Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Low Res files from 4k Pro Res in Bulk  (Read 966 times)

Chris L

Creating Low Res files from 4k Pro Res in Bulk
« on: September 20, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »

I have 3 TB of Footage shot mostly with Ursa Mini in Pro Res HQ, and then some 5D Mk IV 4K Motion Jpeg, and some DJI Mavic Pro 2 4k on a HD that I wish to convert to something easy for another person to view on a Mac that cannot handle 4k. I need files that are just for viewing and somehow still retain the original file name. Typically I use FCPx but I am guessing there is an easier software I can use for this. The files are on a single HD but are structured in about 75 sub folders. Not sure if it matters but I am on a mid 2010 Mac Pro that can tolerate 4K files but is very sluggish to work with, this is the machine the files will be originating from and then the other person is on a relatively modern Mac Laptop of some sort. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe Towner

Re: Creating Low Res files from 4k Pro Res in Bulk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:24:06 pm »

Wouldn't you just create proxy files for it all?  https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12702?locale=en_US
t: @PNWMF

Chris L

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 11:05:29 am »

Wouldn't you just create proxy files for it all?  https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12702?locale=en_US

Thanks but I am relatively new to video editing. If I create proxy files can they end up in another folder and then be opened by another person without FCPx? So they could just double click on a file and be opened up in quick time?

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 02:46:51 pm »

Thanks but I am relatively new to video editing. If I create proxy files can they end up in another folder and then be opened by another person without FCPx? So they could just double click on a file and be opened up in quick time?

Yes. By default, FCPx created ProRes Proxy Quicktime files. Those will play on any Mac. (Not so sure a thing on a PC.) you can copy those files to an external drive and hand it off. Pick a fast drive, not the cheapest you can find.

I’m not a FCP user, so I can’t tell you whether it makes 1080p proxies or keeps them in 4K. I would think that should be something you can choose in preferences. In addition to being able to hand the files off to a less robust computer, if you’re editing the project and your machine is struggling at all with the 4K files, it will help your editing experience a great deal to generate proxies—1080 proxies will make your editing system an order of magnitude more responsive.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Chris L

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:40 pm »

Yes. By default, FCPx created ProRes Proxy Quicktime files. Those will play on any Mac. (Not so sure a thing on a PC.) you can copy those files to an external drive and hand it off. Pick a fast drive, not the cheapest you can find.

I’m not a FCP user, so I can’t tell you whether it makes 1080p proxies or keeps them in 4K. I would think that should be something you can choose in preferences. In addition to being able to hand the files off to a less robust computer, if you’re editing the project and your machine is struggling at all with the 4K files, it will help your editing experience a great deal to generate proxies—1080 proxies will make your editing system an order of magnitude more responsive.

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up