Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fujifilm X-PRO3  (Read 4252 times)

Rob C

Re: New Fujifilm X-PRO3
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2019, 05:35:47 pm »

That's one of the nice things about an electronic viewfinder: it simplifies dealing with difficult lighting by allowing you to adjust the exposure before you snap the shutter.  I especially appreciate the physical exposure compensation dial on the top of my X-T3 because I can locate and rotate it without taking my eye away from the viewfinder.  The preview seems reasonably accurate—at least as accurate as chimping after the fact with the screen on the back of the camera, which I believe simply displays the little JPEG embedded in the raw file.  Of course, if you're attempting to optimize the exposure—i.e., to get as much light to the sensor as possible without blowing out the highlights—you still need to acquire an intuitive sense of how much latitude the sensor offers, just as you needed to know the limits of each type of film you shot with in the analog era.

But I chose autofocus as an example in my previous post advisedly.  In my experience, that's where digital camera automation is most prone to transient errors.  I probably shouldn't have allowed myself to become so dependent on it, but that's water under the bridge now.  I've tried a few times to revert to using manual focus on a regular basis, but I now find it a real burden.  The autofocus technology on the Fujis has gotten better over time, although I don't think it is yet up to the level of the last of the several generations of Nikon DSLRs I have used, a D800E.  But with rapidly- or erratically-moving subjects the D800E isn't perfect, either.  So I need the rear screen even with it.

Yeah, but don't blame yourself for your current difficulties with manual focussing: the screens don't help you one little bit! I have more manual lenses than af ones, but the main problems are the screens along with depending, because of them, on that little focus confirmation light: it destroys my concentration on the subject far too much.

Af is great, all the same, once you get used to relying on it. Having said which, I only use the central spot and none of my cameras has eye-detection etc. but for what I do, it hardly matters anymore.

Rob

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2019, 07:47:20 pm »

Last time I went to a live baseball game, I kept waiting for the instant replays you'd see at home on the TV.  It drove me crazy until I learned to relax about it. 

armand

• Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2019, 09:17:44 pm »

I am perfectly entitled to an opinion on a camera wether I am planning on buying it or not. It is part of my work to keep abreast of new developments and making that a habit is one of the reasons I am still a very busy photographer at almost 60. I have owned a Fuji digital camera and a number of lenses.  I may buy another one at some point. I am a bit mystified by the positioning of the lcd on this camera and if anyone has anything interesting to say on the matter I would like to hear it. Perhaps I have overlooked or misunderstood something. Saying this conjecture is meaningless because I wasn’t planning on buying the camera is in itself an entirely meaningless statement and comes across as defensive and not much else.

Of course you are. But this camera is not for you. If you expect every camera to fit what you desire in a camera I suspect there won’t be much difference between them.
If none or few of the Fuji (or any manufacturer) lines would fit what you want, sure, I think you would have a valid point. But this is one line only; there are the X-T3, X-E3, X-H1. Plenty others to choose from. I have many Fuji lenses and cameras and I think this camera is for a particular type of photographer to which I don’t belong but I don’t lose much sleep over me not belonging.

BJL

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2019, 10:35:28 pm »

It seems very unlikely that Fuji would design the camera to prevent an urban legend.
Fujifilm has offered exactly “no chimping” as an explanation, according to DPReview at https://m.dpreview.com/news/7641028419/fujifilm-teases-development-of-x-pro3-with-titanium-body-mini-rear-lcd-hidden-display-and-more

But maybe that is just spin to cover another motive, like the aggressively retro look with fake film box end on a tiny LCD. For my tastes, the X cameras are way too retro, but if that quirk improves the viability of a system with many other virtues, then “de gustibus non est disputandum”
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:58:40 pm by BJL »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 02:13:55 am »

Of course you are. But this camera is not for you. If you expect every camera to fit what you desire in a camera I suspect there won’t be much difference between them.
If none or few of the Fuji (or any manufacturer) lines would fit what you want, sure, I think you would have a valid point. But this is one line only; there are the X-T3, X-E3, X-H1. Plenty others to choose from. I have many Fuji lenses and cameras and I think this camera is for a particular type of photographer to which I don’t belong but I don’t lose much sleep over me not belonging.

When I think about it I realise what annoys me about this camera. I realise it’s my own take on it and my own interpretation but that’s how it goes.

I have admired the Fuji range of cameras for years. Fine equipment. Lovely lenses. But this camera strikes me as gimmicky. The little screen that looks like the holder we had on SLR’s for the end of the film box to remind us what film we had in the camera. The film emulations done in camera. It strikes me as hipster stuff(are hipsters still a thing?).

I do quite a lot of street photography. For my own pleasure pretty much. I have no issue buying a dedicated camera for this purpose. I haven’t quite settled on a camera yet for street and sometimes use my A9 with an old 28mm Minolta lens and sometimes with a new Sony 28mm prime. Sometimes I use my RX10iv and have considered upgrading to the new vii. I sometimes use an older Nikon A1 I think it is, the underwater version. I won’t put this Fuji on my list. I think it’s trying too hard. I don’t need to be reminded of my film days. I shot film for 20 years and remember it well. I don’t suffer from nostalgia.

I certainly won’t judge anyone who buys it. I’m sure many fine photographers will take many fine images with it. All I’m saying is it’s not for me. I don’t like the design philosophy. Doesn’t suit me.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

rdonson

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 10:31:51 am »

Classic street photogs haven't been chimpers.....

hard to do with film  ;D
Regards,
Ron

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 10:42:34 am »

An interesting thought: considering the fact that digital cameras all become so out of date so rapidly, why would anyone make one from titanium, other than to raise the costs?

Rob

rdonson

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 10:59:29 am »

Weight???
Regards,
Ron

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2019, 05:43:13 am »

The little screen that looks like the holder we had on SLR’s for the end of the film box to remind us what film we had in the camera. The film emulations done in camera. It strikes me as hipster stuff(are hipsters still a thing?).

There are other types of information that can be displayed there. It basically functions as the top screen on the X-H1.

jwlimages

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2019, 12:17:30 pm »

I could live with the re-arrangement of the LCD viewer, especially if the EFV & OVF are improved. But I have been hoping for years that Fuji would add GPS capability. Street shooting with my X-Pro 2 is great, and I would love to make the new version my travel camera. But GPS data has become such a valuable tool, especially with international travel. So I guess I'll need to keep lugging my 5D Mk IV around...

John

armand

• Photos
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2019, 03:31:45 pm »

An interesting thought: considering the fact that digital cameras all become so out of date so rapidly, why would anyone make one from titanium, other than to raise the costs?

Rob

I'm thinking bragging rights more than anything but I could be wrong

John Camp

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2019, 04:28:38 pm »

Rob

I suspect that era of rapid obsolescence is coming to an end. There may be a few sharpness fanatics who want more and more of it, but for street shooting? I think the Fuji would probably serve you well for years. It's not my kind of camera, but from what I've read, it's very, very good.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2019, 04:35:41 pm »

Street looks better unsharp.  It's about the people, the story they're telling. 

hogloff

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2019, 04:50:44 pm »

Street looks better unsharp.  It's about the people, the story they're telling.

Depending on the environment, I quite often add a bit of glow to my street images to give them a more old time look. Sharpness has it's place...but like everything else, overused and it takes away from the image.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2019, 05:55:55 pm »

I have been hoping for years that Fuji would add GPS capability. Street shooting with my X-Pro 2 is great, and I would love to make the new version my travel camera.

I think the issue that has held Fuji back is power.  The current batteries used by the X-Trans cameras can't even survive a day of active shooting, and powering a GPS would tax them even more.

As a workaround, I've been using a dedicated GPS, a Bad Elf GPS Pro+, for a couple of years now.  Pricey, but it's extremely accurate and remarkably quick to achieve a satellite lock (it utilizes both the U.S. and Russian systems), a single charge is good for a full day, and it works with any camera I am using.  There is plenty of competition at lower price-points, and I suspect many of the less expensive devices work as well or better than the GPS receivers built-into or attachable-to some cameras.

This approach isn't perfect because you need to sync the geotags with the image files in post.  Adobe Lightroom makes this very easy; I don't know about other image-management software.

Actually, the biggest problem I've had is that I sometimes forget to put it in my pocket.  My cellphone serves as a somewhat less accurate back-up.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2019, 05:59:07 pm »

Why do you need exact GPS locations for all your shots? 

SrMi

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:50 pm »

I think the issue that has held Fuji back is power.  The current batteries used by the X-Trans cameras can't even survive a day of active shooting, and powering a GPS would tax them even more.

As a workaround, I've been using a dedicated GPS, a Bad Elf GPS Pro+, for a couple of years now.  Pricey, but it's extremely accurate and remarkably quick to achieve a satellite lock (it utilizes both the U.S. and Russian systems), a single charge is good for a full day, and it works with any camera I am using.  There is plenty of competition at lower price-points, and I suspect many of the less expensive devices work as well or better than the GPS receivers built-into or attachable-to some cameras.

This approach isn't perfect because you need to sync the geotags with the image files in post.  Adobe Lightroom makes this very easy; I don't know about other image-management software.

Actually, the biggest problem I've had is that I sometimes forget to put it in my pocket.  My cellphone serves as a somewhat less accurate back-up.

I have not noticed a significantly increased battery drain caused by GPS in my mirrorless cameras. The EVF and LCD typically use considerably more power.
The 'less accurate' location of a cellphone is often good enough for me, therefore my Bad Elf is staying in the drawer. BTW, later iPhones are using GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2019, 08:55:02 pm »

I have not noticed a significantly increased battery drain caused by GPS in my mirrorless cameras. The EVF and LCD typically use considerably more power.
The 'less accurate' location of a cellphone is often good enough for me, therefore my Bad Elf is staying in the drawer. BTW, later iPhones are using GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS.

My wife thinks her directions are the best.   :-\

jwlimages

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2019, 12:11:33 pm »

Why do you need exact GPS locations for all your shots? 

It helps a lot with accurate captioning, and even identifying subjects. Whether it's a particular temple in Kyoto, a neighborhood in Vienna, or a location within a national park in Utah. During a day running around shooting, there is just no way I can write down notes for every exposure, so it's great to be able to unearth that data after the fact. And I really like the ability of the camera to embed it into the EXIF data - when street shooting, e.g., I don't want yet another accessory to keep track of, have extra batteries for, etc.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2019, 07:09:48 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up