Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fred Herzog 1930-2019  (Read 453 times)

Larry451

Fred Herzog 1930-2019
« on: September 12, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »

A   German/Canadian photographer(Vancouver, British Columbia) who passed away on the same day as Robert Frank (Cape Breton, Nova Scotia)  Fred Herzog worked in colour (Kodachrome slides) and until recently his work was little known.   A street photographer working with composition and a subtle vision.    Books, Fred Herzog color and Fred Herzog Vancouver.  R I P .

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Fred Herzog 1930-2019
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 05:50:03 pm »

I just discovered Herzog's work today, thanks to a weblog entry by Mike Johnston.  The Vancouver Sun published an obituary and you can see small images of a large selection of his work on the website of the Equinox Gallery.

Great early use of color for cityscapes and street photographs.  As a frequent visitor to Vancouver for many years, I was especially pleased by the way he documented the city's downtown peninsula before its gritty West Coast character was replaced with block after block of glossy high-rise Asia-inspired skyscrapers.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 11:21:55 pm »

RIP, Fred.  Mr. Herzog did a superb job of documenting street life in my home town during my formative photographic years, inspiring me to try street photography myself.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 04:42:26 am »

I hadn't heard of him - the name, to me, was about motion.

Thanks for the links, which provided an interesting visual interlude, and thoughts about how different the Americas to Europe.

R.I.P.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up