Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metallic Canvas  (Read 1051 times)

deanwork

Metallic Canvas
« on: August 22, 2019, 08:46:50 am »

Does anyone know if there are any obvious differences between the Breathing Color metallic canvas product and the Hahnemuhle metallic canvas?

And, do either one of them actually look metallic and how does acrylic/laytex varnishing effect the surface appearance? Are they worth ordering a sample roll?

I’ve used the BC rc metallic media and it’s ok.

John

mearussi

Re: Metallic Canvas
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 07:19:03 pm »

I've used both and there's not much difference except price. Hahnemuhle's metallic paper though is amazing looking.

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:12 am »

Does anyone know if there are any obvious differences between the Breathing Color metallic canvas product and the Hahnemuhle metallic canvas?

And, do either one of them actually look metallic and how does acrylic/laytex varnishing effect the surface appearance? Are they worth ordering a sample roll?

I’ve used the BC rc metallic media and it’s ok.

John

I think they are the same product
And that's why Hahnemuhle USA is the only distrubutor who sales the metallic canvas.

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 10:19:07 am »

I think they are the same product
And that's why Hahnemuhle USA is the only distrubutor who sales the metallic canvas.
Since when? Metallic canvas comes from not only Hahnemuhle and Breathing Color but also from Inkpress and itsupplies, with itsupplies being the least expensive. And each one is a little different (I've tried them all).

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:19:54 am »

Our Simply Elegant Metallic canvas and BC Metallic Canvas are pretty close to each other with a 2 over 1 weave where Hahnemuhle's is a 1 over 1 weave.  They are all pretty similar in production though.

The coating does give it a metallic look like the metallic papers available.  Hahnemuhle actually doesn't make it themselves and gets it from the same places all of us get it from.  It can be altered per the brand (Hahnemuhle, IT Supplies, BC, Inkpress, etc) that sells it.

IT Supplies

mearussi

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 07:24:52 pm »

Our Simply Elegant Metallic canvas and BC Metallic Canvas are pretty close to each other with a 2 over 1 weave where Hahnemuhle's is a 1 over 1 weave.  They are all pretty similar in production though.

The coating does give it a metallic look like the metallic papers available.  Hahnemuhle actually doesn't make it themselves and gets it from the same places all of us get it from.  It can be altered per the brand (Hahnemuhle, IT Supplies, BC, Inkpress, etc) that sells it.

IT Supplies
So you're saying it's a coating available from one only source, but each company specifies the type of canvas it's put on.

aaronchan

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 11:14:24 pm »

So you're saying it's a coating available from one only source, but each company specifies the type of canvas it's put on.

The coating is exactly the same thing but each company can ask to coating company to put it on whatever substrate that they want, technically.

And this coating company is in TX. Since itsupply is in the thread so I don't think I should say the name of it.

But this is how a lot of other company does as well. Hahnemuhle makes their own paper but let the others coat on it
Innova makes their own coating but buy paper from the others.

very normal in this market.

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 08:13:24 am »

The coating is exactly the same thing but each company can ask to coating company to put it on whatever substrate that they want, technically.

And this coating company is in TX. Since itsupply is in the thread so I don't think I should say the name of it.

But this is how a lot of other company does as well. Hahnemuhle makes their own paper but let the others coat on it
Innova makes their own coating but buy paper from the others.

very normal in this market.
Interesting, the only company I know of in Texas who makes their own coatings is Breathing Color (or their parent company) and they also buy their substrates from others.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:34:48 pm »

I know this is a delayed:

aaronchan - we know mainly all companies that coat, manufacturer and ship and what not, so that's not a problem of their name(s).  Not sure if others should know as it may be a privacy matter so those trying to contact them won't be upset of direct connections vs dealing with vendors upfront.

Hahnemuhle doesn't make their Metallic canvas, but majority of the other paper is by them.  Metallic canvas is mainly done by the company in TX and it's coated per those companies that do it for the manufacturer of the paper it's being made for.

Sort of like Luster paper is mainly all made by Mitsubishi.

mearussi - the parent company makes many of their own media which is sold thru BC and some media thru other distributors (like us).

IT Supplies

mfullana

• Michael Fullana
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 09:42:41 am »

curious as to the difference in Metallic canvas as to a glossy type canvas
Michael Fullana
www.michaelfullana.com

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 10:30:51 am »

BC's parent company that makes the Metallic canvas also makes many of Epson's canvas, so it will be pretty similar to their Epson Gloss most likely; with some slightly different specs to make it theirs.
As many of the manufacturer's don't make their own media, those that have a metallic canvas or a gloss canvas (or both), most likely get it from the same place and those companies that coat the media tweak it per the manufacturer request.  Mostly very subtle differences, but you'll probably hear from others of them "possibly" being pretty different.  The biggest difference is the weave for certain brands (some texture vs very little to none).

mearussi

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 04:59:53 pm »

curious as to the difference in Metallic canvas as to a glossy type canvas
A lot of difference like the difference between glossy paper and metallic paper. It has a metallic sheen to it. Works well for some images, others not so much. You just have to try it.

MfAlab

• Modern Fine Art printing laboratory
    • HSU fine print
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 04:31:35 am »

Breathing Color MUSE 400 solvent canvas is actually Epson GS canvas. Many canvas are made by BC. Precisely, made by BC's parent company. BC is the company doing B-to-C branding. The parent company focus on B-to-B OEM business. Just like SiHL coating company and their masterclass line. BC's parent company is part of another group that has inkjet printing business company. Breathing Color was founded in 2003, the year it's parent company was accrued by a historical paper company. Few years later they was sold to an enterprise group they belong now.

something else: The paper company once owned Breathing Color for few years, sold their paper brand and mill to another paper company 6 years later, and filed for federal bankruptcy protection after another 5 years.

Relationship between companies is complicated in modern business world. Just like what we know as Ilford inkjet paper is not a product of Harman Technology who actually made Ilford silver papers in UK. It's just gossip as long as they still made good products. I think Breathing Color's canvas has excellent quality and stability.
Kang-Wei Hsu
digital printing & color management
fixative tests preview: https://reurl.cc/OVGDmr
Pages: [1]   Go Up