Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lowepro Powder backpack  (Read 464 times)

sdwilsonsct

Lowepro Powder backpack
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:38:27 am »

This is a review of the Lowepro Powder, a camera backpack that is designed to also carry some gear into the field. I've been wanting something like this for years, but the previous offerings had various limitations. This one looked good. I've had it out lots in the last month.

It carries a DSLR and two zooms and a big prime nicely with a little extra room, I could probably squeeze in another lens. Importantly for me it also has room for a reasonable amount of stuff I need for a day in the field, such as a rain suit, a warm layer, hiking poles, avi gear, food and water. I have even used it for packing overnight into huts where a sleeping bag, more clothes and more food are needed, but this is reaching the capacity of the pack.

On the plus side, the pack works as advertised. There is easy gear access, and the big zipper on the camera compartment stays out of the way. It has nice straps, buckles and zippers. The tripod holder works well, and balances the pouch for the water bag on the other side. The pack has a detachable lid, and one of the most comfortable harnesses I've used in 45 years of backpacking (I'm 6' 3"). The generous rain cover shelters the bag fully packed and carrying a small tripod.

On the less plus side, the lid has pockets that are very small compared with those on a pure daypack which typically has space for hat, gloves, first aid, headlamp and snacks. There is no inside pocket where precious wallet and cell phone can be stashed, and no clip for keys. The zipped inner cover of the camera compartment is impossible to close because of the way the fabric is twisted inside the pack. This kind of thing makes me wonder whether the pack was thoroughly field tested. The rain cover seemed to be more water-repellent than waterproof after four hours in the rain. The stitching on some straps looks haphazard. The stretch mesh on the outer side pocket has started to tear after a month. 

So it works, but it could have been designed a little better and I wonder about the durability. Recommended with reservations.

chez

Re: Lowepro Powder backpack
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 08:48:49 pm »

For the price of that pack along with the weight...I'd much rather use a trekking pack with an ICU for equipment.

armand

• Photos
Re: Lowepro Powder backpack
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:40:46 pm »

For the price of that pack along with the weight...I'd much rather use a trekking pack with an ICU for equipment.

I've been trying this strategy for daytrips with extra safety gear.
For this to work it helps if you have a U shaped zipper to give you fast access to the ICU. So far the experience is with an REI Co-Op trail 40; the downside is that the zipper is on the outside so when you put your backpack down the harness could get dirty.

Similar to this Lowepro I bought for the winter mostly (have yet to use it, I got in the spring on a good sale) a Mammut Trion Pro 50+7 which has the U-shaped zipper on the harness side (and also a slightly smaller one on the opposite side).

The Mystery Ranch 3-way zipper looks interesting also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up