Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D II plus one XCD lens.......which lens  (Read 2223 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Hasselblad X1D II plus one XCD lens.......which lens
« on: September 18, 2019, 08:51:22 pm »

I'm hopefully getting a new X1D 50 II along with one lens. I am hopefully getting it before the end of the month as we have the Phuket Vegetarian Festival starting then. I have initially asked for the 80mm f1.9 as I will need a fast lens but my concern is that it will be to long to take pictures like these taken with a 50mm Noctilux last year.

After the festival it will be my general walk about camera, until I start adding more lenses.
So my question to the gang is what do you guys think of the XCD 80mm f1.9 lens for some action photography...........not necessary fast action but lots of stuff going on.
Neil

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Hasselblad X1D II plus one XCD lens.......which lens
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 10:01:13 pm »

I would certainly get the 45mm because of the special offer at the moment.
I you get it and don't like it then I need one.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »

I would certainly get the 45mm because of the special offer at the moment.
I you get it and don't like it then I need one.
The XCD45mm gets bad reviews on B&H so I will give that lens a miss

SrMi

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 11:02:39 pm »

XCD 45mm is an excellent lens. See Sean Reid's review (reidreviews.com) of the lens for a more in-depth analysis than B&H reviews.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 11:18:29 pm »

Interested in your comment so I just went and checked them.
There are only 7 reviews. Only two are by verified owners and they were favourable. Everyone commented that it was sharp.

Two reviews were identical by the same guy.

One guy said that the shutter speed on exposures of several seconds was not the same as the e shutter when compared. Well shutter speed is controlled by camera, not the lens. I don't know how accurate the e-shutter is on long exposures either. I don't think that it is really designed for that.

Another guy made the comment that it was in focus at one point on full aperture but when he moved the focus one step it was out of focus. Yep.

At the end of the day it is by far the cheapest lens and even cheaper at the moment. If you can afford a better lens then go for it. A super sharp lens trumps most other things though.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 05:32:57 pm »

Given your interest in the Hasselblad XCD 80mm f/1.9 and B&H "reviews" for evaluating lenses, there is, so far, only one B&H "review" of the XCD 80mm. By Natasha: "Great for cat photos! So far I got an amazing photo of the box it came in and my only plan for this lens is to shoot my cat! Money well spent!"

A more thorough review can be found here.  https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/hasselblad-80mm-f19-hands-on-impressions/

You may also wish to consider looking at the MTF charts for the XCD 80mm which are so outstanding that it's hard to decide on the right adjective. https://cdn.hasselblad.com/datasheets/xcd-lenses/XCD80-Datasheet-en.pdf

Some YouTube reviews of the XCD 80mm f/1.9

Hasselblad XCD 1,9/80 - The Creamy Bokeh Machine

The BEST LENS money can buy - Hasselblad 80mm f/1.9

New Hasselblad XCD 80mm f/1.9: First Images

The Hasselblad XCD 80mm f/1.9 Lens with the X1D. I have it!

Of course theirs nothing like your own experience. A dealer can arrange a demo as can Hasselblad. Just click the "Request A Demo" button in the link below. You can also rent one to try for yourself.

https://www.hasselblad.com/x-system-lenses/xcd-19-80mm/

https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/hasselblad-xcd-80mm-f1.9

Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

pflower

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 02:14:45 pm »

That's a hugely personal question that only you can answer.  And I would say that your decision should be based upon what focal length you will make the most of.  Not upon any quick two line remarks on websites - because from what I can tell all the XCD lenses are technically excellent.

But if it helps you in any way....

I bought the X1D plus 45mm when it first came out.  I have used it as a walkabout, street camera in Cambodia, Sri Lanka, London, Calcutta, Krakow, France and at home in the country - also on a tripod for landscape and architectural images.  The 45mm field of view suits me perfectly and as regards the quality of the lens it seems to me to be as sharp and contrasty as anyone could want.  I can't think of a single image made over the past 2 1/2 years with it that I could criticise in terms of image quality (and we are talking in excess of 10k).

I also have the HCD 80mm plus the adapter.  But that is simply not a focal length that does anything for me with the size of the X1D sensor.  I can see that it is useful for portraits but that is not my major area of interest. I use it very seldom.

I personally cannot imagine restricting myself to either the 80mm or 90mm as my only lens but that is because I do not see or photograph that way.  I did borrow a 90mm and it is a very nice lens, reasonably compact but it is just not my focal length.   In fact after some deliberation I decided to buy the 21mm rather than the 30mm.  So I prefer wide angles. You on the other hand may find that you are wholly satisfied with the ultra fast 80mm or the 90mm. 

But it is a personal decision based upon what you want to photograph.

However whatever you choose I suspect you will be very happy with the X1D and whatever lens you decide upon.

Good luck.

I'm hopefully getting a new X1D 50 II along with one lens. I am hopefully getting it before the end of the month as we have the Phuket Vegetarian Festival starting then. I have initially asked for the 80mm f1.9 as I will need a fast lens but my concern is that it will be to long to take pictures like these taken with a 50mm Noctilux last year.

After the festival it will be my general walk about camera, until I start adding more lenses.
So my question to the gang is what do you guys think of the XCD 80mm f1.9 lens for some action photography...........not necessary fast action but lots of stuff going on.
Neil

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 10:19:40 am »

Neil, if the photo accurately describes your general interests, you may be better off getting a Nikon and a 200mm Medical-Nikkor plus an optional airsickness bag:

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/special/250medical.htm

;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up