Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best adapted zoom for Sony a7r3?  (Read 524 times)

andyptak

Best adapted zoom for Sony a7r3?
« on: September 27, 2019, 02:35:46 pm »

I shoot resorts and a lot of shots are from walking around the property and looking for interesting views and good angles. Sounds mundane but it really is necessary.

I use Sony 16-35 and 24-70 for this purpose. I minimize my use of primes because I want flexibility and to avoid changing lenses while outdoors and getting dust on the sensor.

I have no problem with either lens, they do the job just fine. I am finding them a bit sterile though and have been looking around for something with character and a nice 3D rendering. Contax is high on my list and I have read good things about the N series 35-70. Pixel peeping and MTF charts are not of interest to me. Obviously I want good quality but beyond that I want the "look" . Does anyone have first hand experience with an alternative to Sony and that includes Sony/Zeiss branded? Thanks.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Best adapted zoom for Sony a7r3?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 04:53:18 am »

The Contax 35-70 is a Contax/Yashica lens, not a Contax N.  This makes it easier to adapt as it's manual aperture, but also manual focus.  I used it for years on my Canon DSLR bodies and still occasionally on Sony.  It's a really terrific lens with lots of so called micro contrast and has a close focus option as well.  The 28-85 is a better range but is definitely weaker at the wide end and it's a very large lens.  The 28-70 was sold as the equivalent of a kit lens and is well priced.  It gets little love but I've found it rather good, but would use the 35-70 over it and primes either side.  Managing IBIS is a pain with manual/dumb zooms as you have to set the value you're using.  I set up a custom button to give access to the menu.

A lot of people like the 24-85 Contax N zoom, although it's definitely weaker at the wide end, much more practical range though, but you'll need a more expensive adapter to get aperture control.  I've not looked recently but there used to be one that gave aperture control only, no AF, and one that damaged the camera contacts, so do some careful searching if you go that route.  Fred Miranda is a good place to check in the Alt forum.  One thing to beware of with the Contax N range is that they can no longer be repaired.

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/service/download-center/datasheets/historical-lenses/contax-yashica.html
https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/service/download-center/datasheets/historical-lenses/contax-n.html

Mike

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:40:42 pm »

Thanks. I was having a bit of a brain fart when I called the 35-70 an N. I meant to type that the 17-35 N is looking interesting. I already have a 28-85 C/Y and it's okay but not wowing me. I don't mind the extra money for an N type and separate adapter (Metabones or Fringer, I guess) but I'd hate to spring for that and feel "meh" about the look it produces. If that's the case, I may as well stick with my current Sony which isn't that bad, it's just a bit ordinary. I'm looking for more character and 3D pop and if that doesn't exist then I'll stay with what I have.

Shiftworker

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 02:21:41 am »

Another suggestion for the Contax 35-70 3.4. It has the classic zeiss 'character' plus astonishing levels of resolution right across the frame that embarrass many primes at similar focal lengths. Used it many times of my A7r II and just about to try it on my new A7r IV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up