Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPHONE 11 wide angle lens confusion  (Read 1233 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
IPHONE 11 wide angle lens confusion
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:51:38 pm »

Not all of the cameras are made equal though. In addition to not having optical image stabilization, it’s been revealed the ultra-wide camera unit on all three models isn’t yet capable of capturing Raw image data or manual focus, unlike the wide-angle camera (and telephoto camera on the iPhone 11 Pro models).

It looks like the ultra wide angle camera doesn’t support RAW, or manual focus. 😢 pic.twitter.com/dczJ9T0WEV
    — Ben Sandofsky (@sandofsky) September 21, 2019

In the article above, I am confused about the Wide angle lense and raw capture.  It is not clear to me which models have raw capability.  Which models do not?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: IPHONE 11 wide angle lens confusion
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 09:20:39 pm »

I am confused about the Wide angle lense and raw capture.  It is not clear to me which models have raw capability.  Which models do not?

The standard a.k.a. "wide" (26mm-equivalent) lens/sensor on all iPhone 11 models supports raw capture on iOS 13.  The "ultrawide" (13mm-equivalent) and "telephoto" (52mm-equivalent) ones do not—at least, not yet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:24:57 pm by Chris Kern »

SrMi

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 09:26:17 pm »

Not all of the cameras are made equal though. In addition to not having optical image stabilization, it’s been revealed the ultra-wide camera unit on all three models isn’t yet capable of capturing Raw image data or manual focus, unlike the wide-angle camera (and telephoto camera on the iPhone 11 Pro models).

It looks like the ultra wide angle camera doesn’t support RAW, or manual focus. 😢 pic.twitter.com/dczJ9T0WEV
    — Ben Sandofsky (@sandofsky) September 21, 2019

In the article above, I am confused about the Wide angle lense and raw capture.  It is not clear to me which models have raw capability.  Which models do not?

MDIJB

iPhone 11-s have the ultrawide and wide-angle lens. The 11 Pro-s have also the standard angle lens (50mm is not a tele lens in my book).
All ultra-wide lenses/sensors cannot store raw files apparently, do not support the night mode and do not have the image stabilization. It is speculated that ultra-wide needs to have a lot of distortion control applied so that raw file makes not much sense at the moment.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 10:03:18 pm »

So this means I will have to shoot in JPG only to be able to take advantage of all three lenses?  Probable not so bad since the image quality of the JPG files this camera produces are very good.  IS that correct?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 10:18:00 pm »

Recent iPhone JPEGs are better than what you can do with raw.

Manoli

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 03:58:26 am »

The standard a.k.a. "wide" (26mm-equivalent) lens/sensor on all iPhone 11 models supports raw capture on iOS 13.  The "ultrawide" (13mm-equivalent) and "telephoto" (52mm-equivalent) ones do not—at least, not yet.

That may well be inaccurate. See this thread :
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=130466.msg1109285#msg1109285
Pages: [1]   Go Up