Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fujifilm X-PRO3  (Read 4261 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: New Fujifilm X-PRO3
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 07:12:22 am »

An interesting thought: considering the fact that digital cameras all become so out of date so rapidly, why would anyone make one from titanium, other than to raise the costs?

Rob

According to Fujifilm:

"The frame of the camera body is made from magnesium, while the top cover and the base plate, which are the parts exposed to the elements are made from corrosion resistant titanium."

Alex W

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 07:30:36 am »

They got rid of the ability to change viewfinder mag in the OVF, it looks like 23mm (35mm FF) is the widest you can use with frame lines. Of all the issues I have with the camera, this makes it a complete non starter for me.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 11:43:16 am »

They got rid of the ability to change viewfinder mag in the OVF, it looks like 23mm (35mm FF) is the widest you can use with frame lines. Of all the issues I have with the camera, this makes it a complete non starter for me.

The OVF is good down to 16mm (albeit with no frame lines). According to Fuji, most XPro users were using the EVF anyway - hence they chose to improve that, compromising a bit in the OVF coverage.

When I get the chance (local event perhaps) I will try the camera. Seems the OVF has been improved too.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2019, 12:34:01 pm »

After a trip for several days in New Orleans where I had a X-T2 with few primes and one zoom, exclusively with Across simulation, I'm starting to understand where this X-Pro is aiming. I made a more conscious effort to get everything right in the camera, including minute framing and perfect exposure, and I had very little need to chimp (although old habits die hard). This in turn lead to a significantly more enjoyable experience. I doubt it lead to better photos but I was happier than usual with how things were going. Here is a selection: https://armandtanase.zenfolio.com/p853836271 .
This X-Pro will force you to break the old habits and just focus on the creation process. I don't think I can justify it, I like versatility and I don't do enough city shooting, but at least I'm starting to understand the rationale for it.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2019, 04:34:54 am »

Some nice photos Armand.

Yes, the XPro series has always been about "digital Leica RF experience". A well built camera with OVF and EVF, plus small prime lenses to go with it. That allowed film photogs and new comers to photography to experience RF format and ergonomics.

Also, the target market is probably getting older.

Rand47

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2019, 09:44:10 am »

Went to an event and handled the X-Pro 3 in Dura Black.  Beautiful finish.  Lovely camera.  But I came away disappointed.  I’m sure I could learn to adapt to the hidden LCD but it just seems like an “all loss and no gain” situation to me, with zero advantage in the way the LCD works.  The simulated film box end is just silly (unless your hipster quotient is very high), and when in “info mode” this small display is not very visible in even the ambient room light of the shop I was in.  Outside it was invisible for all practical purposes. 

The change in the EVF is significant “on paper” but visually a very small change from my Pro 2.  The change in the OVF is nice for glasses wearers (that’s me), but the other changes re framing lines is not good.  For the 16mm there are four little orange “corner arrows” that are not so great.  So, for me, the OVF changes are at best a “push” and in some ways a net loss compared to my Pro 2.   Before actually handling one, I had firm plans to “upgrade” to the Pro 3.  It is now, sadly, off my radar altogether.

I love Fuji and sincerely hope this camera is a success and that there “really is” a market for what it offers.  For me, it would be too many compromises to tolerate for no practical gain that is significant to warrant the expense.   I suspect that many/most of the firmware upgrades will find their way to other models with the same sensor/processor combination, so that also is not enough to compensate for the very strange design choices Fuji made.

Rand
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 09:50:05 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 09:57:22 am »

They should have a way of switching the back so you can see the display if you want and chimp.   That'll be next.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2019, 10:10:37 am »

They should have a way of switching the back so you can see the display if you want and chimp.   That'll be next.

So far, the best solution for Never Chimpers is, for instance, like Canon does:

BJL

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2019, 11:16:04 am »

So far, the best solution for Never Chimpers is, for instance, like Canon does:
Agreed; some Olympus models also have fully articulated screens that can be reversed like this, which also appeals to me for protecting the screen when not in use.

Other options include duct tape and just a modicum of will-power; I rarely review except to immediately delete obvious duds, and would not give up occasionally useful options like shooting with camera held overhead.

But to each their own priorities.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2019, 01:28:05 pm »

For some reason I didn't warm towards the articulated screens, I prefer the X-T2 type. I don't like the screen sticking on the side when you need any angle, as flexible as it may be.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up