Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Contax ST users still out there?  (Read 824 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Any Contax ST users still out there?
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:57:09 pm »

I have two Contax film cameras: ST and 167MT.

I also have two Carl Zeiss Contax lenses for those: 180/2.8 and 85/1.4

Problem: combination of 85/1/4 on Contax ST results in blackened and frozen viewfinder, with mirror up and LT letters in the viewfinder flashing (I assume LT stands for Long Time - 2 sec to 16 sec; and flashing means underexposure). The only thing that helps is to turn the camera off and on.

Here is the kicker: the same lens works fine on the 167MT, and what's more, the other lens, 180/2.8, works fine of ST just as well?

What gives!?

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:19:58 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

mouse

Re: Any Contax ST users still out there?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:48:57 pm »

Just a wild guess since this resembles a problem I have experienced with an Contax RTS-II.  In my case the mirror has moved forward on the supporting "shelf" and then contacted the rear projection of one lens (but not others lenses) and became stuck there.  Some lenses (e.g.: 28mm) extend further into the mirror box.  This happens because the glue that attaches the mirror "softens" over time.  I can't recall if turning the camera off resulted in release of the mirror.  Otherwise this could explain why problem occurs with only one camera and one lens.   

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:54:46 pm »

Thanks for the tip. The mirror clears the lens on its way up and then stays there. Removing the lens doesn't help, turning off the camera doesn't get the mirror down either, only turning it off and on again.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:31:54 pm »

To illustrate:

Lens-side mounts seem quite different on the two lenses, especially the two notches/levers that serve to couple the aperture ring on the lens with the body. When pushed to the end, the levers end up in different positions relative to stationary notches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up