Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Protest  (Read 911 times)

Mark Nadler

To Protest
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:00:05 pm »

Comments welcomed.

Mark

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: To Protest
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 05:20:36 am »

Interesting image, can you tell more about the context?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 07:06:59 am »

Ambiguous indeed; the little cars make it, both coming and going out of the frame as echo of the human, though my guess, not that it matters, would be they were serendipitous.

Now that I think of it, just like the poster echo in HC-B's puddle jumper.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 09:01:01 am »

Interesting image, can you tell more about the context?

+1. I don't get it either.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 09:18:23 am »

+1. I don't get it either.

I would perhaps read it as a comment on the "system" and its success rates.

But I prefer the romantic allusion to the photographic past!

;-)

Mark Nadler

Background To Protest
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 09:32:44 am »

While driving to work, I passed this woman many times.   She and her lawyer often stood outside a nursing home/rehabilitation center with this sign and one that read that the state had rated this facility below average.  I decided to speak with her and have her tell me her story.

Her mother was in her middle eighties with many of the typical illnesses that beset us at that age.  She told me that her mom was a very active person and probably had a better social life than she.  She put her mom into this facility because she needed some rehabilitation.

This facility is associated with her family’s religion and she felt comfortable that her mother would receive excellent care.  The day her mother was admitted she took the upper left picture and the day her mother passed away she took the picture in the lower right: approximately seven weeks later.

She is suing the facility for medical malpractice.  I will save you the litany of things she claims the facility botched in her mother's care.  She told me that she visited her mother every day and complained bitterly to the facility's doctors and administrators about her mother’s deteriorating condition, but to no avail.

It is interesting the response she has received to her almost daily protest vigil.  Older women who visit friends at the facility, who are also members of the church that sponsor it, question her integrity and her right to protest.  Individuals who have lost family members while staying in this facility have come to her feeling guilty that they did not protest what they also sensed was an unnatural death to their family member.

I cannot say whether she is right or wrong in her claims -- I do not have the evidence.  However, in my lengthy conversation with her, I came to admire what she is doing.  She has already gotten the facility administrators to admit to the community that the state rates its services below average.  Probably more important to her than any financial reward she might win is that she wants to improve the care this facility offers (she related to me circumstantial evidence indicating that it already has) and get the facility administrators to admit their wrongdoing in her mom's premature death. 

Eventually, her case was settled.  I do not have the details of the settlement.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:23 pm »

It is a local news item. Nothing to do with The Art of Photography.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 05:38:45 pm »

It is a local news item. Nothing to do with The Art of Photography.

Ivo asked the question; Mark supplied the answer.

Rob

Mark Nadler

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 06:15:00 pm »

Also, RSL expressed that he did not get it either.  Background informnation has always been part
of understanding the meaning of expressive acts. 

mark

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 11:52:11 pm »

Ivo asked the question; Mark supplied the answer.

I was talking about the original post.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: Background To Protest
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 12:55:09 am »

While driving to work, I passed this woman many times.   She and her lawyer often stood outside a nursing home/rehabilitation center with this sign and one that read that the state had rated this facility below average.  I decided to speak with her and have her tell me her story.

Her mother was in her middle eighties with many of the typical illnesses that beset us at that age.  She told me that her mom was a very active person and probably had a better social life than she.  She put her mom into this facility because she needed some rehabilitation.

This facility is associated with her family’s religion and she felt comfortable that her mother would receive excellent care.  The day her mother was admitted she took the upper left picture and the day her mother passed away she took the picture in the lower right: approximately seven weeks later.

She is suing the facility for medical malpractice.  I will save you the litany of things she claims the facility botched in her mother's care.  She told me that she visited her mother every day and complained bitterly to the facility's doctors and administrators about her mother’s deteriorating condition, but to no avail.

It is interesting the response she has received to her almost daily protest vigil.  Older women who visit friends at the facility, who are also members of the church that sponsor it, question her integrity and her right to protest.  Individuals who have lost family members while staying in this facility have come to her feeling guilty that they did not protest what they also sensed was an unnatural death to their family member.

I cannot say whether she is right or wrong in her claims -- I do not have the evidence.  However, in my lengthy conversation with her, I came to admire what she is doing.  She has already gotten the facility administrators to admit to the community that the state rates its services below average.  Probably more important to her than any financial reward she might win is that she wants to improve the care this facility offers (she related to me circumstantial evidence indicating that it already has) and get the facility administrators to admit their wrongdoing in her mom's premature death. 

Eventually, her case was settled.  I do not have the details of the settlement.

Thanks for the explanation. Don’t mind Grumpy and Happy.  ;D

Mark Nadler

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:28 pm »

I don't care to pursue it but there is an overlap between street "art" and photojournalism.

mark

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 07:13:24 am »

I don't care to pursue it but there is an overlap between street "art" and photojournalism.

mark

Indeed there is, as between street art and street people-photography. There's a separate sub-division for the street art kind, though it doesn't get a whole heap of traffic. It does get confused with architectural bijoux at times, but there you go.

It might be interesting to get a LuLa overview perspective on this, but don't hold your breath - especially if you're not keen to pursue the matter. I suppose that the only way - or should that be most simple way? - of coming to a kind of consensus might be by posting reference images from shooters we all respect. For a start, Saul Leiter did both kinds of street photography but not, afaik, real photojournalism.

:-)

Mark Nadler

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:49 pm »

Tell me if I am missing something but some of the greatest American images of the 20th century
fall under the category of photojournalism: Lange's Migrant Mother and Eisenstaedt's Nurse Kissed by Sailor.
Both are news stories told with a camera.  Anyone doubt that they are worthy of being considered also
in the category of "The Photography of Art."

Buy the way, I am not saying that my image comes even close to either of these. 

mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up