Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 printing strangely  (Read 385 times)

kidgreen

Epson 7900 printing strangely
« on: September 08, 2019, 07:14:22 am »

Hello All,
I have an Epson 7900, not too many prints logged, clean nozzle check, printing with a yellow cast. I got one great print off of it after piezoflush, then stupidly let it sit. Went to nozzle check month later and all was perfect, went to print and now this issue. Should I reload the driver? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Garnick

Re: Epson 7900 printing strangely
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:19:32 am »

Hello All,
I have an Epson 7900, not too many prints logged, clean nozzle check, printing with a yellow cast. I got one great print off of it after piezoflush, then stupidly let it sit. Went to nozzle check month later and all was perfect, went to print and now this issue. Should I reload the driver? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Well, as we all  know, lack of use is a bane to the operative life of an Epson Wide Format Printer.  That and a low RH level can easily give you grief.  However, having said that, have you examined the nozzle check pattern with a strong light and a magnifier?  Occasionally when one checks the pattern in a rush with insufficient lighting etc. slight gaps can be overlooked.  It is somewhat strange that a print done immediately after a good nozzle check would display the sort of issue you have described, although certainly not impossible.  I would tend to run another nozzle pattern and check the channels very carefully, especially the cyan and magenta channels including the light versions thereof.  If it is a printer problem the cyan and magenta channels are not firing on all cylinders, therefore the yellow cast.  And of course also check your print settings very carefully in whatever app you are printing from.

Gary

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 02:52:37 pm »

Also you need to remove your ink carts and gently shake them every month. As far as I know the only brand of printer that adequately agitates the inks everyday is Canon.

Hi Ken,

Well, as we all  know, lack of use is a bane to the operative life of an Epson Wide Format Printer.  That and a low RH level can easily give you grief.  However, having said that, have you examined the nozzle check pattern with a strong light and a magnifier?  Occasionally when one checks the pattern in a rush with insufficient lighting etc. slight gaps can be overlooked.  It is somewhat strange that a print done immediately after a good nozzle check would display the sort of issue you have described, although certainly not impossible.  I would tend to run another nozzle pattern and check the channels very carefully, especially the cyan and magenta channels including the light versions thereof.  If it is a printer problem the cyan and magenta channels are not firing on all cylinders, therefore the yellow cast.  And of course also check your print settings very carefully in whatever app you are printing from.

Gary

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 04:41:52 pm »

Also you need to remove your ink carts and gently shake them every month. As far as I know the only brand of printer that adequately agitates the inks everyday is Canon.

Not sure about Canon since I've never used one. Perhaps they have a setting that allows agitation as a stand-alone procedure.  However, the Wide Format Epson printers also agitate the carts during the printing procedure, albeit rather slightly.  I have seen the Epson printers mounted on a table or some other solid foundation which negates the swaying motion of the printer and hence the agitation of the carts. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:45:45 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

kidgreen

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 04:55:45 pm »

Thanks for the insights. I have looked over the nozzle check quite thoroughly and no breaks whatsoever. I do not agitate my inks however but I don't think that right after a good check the print would be so poor if that was coming into play. I have a 9890, a P20000, a 3880 and a 3800 all working beautifully and for years. The 7900 I inherited and was so excited to get a good print that I thought I scored but then this is happening. I thought maybe the driver got corrupted? I am printing out of Photoshop CS6.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 07:00:21 pm »

I had a client who had this situation on a 3880. Image looked perfect on calibrated display, nozzle check perfect and color of prints on various papers with different profiles way off. Epson suggested she delete all the printer software and reload it. That solved it. No the Epsons don’t agitate enough to keep the ink from settling unless you use the printer everyday and use up the inks fairly quickly. I remove and shake mine once a month and never had a problem.

Thanks for the insights. I have looked over the nozzle check quite thoroughly and no breaks whatsoever. I do not agitate my inks however but I don't think that right after a good check the print would be so poor if that was coming into play. I have a 9890, a P20000, a 3880 and a 3800 all working beautifully and for years. The 7900 I inherited and was so excited to get a good print that I thought I scored but then this is happening. I thought maybe the driver got corrupted? I am printing out of Photoshop CS6.

BrianWJH

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 07:19:16 pm »

Hi, can you post a print and dimensions showing the yellow cast?

Regarding the agitation, yes a periodic gentle agitation of the carts is a good idea, however ink in the ink lines attached to the print head assembly is constantly 'agitated' by the back and forth motion of the printhead when printing.

Brian.

kidgreen

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 03:37:46 pm »

The reinstall was my next chore. Unfortunately I am out of ink so waiting for delivery to make another print

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 04:06:55 pm »

The reinstall was my next chore. Unfortunately I am out of ink so waiting for delivery to make another print

Are you working on Mac or Windows?
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up