Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to ignore/hide someone's forum posts?  (Read 3115 times)

dreed

Is it possible to ignore/hide someone's forum posts?
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:54:51 am »

For the first time on here I find myself wanting to completely ignore a poster on these forums. I tried adding them to my "Ignore List" but that didn't seem to do the trick.

Is there some other way to completely remove a forum poster's posts from my viewing? That includes posts that they've made plus their text when they get quoted in replies.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Is it possible to ignore/hide someone's forum posts?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 12:54:16 pm »

For the first time on here I find myself wanting to completely ignore a poster on these forums. I tried adding them to my "Ignore List" but that didn't seem to do the trick.

Is there some other way to completely remove a forum poster's posts from my viewing? That includes posts that they've made plus their text when they get quoted in replies.

Not as far as I am aware, and I suspect not at all. It would be remarkably difficult, probably impossible, to achieve, given the ease with which quoted text can be edited.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:13:30 pm »

I love you too ;) :-*

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:05:56 pm »

I love you too ;) :-*

Don't assume it has to be you, Slobodan.

The question, then, becomes: what is the point of having the non-working Ignore function in the toolbox? Is it just fake function, which at least makes a change from fake you know what?

Two questions for the price of one!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:39:05 pm »

Don't assume it has to be you, Slobodan.

The question, then, becomes: what is the point of having the non-working Ignore function in the toolbox? Is it just fake function, which at least makes a change from fake you know what?

Oh, I know it is me. See the Concorde thread.

Not sure what you mean by "non-working" Ignore button? It works as designed, that is, hides the original post by the ignored poster. What it doesn't do is hide the quoted text.

Chris Batt

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 04:08:29 pm »

It is correct to say that the Ignore setting works as designed. It omits notifications about certain posters, but does not show a conveniently sanitized forum devoid of certain peoples' influence. It would be weird to see no posting or quotation of something that several other posters were conversing back and forth about, would it not?

Best,

Chris
Webmaster, The Luminous Landscape

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 05:15:29 pm »

Oh, I know it is me. See the Concorde thread.

Not sure what you mean by "non-working" Ignore button? It works as designed, that is, hides the original post by the ignored poster. What it doesn't do is hide the quoted text.

It doesn't work like that for me at all. The guy's own, complete posts are all visible to me, and the only way I can ignore them is by personally skipping right past them on my own, as I now do. So what, exactly, has the Ignore function achieved for me? It has made absolutely no difference at all: the bullshit is still plainly visible in all its glory and mindbending madness. I am not referring to quoted passages, but to the whole enchilada. My expectation - and hope - was that if on an Ignore list, no further posts from that person would appear on my screen. Great expectations.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 05:24:43 pm »

It is correct to say that the Ignore setting works as designed. It omits notifications about certain posters, but does not show a conveniently sanitized forum devoid of certain peoples' influence. It would be weird to see no posting or quotation of something that several other posters were conversing back and forth about, would it not?

Best,

Chris

Are you saying, then, that all I can do is "hide" a specific post, but not a particular poster? It would not be in the least bit odd not knowing or wanting to know anything about such conversations as you cite: that is exactly why one would put an individual on an ignore list: to avoid any further direct contact with him or with anything he has to contribute. I would be positively delighted to remain in the dark about any of his future posts.

Rob

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 05:58:07 pm »

Another forum I subscribe to has this function.  It's a V-Bulletin site.
It notifies you that "you can't view this response because XYZ is on your ignore list"
You still see the blank entry for the response and its owner, but not the data within.

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 05:59:49 pm »

It doesn't work like that for me at all. The guy's own, complete posts are all visible to me, and the only way I can ignore them is by personally skipping right past them on my own, as I now do.

If it’s not working , try logging out and back in again, once you’ve edited the ignore list.

As long as you spell the posters name correctly, his posts will be hidden but the reply#/holder is still there, blank (or more precisely with a simple message “You are hiding this user “).  The poster’s name/avatar will always be visible in the left hand column.

Hiding posts does NOT work on the ‘Recent Posts’ pages.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 06:23:45 pm »

Rob, is this what you were doing (you have to click on the Edit Ignore List, and then add the member name):

dreed

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 09:13:08 pm »

That is how the "ignore" feature works on other web sites that run forums. Yes it can mean that you don't see the full context of some discussions. Yes that can be lived with.

It may also "help" this website by- giving people the ability to block other posters content may (I stress may) lead to fewer flame fests and so on.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:16:22 pm by dreed »

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 04:03:22 am »

Rob, is this what you were doing (you have to click on the Edit Ignore List, and then add the member name):

Yes Slobodan, exactly as you had already outlined.

I have just done it all again, and all the offender's posts remain. I shall see what happens next time he posts, and whether I get the empty box with the explanatory message as to its emptiness.

Thanks again -

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 04:06:30 am »

That is how the "ignore" feature works on other web sites that run forums. Yes it can mean that you don't see the full context of some discussions. Yes that can be lived with.

It may also "help" this website by- giving people the ability to block other posters content may (I stress may) lead to fewer flame fests and so on.

That's a very good point!

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 06:45:26 am »

You also have to go to "Look and Layout" and click the option to hide posts from folk on your Ignore list.  What sense that makes, I don't know - tripped me up too :-(

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 08:40:39 am »

You also have to go to "Look and Layout" and click the option to hide posts from folk on your Ignore list.  What sense that makes, I don't know - tripped me up too :-(

Thank you, thank you thank you!

Job done - peace of mind regained! Also, regained desire to revisit all of LuLa!

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 09:53:18 am »

Ah! I didn’t test that step, as I don’t have anyone on the ignore list. Thanks.

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 05:32:20 pm »

Ah! I didn’t test that step, as I don’t have anyone on the ignore list. Thanks.

I only have one, which is where I hope it stops!

I don't have a problem with folks who disagree with me - they may well be better informed than I - but I can't stand folks who never learn from what they are told and shown, and just keep reverting back to the same old discredited points as if the factual errors had never been revealed. That just becomes an annoying frustration.

;-)

jeremyrh

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 06:17:32 am »

I only have one, which is where I hope it stops!

I don't have a problem with folks who disagree with me - they may well be better informed than I - but I can't stand folks who never learn from what they are told and shown, and just keep reverting back to the same old discredited points as if the factual errors had never been revealed. That just becomes an annoying frustration.

;-)

Can't think of anyone who fits that description :-)

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 06:20:08 am »

Can't think of anyone who fits that description :-)

Obviously not; this is LuLa. However, as my wife used to say: just in case!

;-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up