Poll

Should members be forced to reveal first and surnames?

yes
- 28 (47.5%)
no
- 31 (52.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: September 17, 2019, 02:33:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 47909 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Who are you?
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2019, 09:41:07 am »

stamper

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2019, 09:56:10 am »

How incredibly arrogant!

Rob

If you don't like arrogance then why do you post this crap?

Quote Rob C

It shows yet again that amateur photography is the most difficult branch of all: it has no valid reason why it should interest anyone but the shooter.

Uquote

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:02:48 am by stamper »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2019, 09:57:32 am »

To the owners, moderators, and the ignorati(*),

The other day I checked the forums without being logged in. By force of habit I clicked "recent posts".
What I saw gave me the impression I have of Reddit. A no-holds-barred-anything-goes, K2 cage fight type of forum about politics. It actually scared me. In the list that you see there is no reasonable way to determine you've just entered a photography forum about the art of photography. It is perhaps useful to think about that impression in terms of a potential new user entering the forum pages and trying to determine whether this is a welcoming place to discuss his/her photographic endeavours.

An existing user can obviously add that part of the forum to their ignore list, but visitors can't. Do with that info what you will...

(*) in this case meaning: those that think it is easy to simply not read what you don't want to read. Whether it might also refer to its original meaning, is left as an exercise for the reader...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2019, 10:06:31 am »

The other day I checked the forums without being logged in. By force of habit I clicked "recent posts".
What I saw gave me the impression I have of Reddit. A no-holds-barred-anything-goes, K2 cage fight type of forum about politics. It actually scared me. In the list that you see there is no reasonable way to determine you've just entered a photography forum about the art of photography. It is perhaps useful to think about that impression in terms of a potential new user entering the forum pages and trying to determine whether this is a welcoming place to discuss his/her photographic endeavours.

An existing user can obviously add that part of the forum to their ignore list, but visitors can't. Do with that info what you will...

(*) in this case meaning: those that think it is easy to simply not read what you don't want to read. Whether it might also refer to its original meaning, is left as an exercise for the reader...

Where the hell is that clapping hands emoji when one needs it?

;-)

stamper

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2019, 10:07:00 am »

And what many others dislike is being told that because another poster doesn't enjoy a particular set of threads, they should be closed down.

How incredibly arrogant!

I am not asking for anything to be closed down. I am stating that certain subjects should not posted. >:(

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2019, 10:47:57 am »

Useful info.

Thanks

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

KLaban

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2019, 10:55:24 am »

Yup, I've just clicked the most recent posts link and it is indeed an eye-opener!

Just what is this place?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2019, 11:07:19 am »

Just took a look at some interesting statistics:

Male to Female Ratio:                    10.7 : 1
top poster: Rob C                       22056
top topic by reply   Trump II       6615
top online     Slobodan Blagojevic    278d 1h 25m 

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2019, 11:07:59 am »

Yup, I've just clicked the most recent posts link and it is indeed an eye-opener...

In theory.

In practice, however, it is highly unlikely that a first-time visitor is going to see that “horrible” view. They would need to scroll down 3-5 pages, past a list of 27 forums about photography and only then notice, if curious enough, a single, obscure line about recent posts.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2019, 11:24:00 am »

In theory.

In practice, however, it is highly unlikely that a first-time visitor is going to see that “horrible” view. They would need to scroll down 3-5 pages, past a list of 27 forums about photography and only then notice, if curious enough, a single, obscure line about recent posts.

Nope.

First thing I do when visiting any new forum is move to the bottom of the page to check what kind of handles are used. They don't have to be real names, but if I see a lot of "gunloverrrr", "skullpissser", or "naziphan", I'm quickly moving on.

Second thing I check is recent posts, which, on this forum, is conveniently located thereabouts...

Regards,
~ O ~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2019, 11:28:52 am »

... First thing I do when visiting any new forum... if I see a lot of "gunloverrrr", "skullpissser", or "naziphan"...

I wonder what urge you had to land on such forums in the first place?  ;)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2019, 11:34:20 am »

I wonder what urge you had to land on such forums in the first place?  ;)

;-)

PS. I am btw not saying politics should be banned (although I couldn't care less), but it might be useful to add the CC to the ignore list by default, and anybody can undo that once they are a member.
Regards,
~ O ~

stamper

« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2019, 11:41:18 am »

Could the CC be removed from recent posts so that only members can see the threads?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2019, 11:44:18 am »

... A no-holds-barred-anything-goes, K2 cage fight type of forum about politics. It actually scared me...

Now, you are really, really exaggerating. Nothing of the sort. For most part, it is rhetorical, just a friendly banter between people with opposing opinions. Theatrics. Most of us are actually rather polite and friendly in email and PM exchanges and would gladly go for a beer.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2019, 11:45:17 am »

Could the CC be removed from recent posts so that only members can see the threads?

That is an excellent suggestion.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2019, 12:00:55 pm »

Considering this kind of option as I am reading this thread.

Thanks

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

KLaban

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2019, 12:06:12 pm »

Just sweep it under the carpet.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2019, 12:34:27 pm »

Now, you are really, really exaggerating. Nothing of the sort. For most part, it is rhetorical, just a friendly banter between people with opposing opinions. Theatrics. Most of us are actually rather polite and friendly in email and PM exchanges and would gladly go for a beer.
Irony of all ironies - most surprising statement from this author, whose appetite for insult knows no bounds.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2019, 12:43:00 pm »

Irony of all ironies - most surprising statement from this author, whose appetite for insult knows no bounds.

Glad to see we are friends again, since I am not on your ignore list anymore ;)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2019, 12:58:27 pm »

So the question is when will this thread be shut down?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up