Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fujifilm X-PRO3  (Read 4223 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
New Fujifilm X-PRO3
« on: September 24, 2019, 10:02:17 am »

Any comments on the new features being introduced in the third version of this iconic camera? I like the way they were bold and made it more difficult/purposeful touse the rear screen, plus it will be made of titanium. An improved EVF is also in the list of updates.

Alex W

Re: New Fujifilm X-PRO3
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 10:11:29 am »

I adore my Titanium camera (OM4Ti) but film cameras don't have issues with heat and I think that's the main concern here. That being said the X-Pro 3 isn't primary for video shooters.

I think the hidden screen is probably a hindrance for most shooters, definitely for video use.While 90% of the time I use EVF cameras with a fully articulating screen I have it in the reverse "closed" position, the other 10% is used for showing images, changing settings and live view. This will not be comfortable with the new design.

I use the D-Pad on Fuji cameras to change AF and exposure settings on the fly. Removing it (on an already sparse camera) provides no benefit at all.

The small screen for presets and exposure settings is kind of cool.

I'm really excited about the upgraded OVF - if it approaches Leica in quality I'll probably purchase the camera regardless of other niggles as the options for an AF rangefinder are extremely limited. Hopefully they leapfrog the X100F, which I actually prefer to the X-Pro 2 finder wise.

I wish Fuji would accept that X-Trans, on balance, provides little to no benefit and is a headache for many.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 12:02:19 pm »

I always wondered why is “chimping,” ie, the ability to check the image you just took, viewed in such derogatory terms?

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:43:59 pm »

I always wondered why is “chimping,” ie, the ability to check the image you just took, viewed in such derogatory terms?

I've heard two explanations, neither of which strikes me as very persuasive:
  • Taking time to review what you have just shot is a distraction that interrupts your effort to visualize the next image.
  • If you know what you are doing, you shouldn't have to chimp to determine whether you nailed the shot.
The second rationale strikes me as especially bogus because unless you are operating the camera in full manual mode, chimping may be the only way to discover that the firmware has done something dodgy—e.g., botched autofocus—while you still have an opportunity to try the shot again.

On the other hand, depending on how good the electronic viewfinder is in the X-Pro3, using it to review an image may be as effective as looking at a back panel, especially in bright sunlight.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 06:53:59 pm »

I wish Fuji would accept that X-Trans, on balance, provides little to no benefit and is a headache for many.

I respectfully disagree.  I’m very happy with X-Trans. It’s no headache for me or many of my friends using X-Trans.  It’s taken Adobe quite a while to actually do a reasonable job of demosaicing X-Trans though. For the best results I add an extra step with Iridient X-Transformer.  I find the additional detail from X-Transformer quite worth it for a number of images.  Depending on the image that step may not be necessary though.  Yes, I am an Adobe Lr and PS user. FWIW I was a Canon SLR/DSLR shooter for over 40 years. 
Regards,
Ron

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 12:43:24 am »

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 10:32:09 am »

:D
Regards,
Ron

John Camp

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 11:22:23 am »

It's not the practice of checking your image that was used in a derogatory sense, it was the photographer's reaction to his images. I was told at the time the term was invented, back in the early days of digital, that it came from a photographer quickly paging through his images while looking at the screen, and making "Ooo, ooo, ooo," chimp-like noises in appreciation of his own work. Everybody checked images, only some people "chimped." 8-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 12:21:10 pm »

It's not the practice of checking your image that was used in a derogatory sense, it was the photographer's reaction to his images. I was told at the time the term was invented, back in the early days of digital, that it came from a photographer quickly paging through his images while looking at the screen, and making "Ooo, ooo, ooo," chimp-like noises in appreciation of his own work. Everybody checked images, only some people "chimped." 8-)

I knew that. But it doesn’t make sense for a camera manufacturer to deliberately design it to prevent an urban legend, depriving the majority of its legitimate use. I would never buy a camera with such a passive-agressive attitude.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 02:56:58 pm »

It seems very unlikely that Fuji would design the camera to prevent an urban legend. 
Regards,
Ron

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 04:18:24 pm »

It seems very unlikely that Fuji would design the camera to prevent an urban legend. 

And yet they did. Unless you have an alternative explanation?

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 05:05:19 pm »

My guess would be they did it for a very different reason.  I don’t yet have a real idea who the potential buyers might be or in which country they may reside. I may live in the US but not everything revolves around the US.
Regards,
Ron

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 01:11:23 am »

I read a review plat SLR lounge I think it was. There story they say they got from Fuji is that the lcd was hidden to to encourage photographers to keep looking through the viewfinder and not spend too much time looking at the back of the camera. If they are reporting that accurately it seems weird to me.

I don’t chimp very often and when I do these days I go to the EVF rather but not everyone works that way. Why force photographers to not chimp if they wish to do so? I Lao use my lcd as a touch pad to move the focus point around and also have it set up to show info I don’t want in my viewfinder. I don’t even have it set up to show an image but it’s still very useful for other stuff.

I’m sure it will suit some people but for me I would not be attracted by that feature. It’s trying too hard to be a thing. Reminds me a bit of that Yashika I think it is that needs a little fake film canister to change picture styles. What’s next? A fake film advance lever you must use before taking the next photo? How about a little knob you must wind back 45 times before removing the SD card. Make you think about how many photos you are taking. That would give an authentic experience I think.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 03:36:05 am »

I don't mind the new LCd screen, as I don't use it often for viewing/composing. As a street and reportage camera for pros, with a better OVF and EVF, the resort to LCD would be less now?

If you simply want to review photos later on or go into the menu, the new screen is fine. I also think the XPRO is really not targeted at tripod users, so no harm there.

For shooting from the hip while looking down, it is fine.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 10:57:56 am »

What if you're shooting verticals from the hip?

Personally I think all photographic cameras without exception lacking an articulated screen for both orientations are flawed.

Including my Sony a7R3.

For shooting from the hip while looking down, it is fine.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 02:26:12 pm »

None of this means anything unless you were considering buying the unreleased X-PRO3 anyway.

Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 10:19:19 am »

None of this means anything unless you were considering buying the unreleased X-PRO3 anyway.

Exactly!

I think there is a trend that most vocal opponents of a newly released product were not planning on buying it anyway.
I know I'm not, but that's why there is the X-T3 or the X-E3 for the form factor.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2019, 10:35:02 am »

I am perfectly entitled to an opinion on a camera wether I am planning on buying it or not. It is part of my work to keep abreast of new developments and making that a habit is one of the reasons I am still a very busy photographer at almost 60. I have owned a Fuji digital camera and a number of lenses.  I may buy another one at some point. I am a bit mystified by the positioning of the lcd on this camera and if anyone has anything interesting to say on the matter I would like to hear it. Perhaps I have overlooked or misunderstood something. Saying this conjecture is meaningless because I wasn’t planning on buying the camera is in itself an entirely meaningless statement and comes across as defensive and not much else.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 11:02:05 am »

I've heard two explanations, neither of which strikes me as very persuasive:
  • Taking time to review what you have just shot is a distraction that interrupts your effort to visualize the next image.
  • If you know what you are doing, you shouldn't have to chimp to determine whether you nailed the shot.
The second rationale strikes me as especially bogus because unless you are operating the camera in full manual mode, chimping may be the only way to discover that the firmware has done something dodgy—e.g., botched autofocus—while you still have an opportunity to try the shot again.

On the other hand, depending on how good the electronic viewfinder is in the X-Pro3, using it to review an image may be as effective as looking at a back panel, especially in bright sunlight.

Hmm... the only time I chimp is when I am faced with serious backlighting situations.

Yes, you do have to know something about how exposure works to do it (not chimp) with confidence, but hey, coming from film, it's a no-brainer.

There are many film photographers who claim never to use a meter; I have no idea if those same guys do their own developing and printing. If they did, they would soon learn that the eye is not terribly reliable. When I shot b/w film I would meter the set-up, and once I had that nailed, never look at the meter again unless I had to change something for some reason. With transparencies, I always used a meter to set the thing up, as above, but frequently checked to make sure the sun hadn't clouded over to a tiny degree that could go unnoticed. Colour trannie was far more vulnerable to light modification than was black/white film.

I had a Polaroid back for my Hassy pair but doubt that I pulled more than a dozen shots in all the many years I owned those lovely machines.

With digital, I have the Nikon on Matrix metering, and for anything that, as I explained when I came in, does not have extremes of backlighting, the thing is perfectly accurate enough for anything I have had to do.

In the case of that exteme backlight, I go off automatic metering, and once I have chimped the situation to my taste, don't use it again until in another lighting situation when, usually, it's back to Matrix. Otherwise, by the way, the camera is almost always on auto ISO, the most convenient aid of them all. With aperture (mainly) being the more important factor for me, shutter set to whatever I think the task needs, ISO can go where the science tells it to go as long as it isn't too high for my needs, which it is normally not. Actually, the greater problem I face is that sensors are too sensitive, and I hate using ND filters, even though I have a variable one.

P.S.

Just struck me: looking at making-of videos, one often sees as assistant darting into shot and checking something again with a meter. That's in the really big-time world... so meters are not obsolete quite yet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:34:01 pm by Rob C »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »

Hmm... the only time I chimp is when I am faced with serious backlighting situations.

That's one of the nice things about an electronic viewfinder: it simplifies dealing with difficult lighting by allowing you to adjust the exposure before you snap the shutter.  I especially appreciate the physical exposure compensation dial on the top of my X-T3 because I can locate and rotate it without taking my eye away from the viewfinder.  The preview seems reasonably accurate—at least as accurate as chimping after the fact with the screen on the back of the camera, which I believe simply displays the little JPEG embedded in the raw file.  Of course, if you're attempting to optimize the exposure—i.e., to get as much light to the sensor as possible without blowing out the highlights—you still need to acquire an intuitive sense of how much latitude the sensor offers, just as you needed to know the limits of each type of film you shot with in the analog era.

But I chose autofocus as an example in my previous post advisedly.  In my experience, that's where digital camera automation is most prone to transient errors.  I probably shouldn't have allowed myself to become so dependent on it, but that's water under the bridge now.  I've tried a few times to revert to using manual focus on a regular basis, but I now find it a real burden.  The autofocus technology on the Fujis has gotten better over time, although I don't think it is yet up to the level of the last of the several generations of Nikon DSLRs I have used, a D800E.  But with rapidly- or erratically-moving subjects the D800E isn't perfect, either.  So I need the rear screen even with it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up