Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touch screen laptops  (Read 436 times)

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Touch screen laptops
« on: September 03, 2019, 08:58:47 am »

Is anyone finding touch screen laptops or 2 in 1 laptops useful for photo editing in any way? I'm not aware that Lightroom or Photoshop are touch enabled other than reproducing mouse movements.
I'm in the market for a 13 inch Windows OS laptop for on-the-road editing, so am looking at what is out there now. The Dell XPS 13 touchscreen might be good but it's a couple hundred bucks more than the non touch, and I've heard that the touch screens can be a big power drain.
Any thoughts?
Also any suggestions on which 13 inch Windows laptops to consider besides the Dell XPS? Asus or Lenovo?

armand

• Photos
Re: Touch screen laptops
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 12:31:13 pm »

A while back I got an HP Spectre 360 13-w023x ( i7-7500U, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD), and I also looked and the XPS13 among others. I got the HP instead because of significantly better price for similar specs (sale at Costco) and few other small things, forgot all the specifics. I think one of them was complaints regarding coil whine on the XPS. I wanted the 360 because it can go tablet or tent mode. I didn't really have an option of no touch.

I occasionally use this laptop for photo editing on the road. The 13" screen is too small. It is the FHD (didn't want the 4K for battery concerns) and LR doesn't do very well with the not so adjustable panels. Works fast enough within reasonable expectations but gets frustrating easily if you want to do extensive editing. Photoshop, not soo much but maybe the newer processors can do better. I almost never used the touch. I have an iPad of similar sized screen and I'm familar with the touch to edit concept but on a laptop it doesn't feel right and LR or Photoshop have pretty poor controls in regards to use with a finger. Might try an active stylus specifically for editing, that would probably work better for brushes and such.

Current HP would be this one: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-13-ap0039nr , a comparable Dell: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-13-touch-laptop/spd/xps-13-9380-laptop/xn9380dhngs
Dell however has newer processors available (with less RAM though) or options with FHD and no touch and still 16GB.

I would be looking at Lenovo too, the 14" X1 CARBON GEN 7 (https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Carbon-Gen-7/p/22TP2TXX17G) with similar specs but larger screen and as light.

Overall I don't think touch should change the decision one way or another for LR or Photoshop editing, maybe if you use a stylus. Screen remains too small though for extensive edits.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 12:51:16 pm »

Thanks Armand,
Some good sales on Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 7 right now (over $1000 off), so I think I will drop for one of those. They are also known for their keyboards, and I do a lot of writing. No touch, and I can't see the need for what I'm doing.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:36 pm »

Have had a touch screen PC for a number of years.  Some 18 months ago the cursor and mouse appeared to have lives of their own.  My PC guru came round and found the fault very easily; some of the touch screen sensors were failing and so the screen was assuming there was a touch.  Disabling the touch screen solved the problem.  I am now used again to non-touch and do not miss it. 

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up