Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Student at the Bookstore  (Read 1293 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Student at the Bookstore
« on: August 30, 2019, 10:37:44 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Student at the Bookstore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:24:27 am »

Omg, what are those? Books? They still exist? How last century.

In preparation for Dorian, the hurricane, I told my daughter to bring some books, preferably textbooks for her college classes, in case we lose electricity. “Sorry, dad, they are all online now.”

Sure, you can order them and pay dearly. It used to be that American students could get their college textbook at a fraction of the high price if they could get hold of an international  edition (e.g., $100 vs. $20). Not anymore. Professors got smarter. In order to get access to homework, assignments, quizzes, mid-terms, even final exams, which are all online these days, you have to register online and pay for the online book access. Which is like $150 for both online and hard copy, or “only” $100 for online-only. Brilliant!

RSL

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:19 am »

Somewhere I saw that Elizabeth Warren's textbook goes for $250. The whole "higher education" thing has become an out-and-out racket. Capone had nothing on these guys.

nadinefaith

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:41:36 am »

I love real book, usually I don't read e-books. I have read so many books in university, it was more ecological and more affordable to buy ebooks. Also during my study in university the most difficult for me was to write the essay. It was difficult for me to write much. I wrote a couple of sentences and my thoughts ended. At the University when I was writing my thesis I couldn't finish it because I was still forty pages short. As a result, I turned to the Internet for help. I was looking for someone who could write my work for me. And I found it. They helped me and wrote a very good and voluminous work quite inexpensively. Cool when there are those who help!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:09:52 pm by Jeremy Roussak »

Rayyan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 01:43:05 pm »

I, personally, like to hold a book in my hand to read.
The pleasure of turning over a page. The print.., and for the rare ones in a library..the smell, feel of years past.

e-books..ok. I belong to the dying age group.

RSL

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 03:17:05 pm »

I agree, though I spend a lot of time with ebooks. I have a whole wall plus two bookcases full of books that I've collected over a lifetime. When we move into assisted living I'm going to have to give up most of my collection. Fortunately I have four sons, four daughter-in-law, seventeen grandkids, and so far 22 great-grands. So maybe I can find takers in the family who'll appreciate the books.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 05:27:25 pm »

I have a whole wall plus two bookcases full of books that I've collected over a lifetime. When we move into assisted living I'm going to have to give up most of my collection.

When we moved from Washington, D.C., to suburban Maryland a few years ago, I was briefly tempted to give away my books-on-paper.  I contacted libraries in both jurisdictions, but none of them was accepting book donations other than rare editions.  I couldn't bring myself to throw them out, so we paid to have them boxed and trucked to the new house.  A couple of granddaughters were pressed into service to reshelve them according to my idiosyncratic system.  (See attached.)

About half a dozen times a year, I haul out one of the books in order to extract some fact that has momentarily escaped my aging memory.  But frankly I prefer digital books these days: less weight, selectable fonts, rapid cycling among multiple volumes, and, of course, the search function, which beats an index almost every time.

rabanito

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 03:48:24 am »

I use both systems but if I'm reading a book with maps, with illustrations on biology subjects, no to say on Art, books where you would mark a page and come back to it quickly etc. I prefer a real book
I don't like sitting in front of my PC for reading nor with a laptop.
There are advantages and disadvantages.
Anyway, I'm from those that prefer a good print over a picture in Instagram, praying that the viewers would have their screens "calibrated" :-)

rabanito

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 04:37:34 am »

Refreshing image, BTW

RSL

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:56:17 am »

Anyway, I'm from those that prefer a good print over a picture in Instagram, praying that the viewers would have their screens "calibrated" :-)

I'm with you, Rab. I like having a book in hand. I'm even sorry that magazines such as Life, Look, etc. have gone the way of the dodo bird.

OnlyNorth

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 12:53:01 pm »

I like it.
On the other hand,every new realm of cicilization has its supporters.They seem to be more vocal.Nostalgics,although regret the past,use new domains in silence.I like them more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up