Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D850 or Hasselblad H3D-31  (Read 1097 times)

poiram

Nikon D850 or Hasselblad H3D-31
« on: September 09, 2019, 04:32:46 pm »

i know that they are 2 differents thing, but I am lookking to get either one. First, I am into Nikon, got already a D800 and a D4S wich is my prefered body by far. I mostly do nature and wildlife. I consider myself as an advance amateur and I have graduated In photography from the Academy of Art of Montreal (wich no longuer exist). For many reson, I have not done a career in photography.

So my question is, for about the same price now, I can either get a used Nikon D850 or a Blad H3D with a good digital back. I am full equiped with Nikon lens since my Nikon F with old or recent lens. I plan to do mostly portrait and nature landscape with the chosen body.  The thing is yes the D850 is an exceptionnal body, but the Blad is in an other category with deeper IQ, deeper colors. I have worked with 4x5 cameras at the time. So I don’t mind the restrictions of the Blad. I am aware.

Give me your thinking

Thanks

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Nikon D850 or Hasselblad H3D-31
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 05:08:52 pm »

Lenses for the Nikon: Many to choose and nearly unlimited.

Lenses for the H'Blad: Limited selection and supply.

If you can work with just a few lenses and have the budget and image quality needs to be maximized, maybe the H'Blad.

However, for my work, I need a reasonable selection of lenses and bodies I can afford...

Also, don't forget the hidden tax of digital and upgrades...new software, new media cards, batteries and chargers, hardware upgrades, learning the new tools and software...

If you like your Nikon system and have a variety of lenses, I'd stay with the D850. For sure more bang for the buck and you already know how to use it
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 05:56:52 pm »

i know that they are 2 differents thing, but I am lookking to get either one. First, I am into Nikon, got already a D800 and a D4S wich is my prefered body by far. I mostly do nature and wildlife.
Give me your thinking

Thanks
If you do mainly nature and wildlife why would you want a Hasselblad?
I have a Hasselblad and have used them for years and Hasselblad is fabulous for studio and landscapes. (I take nature not to mean landscapes.)
What is wrong with your existing Nikon? That may answer it.
If you want better colour then Hasselblad is the answer though.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

poiram

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 06:51:42 pm »

Like I said I want to do portraits and landscape, not wildlife with the chosen body

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:01 pm »

Having used both systems, but with the H6D-100c, I would clearly stick to Nikon unless you can afford the latest CMOS backs.

Even so it's a close call unless you really need 100mp.

Cheers,
Bernard

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:48 am »

Like I said I want to do portraits and landscape, not wildlife with the chosen body
In that case Hasselblad. Given the age now of the H3D though I would look at the X1D and a 90mm for the portraits and use a TSE for the landscapes.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:06 am »

I don't think I'd go for anything that's digital and old. Not because of IQ so much, but because of the nature of digital cameras and spares etc. For portraits, I would have loved to have been able to stay with Hassy 500 Series cameras, but film is so expensive and servicing shuttered lenses may be problematic - I am not sure about that, but if the companies have closed shop, what are you gonna do?

I have never found the 24 x 36 format good for portraits; too tall and, consesquently, too narrow to allow much space you may want to use; not all portraits get shot against white Colorama that, yes, allows you easily to clone width to your heart's content.

Looking back on my life, I wish I had sold neither any Nikkor lenses nor my 'blads. I also wish I'd kept my Bronica 6x7 (GS-1) with the single lens that worked nicely -for me: the 250mm. I have a poster on the office wall shot during the 80s with that combo; it still looks great and the detail is amazing.

The problem was always what you face: trying to squeeze different types of work out of one system. I resolved that, more or less, by having two systems: 120 and 135 formats.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up