Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPad Pro or 13" MacBook Pro for LR Classic  (Read 446 times)

Jonathan Cross

IPad Pro or 13" MacBook Pro for LR Classic
« on: August 26, 2019, 05:28:13 pm »

I use LR Classic and will soon be looking for a laptop replacement. I may take the opportunity to go from Microsoft to Mac.  Has anyone experience of using an iPad Pro with LR Classic? Is it possible to use a flash/SSD via the USB C for unprocessed and processed images and for the catalog?  For travel it is light.  Would it be better to go for a 13" MacBook Pro, heavier but with multiple data sockets, and similarly use flash/SSD for the data?

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

armand

• Photos
Re: IPad Pro or 13" MacBook Pro for LR Classic
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 06:15:03 pm »

For iPad Pro there is the LR mobile. I just used it this recent trip to play with some shots. It is a previous generation 12.9".
It is nice to play with some shots but it starts to slow down if you have more than few photos on; apparently  the newest one doesn't run into this: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1105620202/2019-guide-apple-ipad-pro-for-photographers
The screen is nice but there are issues if the light around changes or if it is too dark.
Unless they change the iOS, backup and download can be challenging. I used Snapbridge to download the raws from the camera directly; it was slow. You can use a WD Passport Wireless SSD but the combo will be as heavy as a laptop. If you plan to do extensive editing and backup, a laptop will likely be easier.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 03:01:09 am »

If you want something small and light consider the MacBook Air. I just replaced my 2010 MBP with one for tethering and it works well. A full computer but cheaper than the MBP.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 10:45:59 am »

+1 on the Air with external SSD's - unless you want/need discrete graphics which puts you in the 15" MacbookPro or doing a eGPU setup.
t: @PNWMF

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 11:17:29 am »

I would not use an iPad in any model as my primary machine. Perhaps a MBP in whatever size you prefer and an external display for the office, Commercial shoots on location and serious editing. I think the 13" models lacked processor and GPU power until recently and upgrades pushed it into a 15" price point. There are compromises when you look at tablets/laptops and I think the 15" works for me if it's the only display on set. I'm also not a fan of LR, I find it slow and not well laid out and shoot tethered so I use CaptureOne which also processes and archives all my shoots.

armand

• Photos
Pages: [1]   Go Up