Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At sunset  (Read 1195 times)

armand

• Photos
At sunset
« on: August 25, 2019, 10:48:14 pm »

The result of mostly good decisions, this one was not easy to pull off. In the end I do feel I've been mostly successful.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:25:19 am by armand »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: At sunset
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 11:56:29 pm »

The result of mostly good decisions...

Do tell  :)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:45:13 am »

Do tell  :)

I thought you'll never ask! Joke aside, in the end it matters less what I did if the shot is not working.

But as I raised the subject and you asked, some of the stuff that led to this. I was there with the family and we were going back in the city. It was quite cloudy/gloomy but I was quite hopeful that the sun will show under the clouds at sunset, so I decided that I will leave them at the hotel and go back to a trail that I spotted earlier and which offered a view of some surrounding peaks. Those peaks caught my attention a couple of days before but had no where to stop at that time. So this was roughly 1.5 hours until I was able to be back. Then as I walked on the trail the sun started to show up as expected but initially I had just a glimpse with the spectacle being on the other side of the mountain where I knew it was another pretty good spot in a parking area; I was very tempted to leave and go there, but I thought that I will have a shot like everybody else and by the time I get there the sun might be gone.
As the sun came in between the mountains with the glorious light, it started raining. The wind was already blowing quite hard from the front which meant the lens was getting covered immediately in raindrops. For once I had with me a piece of tissue to wipe the lens but as I said, it was getting covered within a second. So in order to get something, I switched to manual focus and exposure, was staying in front of the camera, wiping the lens and moving out as I was pressing the shutter. I still got some raindrops but few enough to deal with them in Photoshop. I had to shoot bracketed also, this is a 3 shot mix. I have one from a single shot but didn't look as good and I had obvious banding in the highlights (apparently I'm one of the few that can get it on the Z7). Oh, going out wearing all my layers was quite helpful too.

Here an example of how it looked if I didn't wipe the lens

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 06:25:49 am »

Well worth the effort. A fine result.

(And "raindrops" makes an interesting abstract, but not in the same league.)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:46:19 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 10:52:28 am »

Me: (Applauds)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 11:50:29 am »

I thought you'll never ask! Joke aside, in the end it matters less what I did if the shot is not working.

But as I raised the subject and you asked, some of the stuff that led to this. I was there with the family and we were going back in the city. It was quite cloudy/gloomy but I was quite hopeful that the sun will show under the clouds at sunset, so I decided that I will leave them at the hotel and go back to a trail that I spotted earlier and which offered a view of some surrounding peaks. Those peaks caught my attention a couple of days before but had no where to stop at that time. So this was roughly 1.5 hours until I was able to be back. Then as I walked on the trail the sun started to show up as expected but initially I had just a glimpse with the spectacle being on the other side of the mountain where I knew it was another pretty good spot in a parking area; I was very tempted to leave and go there, but I thought that I will have a shot like everybody else and by the time I get there the sun might be gone.
As the sun came in between the mountains with the glorious light, it started raining. The wind was already blowing quite hard from the front which meant the lens was getting covered immediately in raindrops. For once I had with me a piece of tissue to wipe the lens but as I said, it was getting covered within a second. So in order to get something, I switched to manual focus and exposure, was staying in front of the camera, wiping the lens and moving out as I was pressing the shutter. I still got some raindrops but few enough to deal with them in Photoshop. I had to shoot bracketed also, this is a 3 shot mix. I have one from a single shot but didn't look as good and I had obvious banding in the highlights (apparently I'm one of the few that can get it on the Z7). Oh, going out wearing all my layers was quite helpful too.

Here an example of how it looked if I didn't wipe the lens

This could have been your Midnight Rainbow!

(I like both images.)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 12:17:03 pm »

Thank you all!
The evening proved to be quite productive even I was there for about an hour only.
Here are some selections. The second shows what almost made me leave for the other side, while what I came for initially are the peaks in the last 2 shots.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 12:20:10 pm »

Few more, with a panorama thrown for good measure

nirpat89

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 12:33:35 pm »

#7 (2nd from the last)...the best of the lot if I have to pick one favorite out of all.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 12:49:58 pm »

#7 (2nd from the last)...the best of the lot if I have to pick one favorite out of all.

That would be my second, first being the initial image posted

nirpat89

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 02:02:34 pm »

That would be my second, first being the initial image posted

I agree.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 06:05:08 pm »

And few more. As I said, a very productive hour.

francois

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 05:27:35 am »

Superb gallery with the first being my favorite.
Well done, Armand!
Francois

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 09:22:07 am »

Thank you!

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 10:04:13 am »

Whoa buddy!! You got epic mammutus clouds. I'd consider a composite... that last sky image with your first, Pano stitch. I'd also highlight the light catching those hills, and consider increasing the clarity above the fog to bring out mountain detail slightly. But that last image is a special rare weather moment, and so is the first. Do you have any low fog shots with the Mammutus in them or was that too wide of an angle?
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 12:44:48 pm »

Superb gallery with the first being my favorite.
Well done, Armand!

+1

Thierry

armand

• Photos
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 02:41:49 pm »

+1

Thierry

Thank you!

Whoa buddy!! You got epic mammutus clouds.
 But that last image is a special rare weather moment, and so is the first. Do you have any low fog shots with the Mammutus in them or was that too wide of an angle?

The significance of this totally went over my head, until now I've never heard of mammatus clouds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud
I don't have that combo, in that hour I had 4-5 very distinct light/clouds patterns. The one with the mammatus clouds was at the end.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:45:47 pm by armand »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 05:31:38 am »

Fine shot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up