Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad XCD 135mm f/2.8 in-depth review  (Read 2881 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Hasselblad XCD 135mm f/2.8 in-depth review
« on: August 16, 2019, 07:40:47 am »

Ladies and gentlemen, I just published my in-depth review of the Hasselblad XCD 135mm f/2.8, both with and without the X Converter 1.7.

The page is here:

https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2019/08/hasselblad-xcd-135mm-f-2-8-in-depth-review.html

In short, the lens is spectacular both without the converter, as I expected after reviewing four XCD lenses, and surprisingly with the converter a well. Once more, Hasselblad went for a pretty unique focal length for a prime, in the MF arena where nobody else offers such a lens, offering a very classical 105mm / 180mm FOV equivalent (with and w/out converter).

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

ShawnBK

Re: Hasselblad XCD 135mm f/2.8 in-depth review
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 11:26:00 am »

Nice review. I have 45 & 90XCD and have been mulling over 135+1.7. Your review helps a lot. U mentioned that the " tripod bracket with built-in an Arca-Swiss compatible foot" is included. I use RRS BH-55 ballhead, so will I be needing a different plate to make it compatible with RRS. Thanks appreciate the review.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 11:29:46 am »

Nice review. I have 45 & 90XCD and have been mulling over 135+1.7. Your review helps a lot. U mentioned that the " tripod bracket with built-in an Arca-Swiss compatible foot" is included. I use RRS BH-55 ballhead, so will I be needing a different plate to make it compatible with RRS. Thanks appreciate the review.

Hello Shawn,

thank you very much, glad you enjoyed the review. About the foot, if your ballhead uses an Arca-Swiss compatible plate (all RRS ballhead do, so your BH-55 also should unless you replaced it with something else), then the bracket will just work as it is. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

ShawnBK

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 12:15:48 am »

Thank you. I'm not aware of compatibilty of Arca-Swiss foot with RRS BH-55 (hencve my question), but since u said they r compatible I believe it.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 02:35:43 am »

Thank you. I'm not aware of compatibilty of Arca-Swiss foot with RRS BH-55 (hencve my question), but since u said they r compatible I believe it.

Hello Shawn,

you are welcome, but don't take my word for it, see what ReallyRightStuff says instead: https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/faq and scroll to FAQ number five:

"Should I Get The Lever-Release Clamp Or Screw-Knob Clamp?
If you are using plates from Really Right Stuff, the lever-release style clamp is ideal.
If you are not using plates from Really Right Stuff, the screw-knob style clamp is required.
This is because Really Right Stuff follows the Arca-Swiss Standard. The Arca-Swiss Standard is a loose standard, meaning many companies can produce “Arca-compatible” plates that differ in dimension from Really Right Stuff’s “Arca-compatible” plates.
Really Right Stuff screw knob clamps allow greater tolerance for those differences in dimension, while Really Right Stuff lever-release clamps are set to properly clamp down onto Really Right Stuff plates, only."

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

hubell

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 12:15:55 pm »

Hello Shawn,

you are welcome, but don't take my word for it, see what ReallyRightStuff says instead: https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/faq and scroll to FAQ number five:

"Should I Get The Lever-Release Clamp Or Screw-Knob Clamp?
If you are using plates from Really Right Stuff, the lever-release style clamp is ideal.
If you are not using plates from Really Right Stuff, the screw-knob style clamp is required.
This is because Really Right Stuff follows the Arca-Swiss Standard. The Arca-Swiss Standard is a loose standard, meaning many companies can produce “Arca-compatible” plates that differ in dimension from Really Right Stuff’s “Arca-compatible” plates.
Really Right Stuff screw knob clamps allow greater tolerance for those differences in dimension, while Really Right Stuff lever-release clamps are set to properly clamp down onto Really Right Stuff plates, only."

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Vieri

Just to confirm, if you have a RRS BH-55 head with a lever clamp, you do need a RRS plate to attach to the tripod bracket. I use the RRS MPR-73 (3/8" screw) plate on my tripod bracket.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 02:30:15 pm »

Just to confirm, if you have a RRS BH-55 head with a lever clamp, you do need a RRS plate to attach to the tripod bracket. I use the RRS MPR-73 (3/8" screw) plate on my tripod bracket.

Indeed, thank you for that :)

I love RRS products, but I can't help but finding their logic a bit strange on the "standard" concept as per their FAQs. The thing is, the Arca-Swiss standard is not a loose standard per se, as RRS states. What happens is that other companies, RRS included, use it loosely ;)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

beseeingyou

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 05:48:55 am »

I agree with Vieri's assessment that RRS uses the "Arca compliant" concept loosely. However, I have discovered that Hasselblad might be a little loose with it as well. I have an Arca-Swiss L60 leveling head, and the Hasselblad foot simply does not work in it. It is far too narrow for the upper groove [no matter how much I adjust the gap], and too large for the lower groove with safety pins. I also have with me at the moment RRS screw knob clamps, and a Rollei screw-knob clamp on a mini Rollei tripod. The Hasselblad foot fits in none of these clamps, while all my RRS brackets and my Leica Q2 bracket fit every one of these devices just fine.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 08:17:51 am »

I agree with Vieri's assessment that RRS uses the "Arca compliant" concept loosely. However, I have discovered that Hasselblad might be a little loose with it as well. I have an Arca-Swiss L60 leveling head, and the Hasselblad foot simply does not work in it. It is far too narrow for the upper groove [no matter how much I adjust the gap], and too large for the lower groove with safety pins. I also have with me at the moment RRS screw knob clamps, and a Rollei screw-knob clamp on a mini Rollei tripod. The Hasselblad foot fits in none of these clamps, while all my RRS brackets and my Leica Q2 bracket fit every one of these devices just fine.

Hello there,

actually, Hasselblad's foot is Hasselblad-compatible, not Arca-Siwss compatible. I amended the review in that sense. The Hasselblad standard is narrower than Arca-Swiss, and will therefore need an Areca-Swiss compatible lens plate to be used with an Areca-Swiss compatible tripod head.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up