Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX100 + TSE24 quick test  (Read 2550 times)

chrismuc

GFX100 + TSE24 quick test
« on: September 06, 2019, 12:49:40 am »

I though you might be interested if the TSE24 (II) 'can do' 3.76 um?
I did a quick test using the lens on the GFX100 with full shift downwards at f11, focussed at the shifted low/left corner area.
For your own evaluation I uploaded the full res jpg.
https://we.tl/t-018cjStCQ7
Pretty usable I would say.
Chris

OwenR

• http://www.owenraggett.com
Re: GFX100 + TSE24 quick test
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:51:15 am »

Chris, do you still have the 50s to compare with?

chrismuc

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:00:36 am »

Chris, do you still have the 50s to compare with?

yes I do, but I did not yet compare directly

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 04:43:30 am »

Is that the whole image or a 100% part...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

chrismuc

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 04:55:30 am »

from the perspective you see that it is shifted downwards
if you download the image you see the resolution: 11648 x 8736 = the whole image

OwenR

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 05:47:21 am »

Would love to see what you think when you do. I did a quick ‘test’ and whilst there was a clear improvement in resolution in the centre at f11, when shifted 5mm the difference was negligible. Probably to be expected and fair to the age and intent of the lens design. How do you find the corners for rooftop architecture shots where the subject is a long way away? I love this lens for interiors but at distance it seems to suffer in the corners even at f16 and I’m wondering if it’s just my copy (bought month of release but calibrated 3 times by Canon since).

chrismuc

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 07:01:57 am »

I mean, what shall I say. You see the quality if you open the file. If you downres to GFX50 resolution, the sharpness on pixel level will be naturally higher.
It is not GF prime lens sharpness level but I would still consider it very acceptable (on both cameras) and there is simply no shift lens alternative in that focal length.
It's also my experience that the sharpness in shifted corners will not further increase by closing the aperture more than f11.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 08:39:42 am »

Thank you for the test; I think that a panorama image made with the 23mm native fuji lens will do much better, alas they are 2 images.
Nevertheless for the use in architecture that would not be a big problem and make better use of the 100MP camera.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

OwenR

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:18:27 am »

I mean, what shall I say. You see the quality if you open the file. If you downres to GFX50 resolution, the sharpness on pixel level will be naturally higher.
It is not GF prime lens sharpness level but I would still consider it very acceptable (on both cameras) and there is simply no shift lens alternative in that focal length.
It's also my experience that the sharpness in shifted corners will not further increase by closing the aperture more than f11.

Your copy of the lens does looks a little better than mine. If we get a native Fuji 30mm shift then the camera will really come into it's own. I've used the 50s on every shoot for nearly 2 years and would love the 100, but the lenses (for me, and for professional architecture work) just aren't there yet to make the jump to the 100 inevitable. Looking forward to see what you produce with it!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:38:42 am »

Your copy of the lens does looks a little better than mine. If we get a native Fuji 30mm shift then the camera will really come into it's own. I've used the 50s on every shoot for nearly 2 years and would love the 100, but the lenses (for me, and for professional architecture work) just aren't there yet to make the jump to the 100 inevitable. Looking forward to see what you produce with it!

A 30mm shift lens- IF it comes... will not replace a 24mm shift lens.
Nikons 19mm PCE is outstanding and would make much better use of the 100MP GFX; even without shifting it would generate a better quality 24mm.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

OwenR

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:05:12 am »

A 30mm shift lens- IF it comes... will not replace a 24mm shift lens.
Nikons 19mm PCE is outstanding and would make much better use of the 100MP GFX; even without shifting it would generate a better quality 24mm.

Absolutely true, but it's the most useful focal length for professional architectural work with this sensor. Plus we currently have the 24TSE for wider but nothing at the 30mm focal length. If they nail this one (and sort out the obvious firmware issues) then they have a camera that could be the new standard for architectural work, as the 1DS mk2 was back in the day. So close.

rastas

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 10:40:02 pm »

For whatever its worth I've done three large archticture shoots with the gfx100 and the following lenses: 23mm fuji, canon 24mm TSE (ii), 50mm TSE (ii) and the 32-64.

The zoom is silly sharp, and unless I'm not pointing the lens up or down too much, works great and slight perspective adjustments are done in post. I've been shooting tethered to capture one. also using a wirelss solution directly to ipad which I can't talk about yet. :) Kipon adapter for the Canon glass.

Extremely happy with the results, workflow, everything.

I love everything about that sexy camera.

OwenR

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 04:34:16 am »

Agreed, the zoom is incredible. Can I ask why you bring the 23mm as well as the 24TS-E if you're shooting at the usual architectural apertures, do you see much difference?

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 09:31:56 am »

For whatever its worth I've done three large archticture shoots with the gfx100 and the following lenses: 23mm fuji, canon 24mm TSE (ii), 50mm TSE (ii) and the 32-64.

The zoom is silly sharp, and unless I'm not pointing the lens up or down too much, works great and slight perspective adjustments are done in post. I've been shooting tethered to capture one. also using a wirelss solution directly to ipad which I can't talk about yet. :) Kipon adapter for the Canon glass.

Extremely happy with the results, workflow, everything.

I love everything about that sexy camera.

Curious to know if you have used the 35mm crop mode as it would seem to be a great way of extending the use of the 24 and 50 to cover 'virtual focal lengths' of 19,24,40,50 all with two lenses. With the crop mode on the 100, it should be about 60Mp?   

I know that the crop mode is not necessary, I just find it a very convenient way of visualising the shot, there's an argument not to use it, but to shoot it full frame and crop later as it allows for shifting in post. So adding the crop mode to a convenient function button is another way of approaching it.

To me this makes a lot more sense than carrying four lenses as for most architectural shooting 60Mp is already more than most people need (except for giant fine art prints).  And the cost of the two additional lenses is offset against the cost of the 100Mp body.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

OwenR

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 10:30:56 am »

Curious to know if you have used the 35mm crop mode as it would seem to be a great way of extending the use of the 24 and 50 to cover 'virtual focal lengths' of 19,24,40,50 all with two lenses. With the crop mode on the 100, it should be about 60Mp?   

I know that the crop mode is not necessary, I just find it a very convenient way of visualising the shot, there's an argument not to use it, but to shoot it full frame and crop later as it allows for shifting in post. So adding the crop mode to a convenient function button is another way of approaching it.

To me this makes a lot more sense than carrying four lenses as for most architectural shooting 60Mp is already more than most people need (except for giant fine art prints).  And the cost of the two additional lenses is offset against the cost of the 100Mp body.

Wouldn't it be great if Fuji added a '1.2 crop' mode that allowed us to keep the extra dimensions of 4:3 ratio but saved the full file? I'd love to shoot in slightly expanded 4:3 rather than '35mm mode'.

marc aurel

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 11:18:07 am »

Wouldn't it be great if Fuji added a '1.2 crop' mode that allowed us to keep the extra dimensions of 4:3 ratio but saved the full file? I'd love to shoot in slightly expanded 4:3 rather than '35mm mode'.

Yes, that would be great.

But I would go further:
Fuji should allow to choose all formats (1:1, 4:3, 5:4, etc.) in 35mm crop mode AND in a new 1.2 crop mode. And keep the whole frame in RAW. That would open up a lot of possibilities.
At present 35mm mode is restricted to 3:2 which is annoying. I do not only use this mode when I use 135mm format lenses with restricted image circle. I mostly use this with TS-E lenses. And I often crop those files in post to the focal length I need (e.g the TS-E 24mm is too wide often).

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 04:54:45 am »

Yes, that would be great.

But I would go further:
Fuji should allow to choose all formats (1:1, 4:3, 5:4, etc.) in 35mm crop mode AND in a new 1.2 crop mode. And keep the whole frame in RAW. That would open up a lot of possibilities.
At present 35mm mode is restricted to 3:2 which is annoying. I do not only use this mode when I use 135mm format lenses with restricted image circle. I mostly use this with TS-E lenses. And I often crop those files in post to the focal length I need (e.g the TS-E 24mm is too wide often).

Great idea
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

OwenR

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 08:59:57 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up