Quiet

Does this work?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Quiet
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 05:24:12 am »

It does for me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 06:13:45 am »

Very evocative.

I find these kinds of image a lot more interesting than sweeping landscape; I sometimes think that the wide-angle lens, used to cover the horizon, was the worst thing ever to hit that genre.

It has a parallel in people photography, where headshots - for me - are very often much more powerful than any full-length shot. Of course, it requires the right face or head in order to pull that one off...

;-)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:19:45 am »

Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

John R

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 11:18:46 pm »

Very evocative.

I find these kinds of image a lot more interesting than sweeping landscape; I sometimes think that the wide-angle lens, used to cover the horizon, was the worst thing ever to hit that genre.

It has a parallel in people photography, where headshots - for me - are very often much more powerful than any full-length shot. Of course, it requires the right face or head in order to pull that one off...

;-)
Yes, quite evocative image. Your point is well made Rob. But to be fair, it is also true that such images are very hard to come by. And perhaps that is why we see so few truly evocative images. We have to train ourselves to see them first. Then capture them in a way that represents what we saw and felt. No so easy in my experience. Well seen and captured Armand.

JR

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 12:32:42 am »

Yes.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 12:33:57 am »

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 08:01:50 am »

Yes, quite evocative image. Your point is well made Rob. But to be fair, it is also true that such images are very hard to come by. And perhaps that is why we see so few truly evocative images. We have to train ourselves to see them first. Then capture them in a way that represents what we saw and felt. No so easy in my experience. Well seen and captured Armand.

JR

Training. That's the difficulty.

I think you can only do that by yourself, and through looking at a lot of pictures and asking yourself which ones you like and why. As important, knowing why others offend you.

I firmly believe it has to come cold, from within, not via mentors. Otherwise, you run a great risk of turning into their alter ego rather than an original of yourself.

By looking, totally free from comment from other people, your own personality draws its conclusions free of external suggestion and influence. If nothing develops, then you can safely assume there was nothing there in the first place, and you are better finding out early before breaking your heart over the years.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 08:30:01 am »

You know, of course, that I agree with you, Rob. You chose a course and made a living as a professional doing what struck your own eye. But the average professional suffers from a problem with subject matter that doesn’t come from mentors. It comes from the fact that their customers, from TV and other disastrous influences have a pretty clear idea of what’s fashionable and acceptable. That’s what they want. When I did my brief stint at professional work I instantly ran into this problem. I gave them what they wanted, but decided photographic prostitution wasn’t my game and quit. When I lived in Colorado Springs there was a large business complex close to home where local professionals would post their work in long hallways, seeking business. It was astonishing how interchangeable all the work was.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 09:23:13 am »

You know, of course, that I agree with you, Rob. You chose a course and made a living as a professional doing what struck your own eye. But the average professional suffers from a problem with subject matter that doesn’t come from mentors. It comes from the fact that their customers, from TV and other disastrous influences have a pretty clear idea of what’s fashionable and acceptable. That’s what they want. When I did my brief stint at professional work I instantly ran into this problem. I gave them what they wanted, but decided photographic prostitution wasn’t my game and quit. When I lived in Colorado Springs there was a large business complex close to home where local professionals would post their work in long hallways, seeking business. It was astonishing how interchangeable all the work was.

About a year ago, I came across a Scottish clothing brand that decided that for its new catalogue, it wanted to have the images produced in a 60s style.

So, what did it do? Rather than hire a survivor of the period, get the real deal (and there are some snappers from the period still active), it took aboard a famous son, I think it was Albert Watson's in this case, to do the work. Why?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:20 am »

Thank you all!

Pages: [1]   Go Up