd create a folder to hold my ready for printing files, Titled "Ready for Print Service Bureau".   Then in File Naming, give this file a custom name, ie, "pretty picture 12x14".  Then in File Settings, set Image Format to jpg and Color Space to sRGB.  Then in Image Sizing, click on "Resize to Fit" and set Long edge to 14" and Resolution to 300 pixels per inch.    Then in Sharpening, choose whatever is appropriate.

Click on Export.  You'll now have the ready to send file in your "Ready for Print Service Bureau".

For your next print size, return to your "master final" file and create a new virtual copy and proceed through these same steps but cropping and "resizing to fit" to your new print size, whatever that might be.  This takes much longer to explain than to actually do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up