Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeu de Paume  (Read 808 times)

Rob C

Jeu de Paume
« on: September 25, 2019, 09:09:42 am »

http://www.jeudepaume.org/index.php?page=article&idArt=207

This could be interesting, particularly for folks able to access Paris, France.

The name: for those with a better understanding of French than have I - millions, unfortunately! - does the title signify, simply, "hand games" or, is it perhaps, a far more subtle "slight of hand" meaning, which signifies something very different?

Rob

KMRennie

Re: Jeu de Paume
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:18:20 pm »

Rob jeu de paume is a ball game, a precursor of tennis sometimes called real tennis. The art gallery was an indoor court for the game. About 40 years ago it housed French impressionist art and I spent many hours here awestruck by the work of Degas, Buffet, Monet and many others whose names have slipped through the collander that doubles as my memory. Most of that work is now housed in the Musee d'Orsay from a tennis court to a railway station. Ken

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 05:54:00 pm »

Rob jeu de paume is a ball game, a precursor of tennis sometimes called real tennis. The art gallery was an indoor court for the game. About 40 years ago it housed French impressionist art and I spent many hours here awestruck by the work of Degas, Buffet, Monet and many others whose names have slipped through the collander that doubles as my memory. Most of that work is now housed in the Musee d'Orsay from a tennis court to a railway station. Ken

Thank you for that information.

Thank you, too, for the comfort of knowing that my memory is not the only one riddled with bullet holes! Maybe it's Nature's way of saving us from overload and eventual explosion.

I sometimes think of mine as a sort of astronomical but minor black hole, with the difference that time plays an unusual rĂ´le in that suddenly, when it's of no further immediate use, out from that black cavern pops the lost information. What are you gonna do? Better late than never, or does that only make it worse?

:-)

Rob

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 11:44:07 pm »

I call it "disk latency error".  With hard disks, the latency is in the order of milliseconds.  With my tattered remnants of a brain, minutes.  :(
The other day, I couldn't remember Bob Dylan's name.  Now, THAT is bad.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:55:24 am »

I call it "disk latency error".  With hard disks, the latency is in the order of milliseconds.  With my tattered remnants of a brain, minutes.  :(

You think?

How about when you try to remember the name of the 5th Beatle...

;-(

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 07:38:12 am »

That is unforgivable.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 12:59:42 pm »

That is unforgivable.

Why? The cat can't sing.

Rob

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 02:04:29 pm »

Why? The cat can't sing.

Rob

Love it when a person attempts an objecti :ve judgment of a subjective matter. How about I tell you Sarah Moons images are out of focus and underexposed? Get it? :)
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 02:47:17 pm »

Love it when a person attempts an objecti :ve judgment of a subjective matter. How about I tell you Sarah Moons images are out of focus and underexposed? Get it? :)

But I"d agree with you.

Music, I'm told, is different and much about siinging in tune and not being flat and overly nasal. It's a different ethic.

Were that not so, I would have had a shot at being a pop musician too, despite being unable to play - or even tune - my guitar.

However, he might have been an interesting lyrics writer.

I saw Rod Stewart "singing" to a couple from the UK that had booked a wedding in Vegas (who would do that?) via the collapsed Thomas Cook enterprise. Oh dear... not a good sound, live, and (I hope) without a good sound system to back him up. If charitable, I could try to blame the videographer and sound person.

So many feet of clay out there.

:-)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:54:56 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up