Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Churchill, Scowling Over A Stolen Cigar  (Read 505 times)

JoeKitchen

Churchill, Scowling Over A Stolen Cigar
« on: August 21, 2019, 04:46:01 pm »

I found this article to interesting and funny.  Seems like Churchill's most iconic pose and image was the result of the photographer yanking the cigar out of his mouth.  I don't think I would have had the brazenness to do so myself, but I am not a portrait photographer. 

In His Iconic Portrait, Winston Churchill is Scowling Over a Lost Cigar
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Churchill, Scowling Over A Stolen Cigar
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 05:04:20 pm »

Seems like Churchill's most iconic pose and image was the result of the photographer yanking the cigar out of his mouth.  I don't think I would have had the brazenness to do so myself, but I am not a portrait photographer.

Great story!  In addition to the expression, I prefer the wider crop in the famous image with the scowl.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:46:54 pm »

I found this article to interesting and funny.  Seems like Churchill's most iconic pose and image was the result of the photographer yanking the cigar out of his mouth.  I don't think I would have had the brazenness to do so myself, but I am not a portrait photographer. 

In His Iconic Portrait, Winston Churchill is Scowling Over a Lost Cigar

Right, Joe, but that "photographer" was Yousuf Karsh! And Karsh himself was an icon.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:47 pm »

In one of his portrait collection books, maybe even the one I own (can't locate it right now), there is a second Churchill portrait taken in an unguarded moment in which Churchill appears as a frailer and less confident old(er) man. I find it to be the better portrait.
--
Robert

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 05:36:05 am »

Fascinating story, I never saw the "Other " portrait shown in the article but I was always partial to the series with him and some troops holding and firing the Thompson Submachine Gun. If memory serves, at one point, the Germans propagandists claimed that it made him resemble an American 20's gangster.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:01:09 am »

Great story, thanks for sharing. I love little historical vignettes like this, especially when photography is involved.
-MattB

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 02:53:06 pm »

I heard or read another story about Churchill years ago, but I don't know if it's real or apocryphal. At a dinner party, he was sitting across from a woman with whom he was having a vehement political disagreement. In frustration at one point, she said to him, 'If I were your wife, I'd poison your salad.' He replier, 'If I were your husband, I'd eat it.'
--
Robert

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 03:22:13 pm »

Right, Robert. Another one, which certainly isn't apocryphal: A woman said to Winston: "Mr Churchill, you are drunk." He replied, "Yes, madam, I am drunk and you are ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 07:13:53 pm »

I heard or read another story about Churchill years ago, but I don't know if it's real or apocryphal. At a dinner party, he was sitting across from a woman with whom he was having a vehement political disagreement. In frustration at one point, she said to him, 'If I were your wife, I'd poison your salad.' He replier, 'If I were your husband, I'd eat it.'

Told in a number of contexts.

Also attributed to Churchill, probably apocryphally:

Heckler: "I wouldn't vote for your party if you were the Archangel Gabriel".
Churchill: "If I were the Archangel Gabriel, you wouldn't be in my constituency".

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up