Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GFX100 corrupting files nonstop  (Read 2105 times)

rastas

GFX100 corrupting files nonstop
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:35:36 pm »

First full day of using the GFX100. After shooting for about four hours, went to download the card and found that the images were corrupt. Proceeded to do testing with other cards, all new, and almost everything was corrupt. Tried having camera record to two disks as backup. Tried writing just to one card. Tried saving just as raw instead of raw plus JPG.

Everything is corrupt. Files dont open. Camera is unusable. Rescue software didn't get images back.

Using new SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO 170MB/s UHS-I SDXC Memory Card. All six of them are new, all give the same result.

I would think this card is most than fast enough. Is it the "1" in UHS 1 that is causing issues? Does it need to be a a UHS-2?

Any advice welcomed.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: GFX100 corrupting files nonstop
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:37 pm »

First full day of using the GFX100. After shooting for about four hours, went to download the card and found that the images were corrupt. Proceeded to do testing with other cards, all new, and almost everything was corrupt. Tried having camera record to two disks as backup. Tried writing just to one card. Tried saving just as raw instead of raw plus JPG.

Everything is corrupt. Files dont open. Camera is unusable. Rescue software didn't get images back.

Using new SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO 170MB/s UHS-I SDXC Memory Card. All six of them are new, all give the same result.

I would think this card is most than fast enough. Is it the "1" in UHS 1 that is causing issues? Does it need to be a a UHS-2?

Any advice welcomed.

I used a UHS-I card once by accident. Seemed to work fine.

I recommend the Sony Tough UHS-II 300 MB/s cards in general though.

Can the file system on your computer see the files?

Jim

rastas

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:35:12 pm »

I inserted the card into card reader (as I've done a hundred thousands times before over the years), card reader plugged into macbook. Card doesn't show up. Eject, insert again, same thing. Try again, card shows up. Then disappears. Tried another USB port on computer. Same thing. Ran photo rescue software, it appeared to get back all raf files (as viewed in photo mechanic), but when I try to open in capture one, photoshop or lightroom, got corrupt messages.

did more testing with other cards with same result. All were new cards. All were the same type of cards.

Going to try a UHS 2 card to see if it helps.

Got the camera from Fotocare in NYC. Interestingly the box didn't have an instruction book in it. I'm wondering now if this was some sort of return they received.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 09:39:28 pm »

Interestingly the box didn't have an instruction book in it. I'm wondering now if this was some sort of return they received.

There was no manual in my box, either. It was one of the first cameras of the second tranche, after they had fixed the hardware issues that plagued many of the first tranche.

Jim

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:54:10 pm »

I recommend the Sony Tough UHS-II 300 MB/s cards in general though.

Sorry to hear about the OP's issue.

I have been using one Sony Tough UHS-II 300 MB/s in slot one, and one Sandisk USH-II 295 MB/s in slot 2.

Zero issues after nearly 1 GB of data captured.

Cheers,
Bernard

JaapD

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:48:21 am »

I’ve also experienced corrupted files after taking the card out of the camera to the USB reader (as shared in another forum, including the visually corrupted file). However I was able to copy the files through the camera ‘s USB port via cable to the PC. It looks like the camera was able to read back what it has written itself to the card.

For completeness: Fuji X-H1, SANDISK 64GB EXTREME PRO UHS II SDXC + SANDISK EXTREME PRO USB 3.0 UHS II SD CARD READER.

My corrupted file errors were reproducible as long as I did the formatting of the card in-camera. Once I formatted the card in the PC (exFAT, not the quick format, the thorough one) all my corrupted file problems were vanished. Because of this ‘experience’ I have my doubts about Fuji’s in-camera formatting cycle, not in the last place as it’s such a quick cycle. What does this quick format actually do and does Fuji fully comply to the exFAT formatting standard?

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:32:59 am by JaapD »

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 04:20:15 am »

Zero issues after nearly 1 GB of data captured.

And that's what, 3 uncompressed RAW 16-bit captures Bernard? :)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:01 am »

And that's what, 3 uncompressed RAW 16-bit captures Bernard? :)

😀

Cheers,
Bernard

fotagf8

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 08:03:05 am »

Sorry to hear about your problem.  Not sure exactly how the internal memory works, but I would be curious what happens if you take 20 shots, take the battery out, then reinstall it, and then try to view the images in the camera.

Btw, my camera came with a thick manual.  They don’t need to include those anymore.  I much prefer a searchable pdf on my iPad.

rastas

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:17:52 pm »

For whatever its worth, upgraded to faster UHS2 Sony cards and a Sony card reader (was using a cheap-ish Insignia brand). Problems seem to have cleared, but still too soon to say definitively where the fault lies....

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 01:40:02 pm »

Curious if you tried the cards in a different camera? That should answer the question of whether the problem is the card or the camera.

I did have an old decent brand card reader die recently. I replaced it with an different, new reader and all was well.

Glad it seems to have resolved. It doesn't make sense to me (a computer moron) that the speed of the card should have mattered. Perhaps someone more expert than I am (Jim Kasson?) could make sense of this.

Good luck to you.

rastas

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »

I tried the cards that were giving me problems (UHS 1 cards) in the gfx on my canon 5dsr, and they seem to work fine. My gutt is telling me that Insignia card reader had something to do with it....

So far the Sony uhs 2 cards and Sony card reader seem to be working fine. Going to use the camera today for a shoot again, so I'll be watching closesly.

And my usual rant: FUJI: please make some sort of professional wireless remote control solution. Or open your wifi protocol up so others can make something professional. And - FUJI - desperately waiting for your tilt shift lenses.

michaelclark

• http://www.michaelclarkphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 10:18:55 pm »

If you haven't already I would highly recommend contacting Fujifilm as it sounds like something is wrong with your GFX 100.

Cheers, Michael

www.michaelclarkphoto.com

Any advice welcomed.
Michael Clark Photography
http://www.michaelclarkphoto.com

Fotophil

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 12:17:55 am »

What is the current Fuji Position on the need for expensive UHS-2 cards in the GFX100? Several months ago I was told by Fuji Tech Support in New Jersey that the UHS-2 cards would read faster than the UHS-1 card but the speed wasn't necessary for non-video shooting. I wonder if the position has changed now that the camera is in service?

JaapD

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 02:51:37 am »

It depends on your shooting speed. As long as you don’t have completely filled the internal memory buffer, and don’t do video, you should be perfectly fine with slower cards.

You should check the specified write speed of the card. Some UHS-1 cards do write speeds of up to 170Mb/s. With compressed RAW you could do a continuous frame speed (no saturation of the buffer) of more than 1 image/second. Would that be sufficient for you?

You’ll notice it yourself when shooting a burst of frames and the camera doesn’t take the next picture or is slowing down its sequence: only then you have saturated the internal memory buffer. In any case, it should never result in corrupted images (which I experienced with UHS-2 cards by the way).

Regards,
Jaap.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 02:55:34 am by JaapD »

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 10:14:23 am »

Coming from the Fuji X world (and I now have both GFX 50s and GFX 100) I can tell you that for “whatever reason” Fuji cameras are very fussy about what SD cards are used.  On each camera release, I watch with some amazement at the plethora of “my camera is defective” posts bashing the various cameras - when it turns out that SD cards were the issue.  Some cards, even those with “the right specs” also caused faults.  It “shouldn’t” be this way, but there it is.

If you look in your camera’s manual (PDF) you’ll see on page 49:

“A list of supported memory cards is available on the Fujifilm website. For details, visit: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/compatibility/

I have always purchased cards for my Fuji cameras that are on this list and specifically tested on my model.  I have never experienced any of the “camera faults.”  This includes my GFX 100.
Hope this helps.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Joe Towner

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 11:11:42 am »

Medium format cameras are much pickier than their 35mm counterparts. Back in the Compact Flash days, it was SanDisk & Lexar only.  SD cards are made by everyone, plus fakes, so it seems to be even more fun...
t: @PNWMF

tigerbait1953

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »

Everyone has some great suggestions, but there is one part of the chain that no one has mentioned.  The card reader!!!  They do wear out, and it's another piece of electronics in the transfer chain that could have an error.  OP has said he's used it thousands of times.  He thus implies that it's older maybe only compatible with UHS I.  I think the cards he is using are UHS II.  He changed USB ports, but same reader in a new port, if defective, will give the same result.  If they are viewable in the camera, it's not the camera that has corrupted them.  Just saw a You Tube post on Fstoppers channel about REAL differences in SD card readers.  Cheap ones can have errors, much slower transfer rates.  Try a new card reader.  Fstoppers suggested the new ProGrade one.  They must be popular and work well because they sold out everywhere.  I will receive two tommorow from B&H to go along with my GFX 100. Justa thought and suggestion.  Good luck.

JaapD

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 01:51:55 am »

Everyone has some great suggestions, but there is one part of the chain that no one has mentioned.  The card reader!!!  They do wear out, and it's another piece of electronics in the transfer chain that could have an error.  OP has said he's used it thousands of times.  He thus implies that it's older maybe only compatible with UHS I.  I think the cards he is using are UHS II.  He changed USB ports, but same reader in a new port, if defective, will give the same result.  If they are viewable in the camera, it's not the camera that has corrupted them.  Just saw a You Tube post on Fstoppers channel about REAL differences in SD card readers.  Cheap ones can have errors, much slower transfer rates.  Try a new card reader.  Fstoppers suggested the new ProGrade one.  They must be popular and work well because they sold out everywhere.  I will receive two tommorow from B&H to go along with my GFX 100. Justa thought and suggestion.  Good luck.

+1. You should indeed use a good quality UHS-II card reader, for instance the fast and not expensive Sandisk Extreme Pro USB 3.0 UHS II SD Card Reader.

I'd like to mention this again (copy from one of my previous posts on a faulty card) "I was able to copy the files through the camera‘s USB port via cable to the PC. It looks like the camera was able to read back what it has written itself to the card".

… and formatting the card in the PC (the long ExFAT formatting cycle, not the quick one) instead of in-camera formatting solved my card issues.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:05:27 am by JaapD »
Pages: [1]   Go Up